Isle of Wight shunters, nos. 03079 and 03179 what happened to them?

18B

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2019 at 22:41, ElectroSoldier said:

I thought I recognized them from the Bakerloo.
How long have they been on the island, and how many liveries have they had?
I remember the DinoIsland scheme a good few years back, then they all had a repaint to the red they wear now

They arrived on the Island between July 1989 and July 1990.  Standard stock  cars were removed as return loads.  By 1989 only some 27 of the original 43 remained but this was still a greater number than that of the newer trains being delivered.  Eight 2-car units 001-008 replaced a mixed bag of Standard stock but which was usually formed into three 5-car trains.  Of note BR (NSE) had acquired several more 1938 stock cars than were originally expected to be required.  One further unit was created and shipped over as 009 in 1990.  Two more cars languished at Eastleigh and were stripped, had windows plated and were sent over in 1992 officially as spares lest anything should befall one of the other units.  They could not be used in traffic and were effectively spare body shells, frames and traction gear.  The pair was nominally identified as unit 010.

001-009 arrived in a version of NSE livery which suited them well.  010 was in all-blue.  Those which were still in traffic when Stagecoach took over then wore the dinosaur livery and those which survive today are in a version of late LT red.  The shade approximates to the "bus red" which tube trains wore from the mid-1970s after overhaul.  Previous to this they had worn a darker "tube red" shade in London.  002 was repainted from dinosaur into LT red without yellow ends but is believed to have never run as such and is now stored retaining its 'Raptor" name from dinosaur days.  All other vehicles in all liveries including 010 have had half-yellow cab ends.    

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread - since my book 'Ryde Rail' has been mentioned a couple of times I hope nobody will mind my saying it's only £14 on Amazon at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1910809578/

includes a whole chapter on the Island Line's various diesel shunters which hopefully answers some of the questions people may have regarding when they arrived; when they departed; what happened to them afterwards and when/why/if they had their cabs cut down.

On 07/09/2019 at 17:25, Christopher125 said:

That book also confirms that the first 03 - with original cab - was squeezed from St Johns through Ryde Tunnel, but couldn't get back under Rink Road bridge on the Up Line.

As for the shunters on Ryde Pier, the photos below are the few I am aware of:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74165767@N05/43390122814

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74165767@N05/30240570038

97803 (05001) Ryde Pier 1983

97803 (05001) Ryde Pier 1983

Class 05 - 001 the only one that made TOP's numbering.

• Like 1