Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Looking for a UK flat wagon ............

I don't model British OO but I recently bought a Hornby Terrier - only to support Hornby and Simon Kohler.

I've put it in my showcase and it's somewhat dwarfed by my other (larger) locos and so I thought one idea would be to place it on a flatcar as if it were being delivered to the Bluebell or similar circa 1965-70

What would be the most suitable RTR flatcar which can be found in my local model shop?

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Would a loco be out of gauge when on a wagon? I'd have expected it to be hauled in a train with the rods removed and tied up on the footplate.

The Terriers were small locos and so would have fitted on a well wagon without becoming foul of the loading gauge on most routes.

Here's one example - and I'm sure I have seen another black and white pic showing one somewhere as part of a mainline goods train, possibly 'Waddon' on her way to export to Canada via Liverpool.

An unlikely occupant of the goods yard at Pwllheli is ex-LB&SCR A1X "Terrier" 0-6-0T No. 32640 which has recently arrived on a well wagon. It has been cosmetically restored to a semblance of LB&SCR livery, though it is still carrying its BR number. It had been purchased by Sir Billy Butlin and had arrived to go on display at the Holiday Camp at Pen-y-Chain, along with Stanier "Princess Royal" 4-6-2 No. 46203 "Princess Margaret Rose". Both engines have since returned to steam, 32640 on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway as W11 "Newport". Saturday 8th August 1964. Slide No. 947.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I think a Terrier might just be in gauge on a Crocodile. (But I agree hauling it without rods would make more sense.)

ISTR a Dapol/Hornby Terrier's brake rodding is wider than the well of a Mainline Crocodile, so it does sit a little higher than it could.

If someone really wanted to support Hornby, why not build a credible micro layout only using Hornby Products...? As was proven on the James May programme, Hornby are expected to provide a total range of products, but modellers rarely use their materials.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps one of the Hattons or Oxford Rail Warwells in ex-MOD livery? The well is about 2 1/4 inches long, so is probably a little short. I'm not sure if anyone does a Flatrol though, as in the photo phil-b259 posted above.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:34, phil-b259 said:

The Terriers were small locos and so would have fitted on a well wagon without becoming foul of the loading gauge on most routes.

Here's one example - and I'm sure I have seen another black and white pic showing one somewhere as part of a mainline goods train, possibly 'Waddon' on her way to export to Canada via Liverpool.

An unlikely occupant of the goods yard at Pwllheli is ex-LB&SCR A1X "Terrier" 0-6-0T No. 32640 which has recently arrived on a well wagon. It has been cosmetically restored to a semblance of LB&SCR livery, though it is still carrying its BR number. It had been purchased by Sir Billy Butlin and had arrived to go on display at the Holiday Camp at Pen-y-Chain, along with Stanier "Princess Royal" 4-6-2 No. 46203 "Princess Margaret Rose". Both engines have since returned to steam, 32640 on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway as W11 "Newport". Saturday 8th August 1964. Slide No. 947.

Exactly what I had in mind in my OP.

3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Exactly what I had in mind in my OP.

The Vale of Rheidol locos, not much smaller (if at all) than a Terrier, used a Weltrol to travel to and from Swindon Works. Coaching stock used a converted Bogie Bolster. When not required, they were kept at Shrewsbury, IIRC.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:27, 298 said:

...If someone really wanted to support Hornby, why not build a credible micro layout only using Hornby Products...? As was proven on the James May programme, Hornby are expected to provide a total range of products, but modellers rarely use their materials.

Might this not be because other than the last 20 years of new tooling of RTR locos and rolling stock, 'everything else' - and let's start with the track - reflects RTR standards from the 1960s? Their own publicity material often suffers badly in this respect: here's a very credible new model of the Gresward Woolwich Bloomer, standing on a lumpen set track layout scene, the set track element of which was generally rejected for modelling purposes by the 1970s.

With my business management hat on, I do wonder if Hornby have made a full analysis of the profit benefit of the 'full range'. It's easy to ignore the cost of doing what we have always done. There can still be significant expenditures in continuing administration, production and distribution , even if the tooling is long ago amortised.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:27, 298 said:

... a Dapol/Hornby Terrier's brake rodding is wider than the well of a Mainline Crocodile, so it does sit a little higher than it could...

Much higher, it will I suspect be out of gauge for height, because the Dapol origin model is over scale height.

With the current model it might be necessary to either remove the brake rods, or carve recesses within the side members of the well wagon to accommodate them, for it too sit as low as it should on whatever bearers are required.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:59, Fat Controller said:

The Vale of Rheidol locos, not much smaller (if at all) than a Terrier, used a Weltrol to travel to and from Swindon Works. Coaching stock used a converted Bogie Bolster. When not required, they were kept at Shrewsbury, IIRC.

The L&Y Pug comes to mind as well- there was an article on them in one of the mags some years back which included a pic of a Pug on a well wagon, and IIRC the caption suggested this wasn't an uncommon method of returning them to works for overhaul. 

On 07/08/2019 at 10:43, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Much higher, it will I suspect be out of gauge for height, because the Dapol origin model is over scale height.

With the current model it might be necessary to either remove the brake rods, or carve recesses within the side members of the well wagon to accommodate them, for it too sit as low as it should on whatever bearers are required.

Am I missing something? In the photo above the brake rodding is well clear of the side members, not between them. Indeed only the tyres of the wheels appear to be between the side members. So if reality is modelled rather than what we think it should be, all should be well?

Just had a look at P79 of 'British Railways Unfitted and Vacuum-Braked Wagons' by Trevor Mann. He mentions that there were two 'Flatrol MDD' that were built with removable floor planks that revealed short sections of rail for the transport of locomotives. The rails were adjustable to accomodate different gauges and wheel bases. The wagons were in service until at least 1989.

• Informative/Useful 2