Paris 1889

3 hours ago, PatB said:

Is it too late to suggest that, with enough clearance/a strategically placed hole in the tabletop, it would be entirely possible to animate the ascent and descent of the balloon?

A super idea!!

Isn't it just amazing how many creative ideas people come up with for a layout no bigger than a large pizza?

Unfortunately, nice as it sounds, I don't think I will go down that path. With the trainshed and a lot of the details firmly (I hope!) stuck to the baseboard it is now tricky to turn the layout upside down for construction work without crushing something. Also, as you say, it would need a hole in the table/ sideboard top to accommodate the 'rope' when it comes down.

But I will certainly keep it in mind for a future Version 2, "Paris 1900"  :D

Edited by faded_Glory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, faded_Glory said:

A super idea!!

Isn't it just amazing how many creative ideas people come up with for a layout no bigger than a large pizza?

Unfortunately, nice as it sounds, I don't think I will go down that path. With the trainshed and a lot of the details firmly (I hope!) stuck to the baseboard it is now tricky to turn the layout upside down for construction work without crushing something. Also, as you say, it would need a hole in the table/ sideboard top to accommodate the 'rope' when it comes down.

But I will certainly keep it in mind for a future Version 2, "Paris 1900"  :D

Thinking about the idea further, I wonder if one of those automatically retracting car radio aerials, the type that appear to roll onto a reel when retracted, would be rigid enough to support the balloon. I've never actually handled one so I don't know. It would sort the mechanism in one go and would reduce the depth needed to something feasibly hidden inside a plinth, rather than needing clearance all the way to ground level. 

• Like 1

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, especially with limited space like i have, a compact tale told is amazing to see. Of course, you got me thinking about printing 3D statues for the fountain and having followed the link to that amazing resource of files, the pictures here are a quick (ha!) experiment of what my humble Creality Ender3 can produce with a little fettling in Cura. The central muse has a malformed arm and there's a few hairy bits but they can clean up. I'll undercoat it tomorrow to see how that looks.

n2vf8i8s6g336j24g.jpg

jokm0pa1pn927jr4g.jpg

• Like 1

Oh that is really nice! Does that site contain any actual fountains?

I am still musing about how to fill out the empty corners either side of the entrance to the building. There are small platforms there that cry out for a display of some sort (visible in the third picture in my post above). They are only an inch long by half an inch or so wide.  One idea is to place some nice statues of Greek goddesses or other scantily clad classical ladies. I actually got something from China but their scale works out at an actual height of 5 meters, which is ridiculous. Your sculpture group looks excellent but is probably still a little bit too big to fit there.

Alternatively, I thought of some potted palm trees, or small blossoming fruit trees. I have something on order from China but things take forever to arrive these days.

Edited by faded_Glory

https://www.myminifactory.com/scantheworld/

There's so many models, it's hard to say what they have. I'm going to attempt the Venus de Milo this morning, smaller than the above to see what detail I can retain.

edit;

k660d2ar1lg2gne4g.jpg

Bottle caps and rule for scale. This came out OK, just a little clean up needed. 

Edited by wagoneer
including a new image

The Chinese palm trees arrived today. Out of the bag they are very shiny and plasticky, but nothing that can't be helped with a bit of paint.

IMG_20190910_181705.jpg.38bfcf29e130d5d294ee807523e31969.jpg

Planted in some pots I foud in my spares box they don't look too bad on the layout, I think.

IMG_20190910_183044.jpg.ce60b715049da27640a3a33a871eec44.jpg

Edited by faded_Glory
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Wearing my other half's gardening hat (not a very good fit), I'd say the pots might be a bit small for the size of the plants, in terms of both stability and sufficient soil to feed them. They do look good against all the wrought ironwork though.