Sad News Ian Allan Birmingham is to close

Chrisjh

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Judging from the vast swathes of boarded-up town centre shops, it seems that there are plenty of landlords happy to sit on assets realising no return. A huge amount of money is tired up in these, but they seem to be happy with the situation. 

Not too many of those in Birmingham compared to many other places. They're constantly creating more retail space and it gets let.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Judging from the vast swathes of boarded-up town centre shops, it seems that there are plenty of landlords happy to sit on assets realising no return. A huge amount of money is tired up in these, but they seem to be happy with the situation. 

Its an ideal location for another Costa Packet coffee shop.:no2:

• Funny 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Not too many of those in Birmingham compared to many other places. They're constantly creating more retail space and it gets let.

The row in front of Debenhams is pretty empty. I think the square behind it is due for redevelopment. Head towards what was the old Virgin Megastore and both the quality and numbers of shops falls off pretty rapidly. The "heart" of Birmingham city centre has moved around a lot recently. IA didn't need to be in one of the newly invigorated parts, but I suspect rent isn't the only reason behind its demise. 

• RMweb Premium

An update on this.

IA Birmingham is closing on 14th September.

The landlord wanted to increase the rent by 350%, then removed the offer to renew as they want to refurbish the building to attract someone like McDonald's to it.

The Waterloo shop is safe for now as IA own it.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

IA have been trying too find someone to buy the shop for well over a year and have had no takers.

As for commercial properties - their value is normally related to the rent. If the rent is reduced to get a tennant in an empty property then the overall value decreases - normally the property is mortgaged (the money having been used to buy another property) and the revaluation causes the lender to ask for a large chunk of money to be repaid : hence it can be better for the landlord's cashflow to leave the property empty.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely terrible news I feel for the staff who I've been friendly with over the years I suppose this means I'll have to have my breaks in Birmingham in the proper messroom now. 

I must pop in if I can tomorrow and have a farewell browse/purchase.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

I dropped into the shop today and had a chat with the staff.

Much of the stock will be transferred to the Waterloo branch which will remain open.

Many of the books have been sold in a deal with Book Law.

Any closing down sale will be very limited.

The bit of our chat that annoyed me though, was discovering there are people coming in and whinging at people losing their jobs, that they don't know where they will buy their magazines from. They estimate that wingers are around 70% of the punters vs 30% commiserating with them.  A few tales were shared about visitors settling themselves down in the corner with the intention of reading their way through a book or magazine. Apparently, this isn't uncommon.

Others who just hang around waiting for a train to prod and shop-soil the stock. Personally, I think this is disgraceful behaviour and it's being carried out by "adults" who should know better - and yes, it does make me angry. You see it in many branches of WH Smiths where the carpet by the train mags is worn out but elsewhere it's fine. What goes through the heads of people in our hobby to do this? </rant>

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm very sorry that the branch is closing but am pleased that it means the model stocks in London will be improved. Central London is such a desert for modelling supplies that having a decently stocked model shop will make a world of difference.

Very sad to hear of this, go there quite regularly, but to be honest never end up buying too much because the exact thing I want ins't stocked despite prices being very competitive with certain online retailers. Often found interesting books which I would have never of otherwise known about which I'd end up getting. 

I suppose the Bargain Hunters thread will stop being accused of being too Birmingham centric from now on!

18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I'm very sorry that the branch is closing but am pleased that it means the model stocks in London will be improved. Central London is such a desert for modelling supplies that having a decently stocked model shop will make a

world of difference.

Well I think Birmingham/The West Midlands is becoming more and more so a modelling supplies desert! Lost the Model Zone, the WH Smiths Model Zone, the Wonderful World of Trains & Planes Gift Shop, Bobs Models, Antics Coventry, Modellers Mecca and Southern Railways over the past few years. Good job A Oakes has other departments to keep them running!! 

I know Tennents Trains are still around - are there any others?

19 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The bit of our chat that annoyed me though, was discovering there are people coming in and whinging at people losing their jobs, that they don't know where they will buy their magazines from. They estimate that wingers are around 70% of the punters vs 30% commiserating with them. 

Staggering. How?! That reaction, on that scale, makes no sense....

• Agree 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

Well I think Birmingham/The West Midlands is becoming more and more so a modelling supplies desert! Lost the Model Zone, the WH Smiths Model Zone, the Wonderful World of Trains & Planes Gift Shop, Bobs Models, Antics Coventry, Modellers Mecca and Southern Railways over the past few years. Good job A Oakes has other departments to keep them running!! 

I was pointed at: http://www.parabellum.co.uk/

Apparently, they are in the Jewellery Quarter.Thur/Fri/Sat opening only. 

You could always take a trip to Classic Train & Motor bus in Leamington, but not all at once, it's not that big!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I was pointed at: http://www.parabellum.co.uk/

Apparently, they are in the Jewellery Quarter.Thur/Fri/Sat opening only. 

You could always take a trip to Classic Train & Motor bus in Leamington, but not all at once, it's not that big!

Parabellum is near to the Jewellery Quarter station/tram stop at 54 Vyse St. (turn left as you come out, it's opposite Branston Court.)

https://goo.gl/maps/VuYdFsH2FbBZZ1sC9

Supposed to be a bit of an Aladdin's cave but I haven't been inside there myself as it was closed when I tried to visit!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hobbyrail in Sutton Coldfield Market hall looks like it's stocking more stuff than when it first opened.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hobbyrail/@52.561969,-1.8229234,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipN7xFoUJuBu0GlV9iqNwTrgKFc21_ycootD2Oh-!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipN7xFoUJuBu0GlV9iqNwTrgKFc21_ycootD2Oh-%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870a5a80ab11e6d:0x369d1fc62a45882c!8m2!3d52.561859!4d-1.8230244#

(It's not the same Hobbyrail that used to be in Riland Road but uses the name with permission.)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Parabellum is near to the Jewellery Quarter station/tram stop at 54 Vyse St. (turn left as you come out, it's opposite Branston Court.)

https://goo.gl/maps/VuYdFsH2FbBZZ1sC9

Supposed to be a bit of an Aladdin's cave but I haven't been inside there myself as it was closed when I tried to visit!

Certainly is  boxes of plastic really piled to the ceiling and just enough room

to squeeze in. They do stock a range of plasticard and tools quite a bit aimed at tanks/AFV, shipping, areo and fantasy scifi stuff but none the worse for that.  Very good choice of non railway paints . Robert      

• Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 00:18, big jim said:

This is terrible news, it’s a real shame it’s closing down.

always a quick diversion for me when changing trains in brum, many a time I’ve caught an earlier train just to go and see what’s new on the discount table, but I suppose that’s part of the problem, other than stuff on there I’ve bought little else ‘full price’ from the shop

I’d better go and use the £10 on my loyalty card up next time im in there 

Would imagine thats most of the problem.  Your not going to sell stuff when everyone knows a few weeks down the line its going to end up on the bargain table.  Better to price sensibly and shift it than at full RRP, have it sit there, and then have to clear it!

Been in Waterloo branch a few times - and they don't have any clearance,  (Unfortunately!)

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dogbox321 said:

Would imagine thats most of the problem.  Your not going to sell stuff when everyone knows a few weeks down the line its going to end up on the bargain table.  Better to price sensibly and shift it than at full RRP, have it sit there, and then have to clear it!

Been in Waterloo branch a few times - and they don't have any clearance,  (Unfortunately!)

The last time I was in "Waterloo" was at the end of last year - when their clearance stuff was by the door (and the till).

In practice though, although I looked in the clearance areas of both branches, most of the stuff I bought came from the full price stock - mainly because I generally look for stuff that interests me enough to be worth the asking price.

I know I'm going to miss the Birmingham shop - partly because of what they've stocked (including at full price) - but also because I happened to like the people I was dealing with there.

Like a number of other members of this site, I hope things work out for all the people who've worked at Ian Allan's Birmingham shop over the years.

Huw.

• Like 3

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:12, Phil Parker said:

its the portfolios on paper value that they think will keep them afloat whilst their properties remain unoccupied. of course the insurance costs are higher too as they remain empty or cant offset to tenants under a full repairing lease arrangement.....just seems daft to me that rather than rent out and make 100% of something they would rather stick to their guns at whatever the high rent is that they have set in their heads and sit back and take 100% of nothing for months or even years.

I hope to get into Bham later today and if so will pay one last visit to IA. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Regards,

C.

Most of the model bargains were Bachmann clearance items which were also available elsewhere.

Their normal pricing was with a small discount off RRP on most railway models and you had a loyalty card which effectively gave you another 5%

Edited by melmerby

On 14/08/2019 at 22:07, Phil Parker said:

I dropped into the shop today and had a chat with the staff.

Much of the stock will be transferred to the Waterloo branch which will remain open.

Many of the books have been sold in a deal with Book Law.

Any closing down sale will be very limited.

The bit of our chat that annoyed me though, was discovering there are people coming in and whinging at people losing their jobs, that they don't know where they will buy their magazines from. They estimate that wingers are around 70% of the punters vs 30% commiserating with them.  A few tales were shared about visitors settling themselves down in the corner with the intention of reading their way through a book or magazine. Apparently, this isn't uncommon.

Others who just hang around waiting for a train to prod and shop-soil the stock. Personally, I think this is disgraceful behaviour and it's being carried out by "adults" who should know better - and yes, it does make me angry. You see it in many branches of WH Smiths where the carpet by the train mags is worn out but elsewhere it's fine. What goes through the heads of people in our hobby to do this? </rant>

With respect, the percentage of times I've been in Ian Allan and the ground floor has been solely occupied by a chap standing behind the computer is probably in the very high nineties, so this announcement hasn't come as a massive surprise, let alone the recent mess, both financially and physically, created by the council on the metro extension.

With respect, most businesses suffer problems such as this, but you have to adapt to survive. If the carpet is worn out beside the train magazines, then what does that tell you? Is it perhaps the reason why yourself, myself and many others are using an internet forum to view modellers reviews, hints, tips and advice as opposed to paying the best part of a fiver a month on magazines? If you thought about it, perhaps showing certain advertisements to this traffic and generating money from clicks to those sites could actually bring in a decent amount of revenue...

It's not disgraceful - it's just the way the world is going. People will always moan - it's what they're good at. You just have to find a way to use it to your advantage. Sadly, Ian Allan and others don't appear to have found an effective way to achieve that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2019 at 14:36, ThaneofFife said:

they have the Bachmann wickham trolley in for £40.  not bad that price.

not much else to speak of really but it was flying visit.

Some Woodland Scenics at around 50%.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Best part of a fiver on magazines?

Blimey I think I've spent about £40 to £50 this month in WHS on railway magazines as well as having two subscriptions. Not including a bookazine. That's about typical. Also not including a music magazine.

Jason

One word....

readly