Tilbury tank DCC sound suggestions

Hi;

For my scratch-built 7mm 4-4-2 LTSR Tilbury tank I'd like to add DCC sound. Other than revving up "Thundersley" at Bressingham I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for something that might sound like one?

They had a pair of outside cylinders and were apparently originally designed by Mr Adams of the LSWR, so an Adam's Radial might do? The LMS and BR fiddled and tinkered with them; mine is to be in BR ownership with an extended smokebox and possibly LMS/BR whistle so perhaps a more modern tank loco?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Simon

This is a difficult one as every engine has it's own sounds. But for my two penneth worth I think the sound from a Midland 4-4-0 compound might work. That's an outside cylinder engine of almost the same wheel arrangement.

The Midland "Compound" had two outside cylinders with cranks set at 90 degrees which operated as a simple loco taking boiler pressure through a reducing valve when starting and taking exhaust steam from the inside cylinder when running normally.  Its a shame they didn't just blank off the middle cylinder and chuck away the inside con rod like Whale  did with the LNWR compounds as the Midland might have had a decent loco for once.

I would go with Adams Radial sound as I think both are slide valve engines.

DCC sound is in need of improvements before I would consider using it, it needs a mechanical Chuff trigger to keep the beats in time with the Loco and a means to vary the sound when puling hard or coasting, rather than sounding like its towing the QE2 while running slowly light engine

Thanks David; so...Midland Compound or Adam's Radial...I was wondering about the sound of the whistle...is there a 2 cylinder standard  BR tank engine that might do?

Cheers

Simon

On 02/08/2019 at 11:26, DavidCBroad said:

......... a means to vary the sound when puling hard or coasting, rather than sounding like its towing the QE2 while running slowly light engine

David,

All perfectly possible with ZIMO sound decoders for the last 10 years or so to my knowledge and use.

Of course, what onlookers hear is often a reflection of the way the models are being operated rather than the full range of sounds of which the decoders are capable.

Best regards,

Paul

Simon,

The Midland compound is a 3 cylinder loco, 2 high pressure and one low pressure and is unlikely to be a good sound match for your model.

I don't have reliable recordings of either loco to make any qualitative suggestions.

Midland or BR whistle sounds can be added to or replaced within existing sound projects of other similar tank engines which would probably meet your needs. Talk to sound project suppliers to see what might be possible.

Best regards,

Paul