Isle of Wight shunters, nos. 03079 and 03179 what happened to them?

18B

afternoon,

would anyone happen to know what happened to Isle of Wight shunters, nos. 03079 and 03179? specifically when did they leave the IOW? 

Wonder how engineer's trains etc are operated these days? probably road railers?

Edited by 18B

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ragtag said:

As rarely as possible if the stock is anything to go by!

Granted this one was at the depot:

20190731_165522.jpg.6e1eb0c088cf1a9ec36d1edb71fc83eb.jpg

But this was our service train:

20190731_225045.jpg.5dac2a688652385bb731167b7cec4f4b.jpg

Not received well by the non-enthusiasts I can tell you.

The track is no better...

so bouncy every time this guy tried to speak his teeth would be falling out, and they weren't false teeth!

• Funny 1

03179 was also well-known after leaving the Isle of Wight, becoming the Hornsey depot shunter before entering preservation.

https://www.railexpress.co.uk/237/final-main-line-03-enters-preservation/

According to the report of its move to Rushden, they left Ryde in 1998: https://m.facebook.com/Rushdenrailwaystation/posts/1130968863630164

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

They dont use any engineering trains. Green zone working too as far as I know.

Did the 03s ever operate on the Esplanade/Pier Head side of the tunnel? I know some other locos working in similar situations have had their cabs lowered but can’t remember if that was done in this case.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that they’ve borrowed a diesel loco from the steam railway when needed for engineering. Presumably transferred by road as there’s no physical connection at Smallbrook Junction. 

I might be totally wrong though!

Yes many years ago a Diesel (03) and Ballast  Hoppers  were borrowed for  several  nights ballast  workings.

Crewed by Island  Line  drivers who had refresher training beforehand.

These were moved by Road to/from Sandown.  Normally PWay work is  carried out with Road Rail machines as above.

Pete

7 minutes ago, IWCR said:

Yes many years ago a Diesel (03) and Ballast  Hoppers  were borrowed for  several  nights ballast  workings.

Crewed by Island  Line  drivers who had refresher training beforehand.

These were moved by Road to/from Sandown.  Normally PWay work is  carried out with Road Rail machines as above.

Pete

Presumably this had the standard height cab though, so couldn’t go through the tunnel. Makes sense to use the loco type they’re used to though.

There hasnt been an engineering train for many years now.
They use road railers sometimes of course, it is 2019 after all, not everything on the island is that old even if the minds are.

I believe they used a road railer a couple of years ago when there was a land slip on the bank up near Beeper shute, the access point being on Rowborough Road just after on the bridge.

There is a couple of two or three wagons just south of the depot at Ryde, West of Slade Road (opposite the field with the stable on it at the end of Quarry Road, you cant see them from the other side beause of the trees and wall). One is a ballast hopper but no idea what model of hopper it is, I dont really go in much for the trains. a couple were flat wagons I think, but they havent moved for many a long year now. Just old and rusty. 

Yes they used to operate the shunter through the tunnel, no idea if it ever went along the pier, I never saw it with my own eyes but doesnt mean it never happened, there is no Route Availablity restriction that means it couldnt happen.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

There is a couple of two or three wagons just south of the depot at Ryde, West of Slade Road (opposite the field with the stable on it at the end of Quarry Road, you cant see them from the other side beause of the trees and wall). One is a ballast hopper but no idea what model of hopper it is, I dont really go in much for the trains. a couple were flat wagons I think, but they havent moved for many a long year now. Just old and rusty. 

The wagons are a Dogfish and a couple of modified Lowfits.

The Dogfish has been there for a long time, I believe it had a seized wheelset and couldnt be easily moved then local Herberts opened the doors making it even less easily moved.  Left behind  when  the other Pway wagons were disposed of.  The two flats are match wagons for the Tube stock, again they havent moved for many years, probably not since the O3's went.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

The current tube trains on the Isle of Wight are ex-Northern Line.  The 1938 stock sometimes migrated between Northern, Bakerloo and Piccadilly Lines but all IoW cars are listed in 1968 as being on the Northern Line and this is quoted in other sources as their origin.

Former shunter D2554 / 05001 / 97803 has worked on Ryde Pier.  Neither of the 03s is known to have done so but they could and did work through Ryde Tunnel as far as Esplanade station and they may have ventured unrecorded along the pier.

* The IoWSR-owned D2059 (BR TOPS 03059) was hired between 16-18 March 2002 to work with a pair of their ex-London Transport ballast hoppers on the privatised Island Line and is the only time preserved stock has been used on the "main line" in this manner.  It was taken by road from Havenstreet to Sandown and back for this and not transferred via Smallbrook.  

Both the former IoW 03s remain; 03079 is at the Derwent Valley Light Railway and 03179 is at Rushden Transport Museum after a number of post-Island years as depot shunter at Hornsey in north London.  03079 had been the last of its class active on the mainland national network but that baton was passed to its Island stable-mate when sent to Hornsey.

A significant amount of detail, including the paragraph marked * above, on the Island diesel shunters can be found in the recently-published Ryde Rail (A History of Tube Trains on the Isle of Wight) by Richard C Long - who is active on this site - and published by Crecy.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The current tube trains on the Isle of Wight are ex-Northern Line.  The 1938 stock sometimes migrated between Northern, Bakerloo and Piccadilly Lines but all IoW cars are listed in 1968 as being on the Northern Line and this is quoted in other sources as their origin.

They may have been Northern line in 1968 but they will have survived for use on the IoW by dint of getting an EHO ('extra heavy overhaul') in the 1970s for use on the Bakerloo line. 1938 stock was replaced on the Northern and Piccadilly lines in by the mid 70s with 1972 Mk1 and 1973 stock respectively, The best units went for EHO and then worked the Bakerloo line alongside 1972 MkII stock until 1979 when the route was split to create the Jubilee (which got the 1972 MkII stock), leaving the Bakerloo as unique users of the '38 stock. These trains were finally withdrawn in 1985 only for six units to temporarily augment the Northern Line peak service with a final overhaul creating the 'Starlight Express' units.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2019 at 22:25, Gwiwer said:

A significant amount of detail, including the paragraph marked * above, on the Island diesel shunters can be found in the recently-published Ryde Rail (A History of Tube Trains on the Isle of Wight) by Richard C Long - who is active on this site - and published by Crecy.  

That book also confirms that the first 03 - with original cab - was squeezed from St Johns through Ryde Tunnel, but couldn't get back under Rink Road bridge on the Up Line.

As for the shunters on Ryde Pier, the photos below are the few I am aware of:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74165767@N05/43390122814

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74165767@N05/30240570038

97803 (05001) Ryde Pier 1983

97803 (05001) Ryde Pier 1983

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 5