Useful free OO or HO buildings from America

In my search for a variety of card buildings, I have come across a site with a range of town structures that look very usable on a OO British layout, despite the fact that the prototypes are in America. I have downloaded a couple, but so far have not attempted a build  They look straight forward and the pictures of the finished products are impressive.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnrhistoric/Preserve/pages/construct_mainstreet.aspx

I would like to hear comments from others.

Dane,

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Very nice

If I were building one, I'd probably cut out the windows and mount them on another layer of card behind the cutouts. Windows aren't often flush with the wall. There are other details where you could do the same

I'll bookmark that - thank you

Richard

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Very nice

If I were building one, I'd probably cut out the windows and mount them on another layer of card behind the cutouts. Windows aren't often flush with the wall. There are other details where you could do the same

I'll bookmark that - thank you

Richard

Agree with the above. I downloaded these and printed a set out for a possible US based model. They look good. The essential caveat though is they are not outline kits for/of UK buildings so the basic proportions etc., are not typically British so if considering them select and use with care.

Edited by john new

IMHO a printed card building is merely the base on which to create a more life-like structure. Additions as menti9oned of glazed windows, along with embellishments such as window sills, lintels, doorsteps, and perhaps even the odd open door will produce an even more satisfying model.

I am pleased that some of you are finding them of use. Some buildings on the site are most definitely specifically of USA prototypes, but some of the commercial town buildings could be placed almost anywhere in the world- perhaps needing a little 'local' embellishment to make them fit in.

Dane

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

May be either a site-wide block or some form of web-outage as from here (UK) can't even get the site's home page to load. That seems a bit odd given that it is the State's official website so you would think some pages would remain accessible.

Is the US in the middle of another State shut down crisis due to lack of funds?

Website problem may be related to this issue reported in July - https://chicago.suntimes.com/metro-state/2019/7/10/20689089/illinois-unemployment-claims-delayed-computer-failure

Edited by john new
Added extra observations
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

I do like some of those buildings, though the Great Western Depot seems to have little to do with IK Brunel...  :jester:

What scale are they? I'm assuming HO, though it wouldn't really matter, especially with the Old Main/Old State Capitol buildings, either of which would make a grandiose railway terminal building!