What is this coach

mswjr

Can anyone tell me what coach this is, the photo was taken at Malvern rd Chelt, It was on a facebook page, I ask because I have never seen a coach with the wording CAFETERIA on the side, any info welcome Thankyou

67710133_10157781134480934_3714324332176998400_o.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the Maunsell cafeteria car S7853 originally a full diner of the same number.  This was later reallocated to the WR as W7853S which might explain its appearance in Cheltenham.  

http://www.britishrailways.info/SR COACH NOS.htm

Edited by Gwiwer
Added web link
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It is in lined maroon so I don't think it is a SR allocated Cafeteria Car. From the windows and turnbuckle underframe I would say it is an ex-Gresley Restaurant-Cafeteria car, most likely W9212E as that was the only WR allocated one of this type.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Looks like the Maunsell cafeteria car S7853 originally a full diner of the same number.  This was later reallocated to the WR as W7853S which might explain its appearance in Cheltenham.  

http://www.britishrailways.info/SR COACH NOS.htm

I agree; the windows are Maunsell type.  A Gresley would be wood panelled, not sheeted, and a Thompson would have different window profile.  And the coach is allocated to the WR, which explains the lined maroon livery.  'Cafeteria' suggests some sort of self service arrangement!

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, mark54 said:

It is in lined maroon so I don't think it is a SR allocated Cafeteria Car. From the windows and turnbuckle underframe I would say it is an ex-Gresley Restaurant-Cafeteria car, most likely W9212E as that was the only WR allocated one of this type.

Certainly looks like a Gresley bogie on the right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I agree; the windows are Maunsell type.  A Gresley would be wood panelled, not sheeted, and a Thompson would have different window profile.  And the coach is allocated to the WR, which explains the lined maroon livery.  'Cafeteria' suggests some sort of self service arrangement!

The Gresley cars got Maunsell type windows when they were rebuilt by Eastleigh (they had originally been sleeping cars and were converted to ambulance cars during WW2. From 1954 they became available to convert to Cafeteria cars). They also had steel panelling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Could it in fact have arrived at Cheltenham by a train over the M&SWJ route, or was catering too grand a thing for those services?

Judging by the headcode on the 'Castle' I reckon we are looking at a race day and that cafeteria car was in a race special with the stock stabled at Malvern Road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picture from Robert Carroll's collection of W9217E .

13644395663_a334c984de_z.jpgW9217E_FaringtonJct_28-7-62 by robertcwp, on Flickr.

Looking at some old CWNs I see that in September 1955 no. 9211 was in the Margate - Birkenhead circuit and 9213 was on the Bournmouth - Birkenhead. These worked north and south on alternate days.

Bill Bedford does an etch for these conversions. See the last item on this psge.

https://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/sides/BR/br_sides4.html#sr-ex-lner-r-caf.

Do I feel a project coming on?

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:47, mark54 said:

The Gresley cars got Maunsell type windows when they were rebuilt by Eastleigh

Does that make it a Gresell coach?

• Funny 1

On 01/08/2019 at 22:36, The Johnster said:

Gresleys were re-panelled with steel and some lost their beading. Not all Gresleys were beaded and teak.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2020 at 10:49, TheSignalEngineer said:

Bill Bedford does an etch for these conversions. See the last item on this psge.

https://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/sides/BR/br_sides4.html#sr-ex-lner-r-caf.

Do I feel a project coming on?

Well, I did but @billbedford has redone his website and this item no longer appears to exist. 

Doh!!

Edited by TheSignalEngineer