This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

Great Model Railway Challenge 2019

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, Radio Times website reckons Aug 30th at 8pm, the first episode of 6 about luxury trains (the blue train) followed by the World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship, and the Channel 5 website only goes as far as 27th August.

Channel 5 up to its old tricks? Not seen any trailers on Channel 5 yet, either.

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Morgan said:

Hmm, Radio Times website reckons Aug 30th at 8pm, the first episode of 6 about luxury trains (the blue train) followed by the World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship, and the Channel 5 website only goes as far as 27th August.

Channel 5 up to its old tricks? Not seen any trailers on Channel 5 yet, either.

That's what it says in the print edition as well

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And time for the Loco Ladies to step out of the shadows (one of the Heat 3 teams)

Loco_Ladies.jpg.605b32c7ae7c4cec99e1ce4bad69e4d7.jpg

Another Heat 3 team were the Railmen of Kent

railmen_of_kent.jpg.ef88afd8ff637a64e1c60680c60bd6ec.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get the other team (The Cambrian Coasters) in front of my camera, sorry.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Ian. Good to be in contact. Nice pictures too. How are you all?  Pleased the GMRC has been put back to September too. One of my team was set to miss the first two as were some of my family. 

This is is the only picture I got of the Cambrian Coasters! They were having a discussion about something. 

FC20D711-4717-4ED1-A811-6FED79D15755.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the male teams in Heat 3 were all from a single family, but I do not remember which team that was.

It has been a mad year for the Basingstoke Bodgers, but when this year's series airs, perhaps we can drop back into obscurity and get on with our 'proper' modelling.

To all the teams, have fun, enjoy yourselves, and get ready for the 'selfie' requests.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

Friday 13th September is the revised starting date.

Channel 5 could have chosen a more auspicious starting date for the series...  :jester:

At least it doesn't affect the fate of the participants, good luck to them all!

Team Grantham checking in.

1440722288_SteveFlintphoto.jpg.6cb41c48105cc434cf9da28077ad8bd3.jpg

Look out for us in Heat 5, Friday 11th October

1485318243_HeatDay1pm_3.JPG.a975cc1f955d1f40e56feea522cac9b5.JPG

Copious pictures taken but obviously can't post those just yet so I'll just leave these here for now. The team photo was taken by Mr Flint no less for possible inclusion in a feature in Railway Modeller.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes across on the little screen.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It was only slightly confusing having Team Grantham - from the North East AND a team from Grantham (Muddle and Go Nowhere) in the same heat! 

Hopefully the audience will work it out!!

This was our shot taken by Steve Flint. I gather there's a special publication dedicated to the series coming out to coincide with the transmission date.

1868465598_TeamShot-SteveFlint.jpg.ac570ae4f06c3be51d4ff0a8791ed9b5.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2019 at 09:25, PhilJ W said:

Glad they sorted out the date, it was getting a bit confusing.

But there's still a fortnight to go.

Plenty of time to change the date again :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Five of the Corby Steelmen ready to go, but the sixth, the old fella is lying down on the job lol.  We were in heat 1 and shown on Friday 13th, so not sure if this is a good or bad omen lol.

E4277B17-73B3-41BA-A7A5-A81ECAD717F1.jpeg

07003723-8938-4130-B644-87F9D8A8A2D2.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As 3mm seems to have made an appearance, I wonder if there will be any 2mm layouts this year? While I model 4mm, I think for the general public that 2mm being on the show could help interest in the hobby as it allows for layouts that can fit in today's rabbit hutch homes.

• Like 2