This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

Great Model Railway Challenge 2019

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks for the tip, Paul. I had thought it was going to be on in the Autumn.

I'd class September as Autumn, so episode 2 onwards will be in Autumn! ;)

Edited by Ramblin Rich
stupid little phone keyboard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 02/08/2019 at 16:56, D9020 Nimbus said:

Of course the date may change—ISTR it did last year.

It did change but only one week to the right, to during my holiday to America which meant I couldn’t watch it. I was told last time it took 6 weeks to edit an episode of 2 crews filming for 24 hours into 45 minutes (for the heats, the final had 3 crews and 36 hours of building), so they just have been a lot more disciplined on what they filmed and what they knew they needed to film. Unless they’ve given it a longer episode run... I’ll be watching for sure!

• RMweb Gold

As a participant in this years challenge, Steve Flint wanted the shows aired earlier so he had enough time to get the winning layout in the December issue of Railway Modeller in time for Warley.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As a participant in this years challenge, Steve Flint wanted the shows aired earlier so he had enough time to get the winning layout in the December issue of Railway Modeller in time for Warley.

May I respectfully request that you clarify whether you were a participant in the series, jools1959, or whether you were just referring to Steve Flint?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

May I respectfully request that you clarify whether you were a participant in the series, jools1959, or whether you were just referring to Steve Flint?

I was a participant with one of the teams in this years challenge but Steve was talking with the production company about scheduling to make sure the series was aired before Warley and he could make sure the winners were in MR at the same time.  I hope that clarifies things for you.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was a participant with one of the teams in this years challenge but Steve was talking with the production company about scheduling to make sure the series was aired before Warley and he could make sure the winners were in MR at the same time.  I hope that clarifies things for you.

Thanks, that's clearer now. Steve Flint is obviously a judge, so I couldn't see how he could have been a participant as well.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Art.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Massive spoiler alert: I didn't win. 

Then again I wasn't in it so kind of obvious. 

Seriously, looking forward to it. 

Strangely enough, neither did I - for exactly the same reason.

Joking aside, I'm also looking forward to watching this series. I also hope that everyone who was involved (in any capacity) enjoyed the experience.

8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks, that's clearer now. Steve Flint is obviously a judge, so I couldn't see how he could have been a participant as well.

Well, it could be argued that, as he was actively involved in the series, he also participated.

Saying that, I certainly get your point that, since he was a judge, he wasn't a member of any of the teams, so he also didn't compete. Just a minor matter of choice of words, really.

8 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

Are any other scenic techniques permitted?

I guess there'd be nothing to stop teams producing cardboard cutouts of streets - to diminishing scales, as you get further away from any viewer (or TV camera). Just saying ... .

Anyway, cutting through all that stuff, I'm looking forward to watching this series.

I could also add that, if I were to get the chance to take part in any future series (and follow through with it, without being forced to withdraw, due to family health issues), I'm sure I would also enjoy the experience. Whether this ever happens remains to be seen.

In the mean time, I'd like to thank everyone who's made this series happen, for what promises to be a number of hours of very watchable TV.

Regards,

Huw.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I could also add that, if I were to get the chance to take part in any future series (and follow through with it, without being forced to withdraw, due to family health issues), I'm sure I would also enjoy the experience. Whether this ever happens remains to be seen.

I was a team captain in this series and while it was a lot of work both before and during the recordings it was a great experience and we were really glad to have taken part.

• Like 7

Interesting to see that there are more episodes this time (two semi-finals as well as the final), and the episodes are longer (75 minutes rather than 60 minutes). So it clearly worked, from a TV perspective.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to seeing if I can do better than my children at picking the winners each time (last year, they correctly picked the winner in all but one heat). And it will be interesting to see if Heljan (or anyone else) get away with a bit of ambush marketing the way they did last year :)

• Like 1

It was huge fun to make. As team captain, the pre-work is more stressful than the filming, but my whole team really enjoyed the experience from start to finish.

We are in heat 5, so I'll update this thread with a URL to our team website, as this has more behind the scenes info and photos. We've also found a home for the layouts and they will be on display after the heat goes out.

More to follow...

• Like 2

Enjoyed filming this series. I would echo the hard work and stress. A big thanks to Hattons too whose warehouse currently houses stuff that is waiting for the series to air so it can see the light of day again.

The biggest take home from the filming was that I got a lot better (and quicker) at modelling, found I could do things that I had never tried before, and got to play with materials that I would otherwise have never even known about for modelling.

Jenny_GMRC2.jpeg.cac47035d98a783191409c32e6595878.jpeg

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 6

As the team captain of the first all female team on the GMRC 2019 I concur that it was hard work but also a great deal of fun. Our team was highly skilled but not necessarily in railway modelling and I am really proud of what we achieved in such a short time and under such pressure. The film crew made it very enjoyable even if they did seem to spend a lot of time round our layout. Our heat will be shown on the 13th September (Friday 13th but we are not superstitious!). 

F30A7A12-B9DF-4068-9A88-B6469E46CB5E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1