D9013 Meld Lights

wilwahabri

Being a tinkerer at heart I am trying my hand at DCC, in fact DCC++ a home brew complete DCC base station and control software. So I thought I would star with a converted loco. All mine are DC so because it has lots of space iinside I decided to convert D9003. This is a Lima offering and it runs well. I have obtained a Lenz standard+ decoder as I am not interested in sound on board. I have hooked everything up and it all works as it should.

There are spare auxiliary outputs on the DCC decoder, and I have it in my head to tart up the old girl and giver her cab lights and running lights. I currently have two questions:-

This is a early unit in BR green over lime green lower body stripe with red drawbar / buffer beams showing through the lime green stripe between the buffers. It has all green front and rear ends and has a headcode board fitted centrally above the buffers at each end. It also has mouldings to represent lights immediately above the buffers at each end. What I would like is someone to point me to a site which details the various prototypical lights fitted to the ends of this loco. The headcode board is black and does not feature a position for lights on this model

I have tried to read the manual that came with the Lenz Standard plus decoder but I cannot determine if the running lights can be made to automatically change ends when the loco changes direction. I can program a change of auxy outputs into my control codes on direction change but need to know if that is going to be necessary

Appreciate your assistance

Bill

Edited by wilwahabri
correcting typo

• RMweb Premium

The two small lights above the buffers were red tail lights. Only one or other would be lit and only on the trailing end when running light engine (i.e. not coupled to a train).

The headcode panels were backlit using ordinary tungsten bulbs (allowing the white letters/numbers to show) and only the leading end one would be lit. Bear in mind the headcode lighting should be a dim, yellow shade (i.e. barely noticeable in daylight) and not blaring LED white.

No idea about the Lenz, sorry!

Thank you gents a great help. 

This begs another question, what about headlights? I see some of the later arrangements have two white lights (well tungsten) one each side of the headcode but there does not appear to be a headlight fitted to these engines at this stage of their life. I have seen one with the small yellow panel at each end featuring a box on the front, just above buffer height and on the left of centre when viewing from the front, is this the 'Wipac' headlight I keep reading about? If so when was this used? And does this mean that initially the locos ran with the driver unable to see the track ahead when it was dark?  At this time were they attaching a lantern to the front end on the clip above the buffer?

appreciate your assistance

Deltics never carried headlights (except 9000 early on) in normal service , the one you will have seen are preserved examples with Hellraiser headlamps, 9016 carried Wipac marker/tail and headlamp cluster when in Poterbrook purple. Re tail lamps, original only one tail lamp was required to be lit but a mod was done so both would illuminate, this was done on most classes.