Rc options fpr Dapol jinty??

DaleT

Hi folks

I recently got an o gauge jinty for an early birthday gift.. it is dcc sound fitted.  I dont actually own a dcc controller! However, before I splashed out on one for it (and the small railway Ive been planning for years) i wanted to know more about RC options.. 

Basically this is what I want.  I wamt to be able to control the loco from my mobile phone via bluetooth.  I also want to be able to have the sounds availiable.  

Can this be done? And also, is there people who make it there business to convert these locos? (As i dont dare attempt it myself!)

Many thanks

Dale

Simplest option now is a decent DCC system which allows computer or smartphone integration.  There are quite a lot of them.   What's the control budget ? 

Longer term, there are options with more direct control from smartphone to loco, without needing much of an intermediate system. 

- Nigel

23 hours ago, DaleT said:

I wamt to be able to control the loco from my mobile phone via bluetooth. 

Will your loco be battery powered or track powered?

...R

Edited by Robin2

Basically, if you get any DCC controller that can be connected to from the JMRI software, it can then work with a smartphone or tablet as the throttle, via a PC (or raspberry pi board etc.)

There are also direct WiFi interfaces to connect to controllers - eg. this is the one for Digitrax gear such as a Zephyr, that allows you to avoid using a PC and control things directly from a phone/tablet app.

http://www.digitrax.com/products/wireless/lnwi/

Example apps are at the bottom of that page - I use WiThrottle with an ipad occasionally, through JMRI on a laptop & a USB interface on a Digitrax Zephyr.

That's just one example, there are others but I'm not familiar with those.

JMRI, for reference:

http://jmri.org/

Note that if you are going to want to add more locos & be able to run more than one at a time, you will need a higher current rated device than the Zephyr I mention; that's just an example of control from a phone or tablet & my control-side gear is all digitrax.

You could equally use that WiFi interface with one of the high power Digitrax command stations like a DCS240.

Look at other manufacturers gear for price and capability comparisons & wait to see what others on here recommend before making any decisions. 

If you are in to building your own gear, it's worth looking at the MERG site - there are DIY designs & kits for pretty much everything you could need on there.

https://www.merg.org.uk/

Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments and advice..

Ive decided to stick with a normal dcc system for now and possibly add in the bluetooth control as mentioned above.  

Ive spent the last few days reading up on things - control (either dcc or Rc) is a vast subject in itself nowadays! 

I guess right now i just wanna play trains so im going to keep things simple (for me) 

Thanks again