Signal-Boxes at West Moors

The first (?) signal-box at WEST MOORS (in Dorset, east of Wimborne) was on the Down side of the line close to the junction with the line to Fordingbridge. The SRS Box Register has little info on it other than that it was replaced in 1904 by a second box, on the Up side next to the level-crossing.

I know of only two poor, distant views of the first box (the ‘better’ of which is attached) , which appears to be a L&SWR Type 3 or 3A. There are many views of the 2nd box, which the SRS Box Register lists as Type 3A, yet it has the horizontal boarding above the windows (but no boarding below the windows – just brick) typical of Type 3B boxes. Curiously the late George Pryer listed the 2nd box as Type 3C, despite it not meeting his own criteria for that version (wooden ‘centre pillar’), but I'm ignoring that.

So:-

1. Does anyone know of a better view of the 'first' box please?

3. Given that there were quite number of Type 1 boxes along that part of the Southampton & Dorchester, might there perhaps have been a Type 1 at West Moors even before the ‘first’ box?

It is odd that a box built in 1904 was not a L&SWR Type 4 anyway, but such 'discrepancies' are not unknown (eg the replacement box at Lymington Junction) 

West Moors old SB in 1904.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chris, I am sorry for not replying sooner. Sadly like you I only know of 2 images. Certainly the South Western Circle Portfolio did not include anything on the first box.  I know of nothing else and you have probably spoken with Peter. 

Even the final box has lots of missing information, like where the door to the locking room was, a decent photo of the rear of the box rather than the one very distant view we have or a clear photo of the whole of the inside of the box, rather than the very limited view which the KRM has (although that is very useful)

Best wishes

Duncan