Brass deflectors for SR Schools Class

I purchased brass deflectors for the Hornby Schools Class a good few years ago. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got them, and they have no instructions or other identification. ISTR the gentleman telling me that I could get instructions from their website, but since I cannot recall the company, that's not of much help!

The deflectors themselves fit to the loco with the use of a welded tab (arrow in the photo).

But can anyone suggest what the items on the lower fret are? There are two frets, so two of these tabs for each deflector. I've tried looking at photos of Schools class locos with deflectors, but the use of these plates eludes me.

IMG_1639.jpg

Which version of the Hornby Schools engine is it for. I only ask because on the earlier engines the steampipe where you have a cut out on the bottom of the brass smoke deflector is modelled as part of the Hornby deflector. I do not know if the newer engines have the pipe as one piece and a cut out the same as your brass one.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bustered said:

Is it not the footstep that  goes on the lower curved portion of the defector?  May be two to give you a spare?

best wishes

Nige

Certainly looks like the step that fits in the slot on the deflector, and no doubt you get one fret with a pair of steps per pair of deflectors. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bustered said:

Is it not the footstep that  goes on the lower curved portion of the defector?  May be two to give you a spare?

best wishes

Nige

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Certainly looks like the step that fits in the slot on the deflector, and no doubt you get one fret with a pair of steps per pair of deflectors. 

Thanks gents, that's an interesting idea. The loco already has a footstep below the boiler but, as luck would have it, it's positioned a little too low to fit into that slot. I guess that I have two options: either fettle the deflector to make it fit, or remove the models footstep and use the one provided on the fret!

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Which version of the Hornby Schools engine is it for. I only ask because on the earlier engines the steampipe where you have a cut out on the bottom of the brass smoke deflector is modelled as part of the Hornby deflector. I do not know if the newer engines have the pipe as one piece and a cut out the same as your brass one.

It's R2742 Charterhouse. It doesn't have deflectors at all, so the steampipe is intact.

• 6 months later...

Hi Dee,

If  you cannot get an answer for a brass or white metal smoke deflector Airfix carry a huge range of spare parts for their old models. Now I know that Dapol now make the old Airfix engine models including the Schools class engine. So I suggest as a possible temporary measure you get in touch with either company and see if you can get some spare deflectors from the, I have used their spare dept for many things in the past with great results. They only charged me a minimal amount for the bits I wanted and postage. The other way but it may be a bit more expensive is to buy a model of their Schools class by Amercom. You can buy them direct from the company or get them off Amazon/Ebay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMERCOM-GREAT-BRITISH-LOCOMOTIVES-COLLECTION-1934-CLASS-V-NO-928-STOWE/202791507462?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f3750d606:g:qdoAAOSw0w9dlMhJ&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qURpBwW0KEIIMD0HOcUDPy3XXDbfpGPxJinlW282zu631WfkSjs4iPZkNoFuvvntxZ2W4qr6r7cEXZyA9jYOowi4t2ieAdVWj6bK1z7Mxyt%2Fa8fm8JuktZIy6EkZdKZzOMTJEGAh%2BKhAYooIuubNV4KTasDt9WlyD2AJZd5AlqTMMqmfOF2e6xxfR4MLUq2tt0NF0pzuIrciEJdSagYpczZ33jG%2BoWqucn%2Bj84VLmhJ3sV%2BAM%2B3Tmud6DTMwiw6KB1LyJ6nV1nesfZWLS1LRC7I5HSD4oUUq0KulYjG8pmYvOR1etohMfk%2BdsHA0pIkJjVcP0Z8PGPOEnkHFjicgkutiSRGeS9QoA7v27%2BUW1k8Djx%2BLxePsqFVQcLy0OylprYgLUTS%2FLoj7RENWXolfDAw74ZDQ1AVLc0EvlCqMKWU7%2FQfvuhKwQF%2FmwziZv8EvobvceNfpsk3KxpO8%2B8SplaCDw8Y4iRRJQ7nzXBDSILBT07USH6eSw9Flp68I%2Bs6i5EbNLij6KTJ3Q%2FdsbQLLhlIDMj7ABfzHuCPzFIq7Fq39ixq9SmxrVfOgNAPv5byWqxz0rBUU1UiaPQp8jbFuNt6zz2CnBJRXZIz%2BATjndFbOWmwB8oFN%2FVf%2Bs53RNAe5x%2FyZ5nX8G613Bt2eAPzAGsbfxKP8h4U33hUhKw4JE0HXhj%2ByJU665nE1dHfUrsPMo0oarTKuEJbO0vxJjIDFOAJCgmX1ixk4KURTZXCO7XbZw%3D%3D&checksum=20279150746210b6aa0436ea411da3ae9eae30ecabef

Edited by cypherman

Hi All,

SilverTay models does them for the current Hornby superdetail Schools..!

I know because I asked him to draw up and etch some for me about a year ago.

He's on eBay and can be found via Google.  No connection other than a genuinely very happy customer of his etched nameplates, smoke deflectors, Merchant Navy window frames and such like.

I'll try remembering to post his eBay account user name and his contact details tomorrow.

Cheers,

Plasticbasher

• Informative/Useful 1

Silver Tay Models' eBay account is "silvertay".

He can and does consider requests for nameplates and smoke deflectors if they are not in his current catalogue.

The number of eBay listings I currently see is around 750.  The ones for the Hornby Superdetail Schools are one of the options in a "muli-listing" for about 30 different smoke deflectors:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283536610878

Again, I've no connection here, but as a very satisfied repeat customer, I more than happily recommend Silver Tay Models.

Plasticbasher

Edited by plasticbasher
Correcting typo
  • Thanks 1