Insane pricing!

ianmacc

Visited a long standing model shop today. I will spare their blushes but:

Hornby 86219 Phoenix unboxed £95!

lima 87005 city of London unboxed £115

triang E3001 unboxed £75 ironically the rarest being the most reasonable!

Because apparently you just cannot get hold of them! They were there on my last visit a year ago lol...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Definitely priced over the top and likely to stay on the shelf for at least another year as well.  As regards "over the top" pricing then spare a thought for us poor modellers downunder where the word "discount" or box shifter" is unheard of.   Everything at full retail.  No wonder the likes of Hattons and Rails are so popular with us new model purchasers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Because apparently you just cannot get hold of them! They were there on my last visit a year ago lol...

Too many ones in the price for the Lima 87.:jester: No Lima loco should cost much over half that even in Mint and Boxed condition.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Optimistic pricing! :chok_mini: I do agree though: that is too much.

I feel some retailers (not all) really try it on with certain products. I get completely that some shops have to charge the RRP, simply because they don't sell anywhere near the number of items that the big box shifters move and that's fine. However, overpriced Lima models is a bit silly! 

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

I've heard of the term 'priced to sell', this is presumably the opposite. Perhaps the owner is really a collector and would rather keep them in the shop.

• Agree 1

Value is in the eye (and the pocket depth) of the beholder.

When will average model enthusiasts realise you can pay for the tooling AND the first sheet of 300 x 200 mm brass from an etcher for around half the money than just any one of those items.  Simple, often free, CAD takes all the accurate measuring out of the task. If you put tabs on connecting parts and use glue instead of solder, a great looking body and chassis can easily be assembled in a matter of days. The "deep state" hobby of precision model making is doing just fine without visiting any box shifters.  :)

Tim

7 hours ago, Nile said:

I've heard of the term 'priced to sell', this is presumably the opposite. Perhaps the owner is really a collector and would rather keep them in the shop.

I remember one of those TV programmes where they "sort out" failing retail companies. Mary Queen Of Shops I think it was.

It was a woman who owned a clothes shop and she over priced everything so that people wouldn't buy them as she wanted to keep them for herself. She was actually taking half the stock home. :lol:

Jason

• Funny 3

I have some lima diesels that i paid £8.00 for, and a couple of 3 car dmu's that cost £10 new, probably doubled in value in the last 30 odd years, Also a class 50 that was £4.99 from Taylor & Mckenna in Luton with a free Hornby wagon!!

4 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Just out of curiosity I googled Lima Class 87 City of London

There, on E bay, is one for sale for £38.50 - which more or less matches prices for such things I have seen at shows etc.

Yes there’s a lot of lima 87s on there. City of London is actually one of their more common offerings too. Just bought a Hal o th Wynd for 39.99 free postage. 

£20 seemed to be the going rate for City of London on ebay last year; some BIN. One of these was unused in a perfect box with the instructions included.

Phoenix tends to fetch a bit more but the IC 86's went for around the £20-£25 region.

1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

I visit several toy/train collectors fairs each year and never cease to be amazed at the astronomical prices being asked for, what to my eyes, is junk.

Each to his own i guess.

There's a regular toyfair that I attend locally and the same traders have the same old stuff month after month mostly overpriced Hornby and Lima - it amazes me why they bother actually.  But then of course all the really good deals are done before the doors open and the public get in - "ordinary" modellers and collectors don't get a sniff at it.

I used to enjoy the old swapmeets in the 80's-90's where private modellers would buy, sell or exchange at fair prices.  Greedy traders encroached and ruined them I'm afraid.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

I visit several toy/train collectors fairs each year and never cease to be amazed at the astronomical prices being asked for, what to my eyes, is junk.

Each to his own i guess.

By the same it amazes me that people are buying the stuff!

Mark Saunders 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Caveat Emptor Folks....

If you don't like the merchandise, don't buy the merchandise.

Carry a card with your telephone number.

The gambit is like this: " I really like the model, but your price is slightly unrealistic. If you have a fair price in mind, give me a call". Sure, you might not get to purchase, but your money stays with you.

There are lots of things I'd like, but I won't necessarily pay the earth for it.

Ian. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2019 at 22:09, ianmacc said:

I remember as a young teen seeing a new Mainline J72 (the most common variant) on a stall in Swansea Market for £25. The proprietor told me the same story of how rare and collectible they were; I was too polite to tell him that I'd seen several shop ads in the RM that morning, where they were less that £6.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2