Michael Edge's workbench

On 13/10/2020 at 07:12, Enterprisingwestern said:

Due to the crazy way the current railway operates, 9T79 nowadays is likely to a WCML Pendolino working or some such!

Mike

A bit of thread swerve, 9T79 today is the 14.32 Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5. Promise I won't make a habit of this.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, great central said:

A bit of thread swerve, 9T79 today is the 14.32 Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5.

29 minutes ago, great central said:

A bit of thread swerve, 9T79 today is the 14.32 Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 5. Promise I won't make a habit of this.

1 minute ago, great central said:

Seriously?????

• RMweb Premium

More work on the 1361 this week.

IMG_0374.jpg.870f48b27483a6890025dfefc1e9b174.jpg

It looks better with the tank on. The tank wrapper is etched with overlays for the top plates, three wires peg it to the cab front, the front will rest on brackets from the boiler. Saddle tanks are not rested directly on the boile cladding although they are often fixed to the smokebox - they couldn't be fixed at both ends or the boiler wouldn't be free to expand lengthways. The cab is finished now, this one has the original roof, next job will be to fit the injectors and tank support brackets to the boiler - might all be finished next week.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I put this on the Judith Edge kits thread but it might be worth repeating it here.

Etch for the LMS high sided tender I built for 40936 - only one available (I have two but one already booked by Blandford on here) and it won't be repeated, price is £32 + £1.50 postage.

t.jpg.f95a6c98184dc17fb796ce5e34aaf246.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

latest test track view

2092288960_testtrack04-12-20.jpg.fd2341252a62a40f092ca5557c02ffee.jpg

The 1361 is still here, Q4 has moved on a bit now and the etch for the 05 controls has arrived so that will be moving this week. Steelman frames are part of some experiments to replace the Bullant drive it was designed around.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

latest test track view

2092288960_testtrack04-12-20.jpg.fd2341252a62a40f092ca5557c02ffee.jpg

The 1361 is still here, Q4 has moved on a bit now and the etch for the 05 controls has arrived so that will be moving this week. Steelman frames are part of some experiments to replace the Bullant drive it was designed around.

Is that an O4 at the left Mike? Is it an existing kit or a home brew?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Is that an O4 at the left Mike? Is it an existing kit or a home brew?

I mentioned the O4 a while back somewhere, I acquired it as a running frame years ago - possibly built by Peter Everton. It's now got a new gearbox and motor and I've started building the rest of it as an O4/5. There are some of my etched parts in there and I might yet replace the motion - but at the moment it runs very well so I'll  build the rest of it first and I now have two tenders to build. Building the same tender over and over again is one of the really boring parts of modelling the GC and CLC.

The outside cylinder J94 must remain a mystery for now but I'm sure you'll hear about on here eventually.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

More on the Little Engines D10 today.

IMG_0427.jpg.963147c48ded12e0d3f47f73ece682f0.jpg

The loco compares quite well with our etched version but the tender is bit of a mish mash. The tank comes out slightly narrower than the normal 4000 gallon tender but the detail castings fro the front end are from the wider self trimming variety so it will need a new bunker front, The coal space is more like the self trimming one but not as wide as it should be for that - it will do for this one but will need plenty of coal in it. The designer obviously didn't realise he was looking at two different tenders - possibly the drawings for the one he wanted and photos of Butler Henderson.

Mostly details now, all the big bits are done.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, rka said:

If you don't need the ds10 Mike, would you be interested in selling it as I have a few alexander models diesel kits which could use it. 

Best regards Richard 

If you can find them, Mashimas fit well :)

IMG_20170612_143144.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The DS10 is available from Branchlines as a Hanozono 10x24. I think the one I have may have had its shaft cut short at one end - for motor bogies like that I use Mitsumi motors but double ended ones can be hard to find sometimes.IMG_0511.JPG.6983b6b60edb7ca8d5e04ccf0351a4c1.JPG

Are those your 76 or the centre cab banker bogies?
I have a brass Tommy to build, it came from Ebay with motor bogies. Yours look one hell of a lot simpler.

• Agree 1

On 14/12/2020 at 18:05, Michael Edge said:

More on the Little Engines D10 today.

IMG_0427.jpg.963147c48ded12e0d3f47f73ece682f0.jpg

The loco compares quite well with our etched version but the tender is bit of a mish mash. The tank comes out slightly narrower than the normal 4000 gallon tender but the detail castings fro the front end are from the wider self trimming variety so it will need a new bunker front, The coal space is more like the self trimming one but not as wide as it should be for that - it will do for this one but will need plenty of coal in it. The designer obviously didn't realise he was looking at two different tenders - possibly the drawings for the one he wanted and photos of Butler Henderson.

Mostly details now, all the big bits are done.

The Dorman Sentinel is still there.
Just letting you know I'm still in the market for at least one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Are those your 76 or the centre cab banker bogies?
I have a brass Tommy to build, it came from Ebay with motor bogies. Yours look one hell of a lot simpler.

These are for an EF1 so same as 26510. I have done a similar arrangement for the EM1 but it isn't in production yet. Good to know there are plenty of the double ended motors available, they are just about ideal for these locos in terms of power and speed range.

The DL Sentinel will move on at some point, it's waiting for sandbox and boiler patterns to be made but there's another test etch to be built as well before it goes into production. Meanwhile there's a long queue of other test etches in 4mm and 7mm scales, the D10 is the last job in line for finishing before Christmas though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1