Highland railway loch

Hello everybody, i haven’t been on rmweb much of late as i have been working and had little time for modelling of any kind, which is life...

ive finally decided to get my finger out and get on with something, and something different at that. I usually model lner and north british loco’s but, i have decided to do something new.

i have decided to have a go at a highland railway loch in original condition but in lms crimson. I came across a photo of my namesake loch garry in a colourised photo and it looks beautiful. I am planning to use parts from the Oxford adams radial tank for the conversion but need plans to do the rear end of the loco. 

Now being mainly a north british man im unsure who to ask for plans. 

Does anyone by any chance have, or know of someone who has or does a 4mm scale drawing of a loch.

many thanks, gary

524C43A0-4898-4EC9-972B-D694E3CF40DF.jpeg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, kingfisher24 said:

Hello everybody, i haven’t been on rmweb much of late as i have been working and had little time for modelling of any kind, which is life...

ive finally decided to get my finger out and get on with something, and something different at that. I usually model lner and north british loco’s but, i have decided to do something new.

i have decided to have a go at a highland railway loch in original condition but in lms crimson. I came across a photo of my namesake loch garry in a colourised photo and it looks beautiful. I am planning to use parts from the Oxford adams radial tank for the conversion but need plans to do the rear end of the loco. 

Now being mainly a north british man im unsure who to ask for plans. 

Does anyone by any chance have, or know of someone who has or does a 4mm scale drawing of a loch.

many thanks, gary

524C43A0-4898-4EC9-972B-D694E3CF40DF.jpeg

Gary,

"A History of Highland Locomotives" by Peter Tatlow has a number of 4mm drawings therein of HR locos and I'm sure it'll have drawings and details about the Lochs. It's out of print now but can be found second hand.

I'm away from home for another fortnight, but if you haven't managed anything by then I can scan the pages concerned and send them to you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gary

My father's book, noted above, contains the works general arrangement for the Loch, not a 4mm version.  The 4mm version was drawn and is in the (I think) Model Railway Constructor - probably the late 1980s.  It will also be available from the Highland Railway Society's archive service, although this is for members.

The best kit is the etched brass kit from Lochgorm Kits.  This range is under new ownership and I know the owner is struggling to get it all up and running but is getting there.  A note to him via the website will elicit an ETA for its reintroduction.  A white metal kit was available from DJH - presently out of production but they turn up on ebay a couple of times a year normally.

A very attractive loco  especially in lined red as your picture; so I would encourage you!!  I have a mostly built one which I must get my digit out on soon and finish.

43153080_1087797298054707_8842465281591738368_o.jpg

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I indulged in a second-hand copy of Tatlow (senior)'s book while on holiday - very distracting!

I'm still trying to work out exactly how the footplating goes around the front of the cylinders of the outside-framed 4-4-0s and how they got at the front cylinder covers for maintenance. The Lochs look to be nice simple engines by comparison.

Edited by Compound2632
Spelling.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

very distracting!

That's an understatement!  Even as someone who doesn't model the HR that book is full of temptation to abandon all else and have a go .....

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm still truing to work out exactly how the footplating goes around the front of the cylinders of the outside-framed 4-4-0s and how they got at the front cylinder covers for maintenance. The Lochs look to be nice simple engines by comparison.

Can't comment on how it was on HR locos, but on CR 'Crewe Type' 2-4-0's the footplate rose above the cylinders and stopped in line with their front.  The buffer beam was attached to both inner and outer frames, leaving a gap between it and the front of the cylinders, which would allow the front covers to be taken off.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

@Caley Jim, the Highland 2-4-0 and 2-2-2 Allan types are very much the same as the Caledonian engines; I suppose that to take the cylinder covers off, the buffer beam would be take down (as on any inside-cylindered engine). It's the arrangement Jones devised when building an Allan bogie engine that's been puzzling me - from the Duke class onwards. As far as I can work out, in addition to the quarter-circle curve up of the valence (of the same radius as the cylinder cover), there's a corresponding quarter-circle cut out in the footplating, with the void filled by a piece of metal formed into an eighth of a sphere, creating, I suppose, a sufficient space to lift the cylinder cover out but not, I think, sufficient room to withdraw the piston head and rod together.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

I think this model has it wrong as the 3D-curved plate obscures the cylinder cover but it's difficult to find unambiguous photos of the prototype as they're either side-on or forward three-quarters and from ground level - or at least, camera at eye level, i.e. roughly footplate level.

Apologies for hijacking this thread which was supposed to be about a nice sensible plain outside-cylindered bogie four coupled engine.

Even better, model a Small Ben - Peter Drummond followed his big brother in designing easy-to-model engines.

Apart from the mentioned written references, Am Baile (https://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/pages/ambaile.html) is thoroughly recommended for research on Highland Railway locomotives especially as most of the Highland Railway Society's photographic collection has been transferred and is available for reference.

This photo from Am Baile shows the footplate/valence cutaway on a Skye Bogie:

24750.jpg.34831b6dd21b6e2c4ac6bc2bd1aed334.jpg

So there is some intrusion over the front of the piston cover (but with enough wiggle room to remove the cover) so Pete Armstrong's model is not entirely incorrect.  In fact the most glaring error is the tender has been built with a running plate.  Until the Big Goods and the Lochs Highland tenders followed Crewe/Stroudley practice with the water tank sitting directly on top of the frames.

Other photos on Am Baile show that the discs of the cylinder covers were completely exposed on the Duke class engines.  For info the pistons on these Jones engines were attached to the piston rod with a nut.  Therefore, once the front cover was removed, the nut could be undone and the piston pulled forward and extracted.  The piston rod and crosshead could then be removed by pulling backwards them over the slidebars.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/08/2019 at 13:07, Compound2632 said:

Was Lochgorm not issued with any of the 14" transfers? 

No!

Not sure why (beyond a general statement that Lochgorm enjoyed being a long long way from officialdom!) but the large numerals was a feature of the 1920's highland section.

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2019 at 21:02, Caley Jim said:

Can't comment on how it was on HR locos, but on CR 'Crewe Type' 2-4-0's the footplate rose above the cylinders and stopped in line with their front.  The buffer beam was attached to both inner and outer frames, leaving a gap between it and the front of the cylinders, which would allow the front covers to be taken off.

Jim

If you want to model this feature, making the scallop section is really difficult but I hit on a wonderful trick.

Cat collar bells!  They are made of tinplate (or similar) so are easy to solder and have a small radius dish suitable for this.  They actually come in different sizes, so this does work for different scales.

So ask Tiddles to donate his collar to the cause!

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone I havnt been on here recently as I havnt had too much time for modelling except at my club. The loch is now is primer and just needs painting and lining, together with name and number. Some smaller details also need to be added but basically complete.

1FEF75AB-FC94-4320-97EB-CDD96DEB2D22.jpeg

852B1E64-9A53-4752-A9E5-876383017775.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another update on my Loch, the loco has had the primer rubbed down and two coats of both crimson (Vauxhall burgundy red) and satin black everywhere else. The cab interior is getting there, just needs some tidying up and spectacle glazing adding. Also converted to left hand drive not right, simply put this involves moving the reverser which I’d forgotten about.

D65903CB-2615-4123-94E2-F460D8C05AA0.jpeg

6A38DB10-5E09-49EE-813F-7A46D245FF19.jpeg

C966BEEE-71E0-43FB-AA4C-5493C219A4BD.jpeg

8E349F51-5C3E-4B1A-99FA-2246060E89DF.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Any reason for not using Rover Damask Red for the LMS red Gary?

Andy G

I don’t think they are very different. Whilst you might not want to use both on the same loco, what subtle differences there are would add a useful touch of verisimilitude to a stud of locos.

On 22/09/2019 at 16:33, uax6 said:

Any reason for not using Rover Damask Red for the LMS red Gary?

Andy G

Well I simply google searched a car paint to match lms crimson and that’s the first one which came up. To my eye it looks good enough for what I want.

the lining will go on next, but this is one loco that I am going to try to resist the temptation to weather (famous last words) 

gary

864FF419-2EB7-4B86-A91C-A6618DD36643.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Well that’s my Loch’s lining all but done, save for some minor corrections that may be needed, I’m not sure about the tender lining as I don’t have any photographs of a Loch from the rear, so I’ve used a bit of guesstimating for this lining. I used hmrs pressfix transfers for the lot including the crests and names. I did consider having a go with a bow pen that I recently got hold of but I chickened out.

just the name on the splashers to sort out now, well that and fireman and coal. But no weathering (for a change)

D34231DF-9FD0-4BED-BC9D-D8EC6885405F.jpeg

69544FFF-5B4E-4958-A7BE-BF34992E403C.jpeg

F8E47F80-7FA4-4B26-AFEC-DEFA20B34D5E.jpeg

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1