Highland railway loch

• RMweb Premium

I've got a couple of the old the old N gauge banking tank kits, and that Del Prado Duke,  Ive not yet studied the Del Prado with a view to motorising but I'm pretty sure it'll have to be tender drive and a new chassis and bogie for the loco. 

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Just lining the drivers for my Loch (DJH kit) and Small Ben (Sutherland) and doing some more lining on a Sutherland Banker. All are going LMS red. It's a fun learning curve..... I'm using a bow pen, I just find lining transfers too fiddly..

Andy G

• Like 1

Inverness applied the crimson lake livery by the book with appropriate adjustment to take into account the curves on the cabs etc. I have only a couple of rear views that show a lined panel on the tender. Unfortunately, none are of a tender with the toolbox above the bufferbeam. I think the question is whether that was lined or not. Logic suggests it would have been. An enquiry to the HR Chatline will get better informed views.

Alan 

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the picture at the top of the thread, the tender shown doesn't look to have a toolbox... There was lots of tenders that had them removed. Some had the tanks extended, some not.

I've not got Vol 1 of the RCTS book with me today, but I would expect that the toolbox would be lined and the panel above lined too. I'll have a look when I get home.

Andy G

41 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Going back to the picture at the top of the thread, the tender shown doesn't look to have a toolbox... There was lots of tenders that had them removed. Some had the tanks extended, some not.

I've not got Vol 1 of the RCTS book with me today, but I would expect that the toolbox would be lined and the panel above lined too. I'll have a look when I get home.

Andy G

Ahh, I hadn’t actually hadn’t noticed that Loch Garry didn’t have the tender box, I just went with the drawing of the jones goods tender in my book of highland loco’s. I think I’ll line it but need some more cream lining as I used all of the lining in my transfer sheet to do the loco and tender. Also the frames still need lining out also.

Edited by kingfisher24

I've just been through my Loch information and pictures.  It seems the removal of the Stroudley style toolboxes began in HR days, connected with increasing the tender capacity in line with the extra three built during WW1.  However, as Andy says not all had their tenders lengthened.  The process was completed by the LMS, so I think it was unlikely that any Lochs had rear toolboxes and LMS livery.  Unfortunately, I have a rear view of Loch Garry in HR livery with the extended tender and no box.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

It’s also interesting that l can find no images of HR locos in LMS Red livery that actually had tender toolboxes, something that I had not noticed before.

Don't forget that the buffer beams need a black outline, with a thin yellow line against the vermillion. 
Lining LMS Red takes for ever, just as you think you’ve finished you find another bit to do! It takes an age, but it really is a splendid livery and on your Loch it looks very fine.

Andy g

Neither have I, Andy, but as it's not quite the full width of the tender tank it wouldn't be visible in the standard three-quarter views.  In avoiding being definitive about the LMS configuration, I was going by articles in the HR Journal and some notes by Mike Edge.   When I get round to my kit, I won't be adding a toolbox.

Alan

9 hours ago, uax6 said:

Which transfers are you using for the names please? I've got a big long list to do sometime soon!

Andy G

I think I’m going to have to plump for the fox transfers, as they’re the only ones for highland loco’s. The ‘but’ being that they only do them for highland livery loco’s. This I may have to live with.

6 hours ago, Buhar said:

I've just been through my Loch information and pictures.  It seems the removal of the Stroudley style toolboxes began in HR days, connected with increasing the tender capacity in line with the extra three built during WW1.  However, as Andy says not all had their tenders lengthened.  The process was completed by the LMS, so I think it was unlikely that any Lochs had rear toolboxes and LMS livery.  Unfortunately, I have a rear view of Loch Garry in HR livery with the extended tender and no box.

Alan

Thanks for the information on Loch Garry. I thinks it’s going to have to be a case of just ignoring the toolbox as it’s built as part of the tender, and if I removed it there would be a large gap. So I’ll just leave it as is.

• RMweb Premium

Highland transfers are available, but I’ve not yet found any LMS ones that feature the names. The Highland ones are completely different to the LMS style. I’ve sent an enquiry off to CCT to see if he can help, so hold that thought!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought: is the serif style used by the LMS sufficiently close in style and size to the lettering used on carriages? 

Not a full alphabet, though.

LMS SLEEPING DINING KITCHEN BUFFET CAR -> LOCH GARRY

Looking at the smaller size on the HMRS sheet - waist lettering for panelled stock rather than lower panel lettering for steel-sided carriages, the availble lettering is:

LMS DINING SLEEPING CAR MILK VAN - no H, O, or Y.

Edited by Compound2632
Ref HMRS transfer sheet.

A good while ago on here someone was canvassing/contemplating transfers for Highland loco names, I don't think it was Mark Tatlow (who would have been a prime suspect) but I can't find it on a site search.

• RMweb Premium

Well I have a friend who can do the required artwork (l hope) so it may take some time, but I think I can get some made. The ideal way l suppose is to do sheets of names by class, although there is a fair few that way. I’m not going to need many of each class, so for myself I was just going to make the ones I need. Maybe the HR soc would be interested?

Andy g

2 hours ago, Buhar said:

A good while ago on here someone was canvassing/contemplating transfers for Highland loco names, I don't think it was Mark Tatlow (who would have been a prime suspect) but I can't find it on a site search.

I have looked at getting names done and have even prepared some artwork (which is I think correct), which you can see here.  The issue I have is that this has been drawn in CAD and this does not compute into something that the printers can use, so it needs to be redrafted in Coreldraw or similar.  That is were it is stuck at present but it needs moving ahead.

Mark

• Like 1