This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

Great Model Railway Challenge 2019

On 06/09/2019 at 18:35, Marcus-Jay said:

Ohh.. lots of video stills as I don't recall seeing many stills cameras around.

Hmm... Not so sure about that. Steve was taking quite a few shots during the filming but I think most of the layout shots will be of Season 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnR said:

Originally it was said that the shows would be an hour and a quarter long - that seems to have changed. Are there plans for extra footage to be shown? In the manner of "Bake Off: Extra Slice" or similar?

"Railway Challenge -  Delayed Service, sponsored by Southern Trains"??

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, JohnR said:

Originally it was said that the shows would be an hour and a quarter long - that seems to have changed. Are there plans for extra footage to be shown? In the manner of "Bake Off: Extra Slice" or similar?

GMRC: The Unseen Rivets

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Robin Brasher said:

I am busy on Friday 13th September.  Does Channel 5 repeat the programme? If so may I please have details?

It will be available on Channel 5s 'catch up' service (https://www.my5.tv/) a few hours after broadcast. If you have a smart telly or other internet connected viewing device you can stream it online at a time that suits you.

(A better option is to record it on a PVR then play it back later as you can skip the adds)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

It will be available on Channel 5s 'catch up' service (https://www.my5.tv/) a few hours after broadcast. If you have a smart telly or other internet connected viewing device you can stream it online at a time that suits you.

(A better option is to record it on a PVR then play it back later as you can skip the adds)

The programs last series were available on my5 catchup seconds after the program began to broadcast.

They had the advantage that they showed few adverts. I think there were 3 ad breaks during the program and there were less ad's during each break with only one during the last break. It meant I finished watching the final program on catchup 5 minutes before the live program finished!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Still showing a one hour program though.

What is showing it as that? The Sky Go schedule is currently showing 8 to 9:15pm as the slot for the GMRC-2 show on Friday (Ch 5).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, john new said:

What is showing it as that? The Sky Go schedule is currently showing 8 to 9:15pm as the slot for the GMRC-2 show on Friday (Ch 5).

That changed from 1 hr some time during this afternoon.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Still showing a one hour program though.

3 hours ago, john new said:

3 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

That changed from 1 hr some time during this afternoon.

Well at least the start time remains the same.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

So has anyone else read the magazine they brought out? Not a lot in it for seasoned modellers except the "form list" for the competitors, but looks good for those wanting to make a start in the hobby.

It has its own thread here:

• Like 1

Tomorrow the LocoLadies and the Railway Men of Kent who took part in Heat 3 of the GMRC will feature in a national newspaper. It is a positive in that it has the potential for widening the audience for the show.... just not a paper we would normally read. It is The Daily Star. Organised through Channel 5. Never expected when I started my layout in 2017 with my grandchildren to have a tv crew and a professional newspaper photographer come and photograph it. 

8CE104B0-C2AF-4134-A0E5-419B6EB1CDAD.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

I've just been watching the filmed inserts for the series which we shot at the Leamington & Warwick MRS a few months ago.  Some really interesting video with the background replaced by skies in the same way we do in magazines, plus simulated smoke. The shots, mostly taken on a GoPro hanging on the end of a boom are very impressive.

Plenty of spotting fun for anyone who knows Kimble, Duxbury and Clarendon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

National newspaper centre spread with the Railmen of Kent, also in Heat 3 on the GMRC alongside the LocoLadies.  It was, however in the Daily Star - not a newspaper we would have expected to see model railways in. They did a good write up though and hopefully more people will watch the show as a result! (Channel 5 asked us all to do the article). The dinosaur was put there by my grandson so we decided to keep it there. 

D9385554-4938-47C6-97C8-04C088CF41C8.jpeg

• Like 6

• AY Mod locked this topic