Help please with control confusion

Nickt

I need some help from clever people on here please.

I have a tailchaser running on two loops, linked, cab control and each loop can be isolated and run independently. I have recently been tidying up the rat's nest of wiring and think I have upset something. It's DC.

Don't laugh, my controller is a H&M Duette which has worked well for the last few years BUT I now have the following issues:

With Resistance set to High and Wave Switch set to Half any of my locos will run fast in only one direction 

With Resistance set to Low and Wave Switch set to Half any of my locos will run at adjustable speeds but no gentle stop

With Resistance set to High and Wave Switch set to Full any of my locos will travel in either direction but all or nothing, just stop or go 

With Resistance set to Low and Wave Switch set to Full any of my locos will travel in either direction but no gentle stop

Thoughts on this welcome. 

Suggest you take your Duette off the layout, connect the controller one at a time to a simple yard of track and test in that configuration.

Report back here. That should identify any issue with the Duette, eliminating any influence from whatever you did to the layout wiring.

Rgds

• Agree 4

Being both lazy and easily confused, I thought I would try 34theletteretc's simple suggestion first and, disconnecting my mimic panel with stud and probe point control and indicator LEDs from the 16V AC socket, all is well! I shall now power the panel etc from a spare 'The Engine Driver' dual controller with 16V AC outlet which is probably as old as my H&M Duette. Having tested it, everything works.

Many thanks to all for suggestions, I knew there would be someone here with an answer. I shan't ask anyone to explain what the issue was  since I shan't understand.

I fear I may come back as other problems rear their ugly heads.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:30, Crosswood said:

...I shan't ask anyone to explain what the issue was  since I shan't understand.

I fear I may come back as other problems rear their ugly heads.

What you know from your 'solution' is that the point control has been attached 'somewhere' to the common return track power system. Presumably this happened during the 'tidying up' described in your opening post. So long as you power the point control from the independent controller you describe using from now on, you should not have a problem.

What I would do is write a note to this effect and stick it on the control panel somewhere as an aide memoire.

• Like 1

There is wise advice on here about making notes and labelling wires - can you guess who disregarded that. When setting it all up, it made sense but going back to it now it's bewildering. The need to tidy up was prompted by retro-fitting Seep point motors to previously manual points. That's another piece of advice I ignored - fit below the board point motors before pinning down, ballasting and doing the scenics.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Friendly/supportive 1