16 ton minerals

malcolmcelyn

25 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I believe they do several different versions, including the 'SNCF 'one, with cupboard doors, and the ubiquitous 1/108, built in the hundreds of thousands

I saw that, FC. A riveted version of 1/108 too.

9 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Cambrian, Parkside, Dapol are all pretty good kits. I've got about 3 dozen to build up 'whenIgettarowndtwit'.

Happy modelling,

Ian

Didn't know Cambrian did 0 gauge. Will have to check them out.

5 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Aaargh! Sorry Malcolm! I meant 4mm!.... 

No problem mate. I thought as it was in the 7mm specific section of the forum I didn't need to put 0 gauge in the title!

We sometimes 'assume' based on our own circumstances. I guess you model in 4mm?

According to your profile information 'Trying to make people laugh, especially on RMweb....'      It's working! 

Edited by malcolmcelyn

• RMweb Premium

PECO do a welded 16 ton mineral kit but at $47 it doesn't seem competitive with RTR, chassis available separately which is useful. 

7 minutes ago, Dava said:

PECO do a welded 16 ton mineral kit but at $47 it doesn't seem competitive with RTR, chassis available separately which is useful. 

I noted the price too, compared with r-t-r. Not much of a difference. I also saw the separate chassis, which I thought was priced rather well. Might be useful as a halfway house scratch/kit built wagon. 

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

No problem mate. I thought as it was in the 7mm specific section of the forum I didn't need to put 0 gauge in the title!

We sometimes 'assume' based on our own circumstances. I guess you model in 4mm?

According to your profile information 'Trying to make people laugh, especially on RMweb....'      It's working! 

Yes, principally in 4mm.  Humour is always welcome here, regardless of scale.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

And Parkside do a very nice plastic Kit.

image.png.8f79f94b2218649d803626484c2894fa.png

For anyone modelling French railways in 0 gauge, large numbers of the type shown above were sent to France after D-Day. Most returned to the UK soon after hostilities finished, but quite a few received an ingeneous modification into ballast wagons. Further side doors were fitted to the side panels on either side of the central one. Presumably, the ballast-dropping would rely on a combination of brute force and gravity.

8 hours ago, Dava said:

But it gives you a different model - independent brake gear with pressed end door. A rather finer kit than the Parkside-Peco version, for example the top lip is a properly open channel, not just a solid bar. And it has opening end and side doors which has modelling potential.

Beware that the underframe, although nice, has RCH plates and isn't suitable for later mineral wagons (or for the Pig Iron kit that uses it) without carefully removing them.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mr Parkin's kits with some patience  make excellent models 

20190801_211640.jpg.0f115535653ca9bf79f2811bc67bb1ef.jpg

And can do this as well

20190801_211805.jpg.fae8224fe3acc86b017813e661e71f8b.jpg

Yes I know I've got the body the wrong way round but I'm sure at least one was built like this!!

He also does several versions. The next on my list will be 8 shoe vacuum braked. 

Nick

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nicktoix said:

Mr Parkin's kits with some patience  make excellent models

correct. I think there can't be much improvement. MMP-kits are excellent.  But it needs its time.

HERE is my example.

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lima and Triang produced these many years ago and are much cheaper - before you dismiss them as inaccurate toys, have a look at what Ernie has done to rebuild them. There are lots of interesting hints and tips as well as details of other wagons in his topic here

• Thanks 1

If you get to Telford have a look on the E&,T stand. Whilst locomotives and coaches have aspirational prices, the humble mineral wagon rarely exceeds 25 pounds for an excellent example. Those needing a little TCL, much less.

4 hours ago, doilum said:

If you get to Telford have a look on the E&,T stand. Whilst locomotives and coaches have aspirational prices, the humble mineral wagon rarely exceeds 25 pounds for an excellent example. Those needing a little TCL, much less.

I'll be in Devon on holiday. What atrocious planning!

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2019 at 10:43, malcolmcelyn said:

Who makes the best r-t-r and kit versions of the ubiquitous 16 ton mineral wagon?

Hi Malcolm,

I am not sure where your from (possibly outside the UK) and apologies if I have missed something on this thread, but its worth looking at the Dapol versions, as bought from the right place there is hardly any difference in price - have a word with Chris Stafford ( @North Eastern on here ) who runs North Eastern Models.  Highly recommended, but no connection other than a very satisfied customer!  Also the Dapol models are very good in my view.

Rich

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Malcolm,

I am not sure where your from (possibly outside the UK) and apologies if I have missed something on this thread, but its worth looking at the Dapol versions, as bought from the right place there is hardly any difference in price - have a word with Chris Stafford ( @North Eastern on here ) who runs North Eastern Models.  Highly recommended, but no connection other than a very satisfied customer!  Also the Dapol models are very good in my view.

Rich

South Wales Rich, but it's my first foray into 7mm so who makes what and how much is still largely a mystery. I know a fair bit about railways, particularly God's Wonderful, but less about modelling and even less about 7mm. I've bought a Dapol class 08 (green, to be repainted blue to match my late 70's/early 80's theme), sound (Paul Chetter's version) and hope to make a start on a small shunting layout soon. Or, I might leave the 08 in green and add a Minerva 57xx pannier! I'm the least decisive person on the planet!

• Like 1