Highland railway loch

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

I have looked at getting names done and have even prepared some artwork (which is I think correct), which you can see here.  The issue I have is that this has been drawn in CAD and this does not compute into something that the printers can use, so it needs to be redrafted in Coreldraw or similar.  That is were it is stuck at present but it needs moving ahead.

Mark

Does your CAD have the option of output in .eps? Most printers can work with this format - but have a good look at it first to see if it has done exactly what you want.

13 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

I have looked at getting names done and have even prepared some artwork (which is I think correct), which you can see here.  The issue I have is that this has been drawn in CAD and this does not compute into something that the printers can use, so it needs to be redrafted in Coreldraw or similar.  That is were it is stuck at present but it needs moving ahead.

Mark

It was you, Mark!  If it is a vector graphic program I would have thought some of the transfer companies like Railtec would be able to use them directly.

Alan

Edited by Buhar

On 08/10/2019 at 14:58, Portchullin Tatty said:

Thanks for the several comments; I will look into this and reach out to Railtec.

I will update when I have some news.

Mark

I have just popped an enquiry over to Railtex with the artwork as below.  I will post again if they are willing and able to do it.

This is for the LMS period 1 style; with a serif font.  The period 2 style is not quite the same but 247 Developments used to produce some transfers for this; I don't know if these are still available.

Mark

image.png.6fcc8e55d42b61a128064f6a080ccf4c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

I have just popped an enquiry over to Railtex with the artwork as below.  I will post again if they are willing and able to do it.

This is for the LMS period 1 style; with a serif font.  The period 2 style is not quite the same but 247 Developments used to produce some transfers for this; I don't know if these are still available.

Mark

Very nice indeed, just what I need to complete Loch Garry.

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly comparing the lovingly drawn lettering above by Mark, and the piccy of Loch Garry on the first page (in LMS red) the arch of the real lettering is virtually flat. This highlights that actually these names and how they were applied to the real thing is an absolute minefield!

I am certainly interested in ordering some sheets of Marks transfers, as i have a fair few locos to name, sadly not many are the ones that are on the sheet!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

The distribution of letters in that alphabet might want tweaking - the frequency with which letters occur in Highland locomotive names is not the same as in a larger sample of standard English! At a glance, more of B D G H O S? The only instances of Q and Z I've found are included in the names given in full but if there's one with an X I've missed it.

Edited by Compound2632

Yep, no Xs required and the only Q is in Urquhart Castle and only Z in Clan Mackenzie.  Lot's of Cs and Hs needed.  I'd need two sheets just to do Clan Chattan as it stands.  That said, if they appear I will be ordering.

Alan

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 08:05, uax6 said:

Interestingly comparing the lovingly drawn lettering above by Mark, and the piccy of Loch Garry on the first page (in LMS red) the arch of the real lettering is virtually flat. This highlights that actually these names and how they were applied to the real thing is an absolute minefield!

I am aware that this is sometimes true; it is a bit of how many of them can you do!!

On 11/10/2019 at 09:31, Compound2632 said:

The distribution of letters in that alphabet might want tweaking - the frequency with which letters occur in Highland locomotive names is not the same as in a larger sample of standard English! At a glance, more of B D G H O S? The only instances of Q and Z I've found are included in the names given in full but if there's one with an X I've missed it.

Point taken and I will take a look at this.  At the very least i'll ditch the unused letters for a few Cs and Hs!

Lets here back from Railtec first.

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

I know you're waiting to hear on the next possible step.  But I came over with a touch of the Compound2632s and ended up counting the occurrences of letters in HR names.  I know some names were mis-spelled on occasion and I haven't got your Dad's book to hand to check.  I've also omitted the Castle, Clan, Ben and Loch part of the names.  It looks like this in summary:- 

66 A

40+ NR

30+ EHILO

20+ CTU

15+ DGMS

10+ BY

5+ KVW

2+ FP & hyphen

and no J (as well as no X)

L pops up 4 times in Ballindalloch Castle (so 8 required!)

H, N, R & T are seen 3 times in a single name.

A, C, E, G, I, O, S & U are found twice in a single name.

There is also the apostrophe, which you could probably manage with a sliver of another letter if you needed it.

There are some lovely names there.  Interesting how the Large Bens are all pure Gaelic whereas the Small Bens and the Lochs were a mixture. 

Best of luck with your endeavours

Alan

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Buhar said:

L pops up 4 times in Ballindalloch Castle (so 8 required!)

Being pedantic, 'L' pops up 5 times in Ballindalloch Castle (so 10 required!)

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

Being pedantic, 'L' pops up 5 times in Ballindalloch Castle (so 10 required!)

Even more pedantically, that's a name that is on the sheet in full, so if you're not modelling that particular loco, it's a goldmine of Ls. It even gives you a spare

LOCH!

To save space, you could have just CLAN MACK with ENZIE and INNON as alternative suffixes.

Now you've got me going on Highland anagrams...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Thanks all and Buhar, you need to get out more ;)

The choice of names was not accidental.  Some years ago, the HR Society produced a number of smokebox number plates.  These names mostly match these with a few others that I fancied!  The numbers for the numberplates were in turn selected to represent a good cross spectrum of locos and variants within the class but with an eye for the more long lived members - thus most people's choices ought to be covered in the core names.

Steve at Railtec has been in contact and has said he will try to use the CAD files I have given him but is not sure they will.  I can see a redrafting in a different programme coming!

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2019 at 23:22, kingfisher24 said:

46A46FD5-A0CD-4871-A5C8-6DCD87622618.jpeg

A2737CDF-518E-4403-8373-958931C8BAEC.jpeg

This looks like a very tempting conversion was yours's based around the Hornby or Oxford Rails Adams Radial, please, also where did you source the chimney and dome from, please?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 12:06, Strathwood said:

This looks like a very tempting conversion was yours's based around the Hornby or Oxford Rails Adams Radial, please, also where did you source the chimney and dome from, please?

Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry I havnt been on rmweb very often of late. It’s the oxford Adams I used for the conversion. As the Hornby one has more weight which is part of the chassis and would need filed off. The oxford model on the other hand has less or infact nothing that needs removal, plus the boiler is in one piece which saves having to make a new boiler.

CE4E2353-E832-4C49-B1A0-9705FCB3557A.jpeg

51D587CF-79FF-4C44-B092-20BA097303DA.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 30/10/2020 at 07:13, Strathwood said:

Thanks for the advice on the chassis, how about the dome and chimney, please as Lochgorm Models seem to be closed forever now, perhaps?

Kevin

Aw the dome and chimney I couldn’t tell the origins of them as they were given to me by a friend but I think they’re from a djh loco kit. Failing that chimneys can be made using brass tube and washers etc.

gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 15:51, Portchullin Tatty said:

Mark

Have we had any update on the Loch names by any chance?

Gary