Millway Dock

Melangoose

Thanks Steve, of course I do not mind if you copy Millway Dock, in fact I would be flattered, perhaps you could visit if convenient for you at some time.

Class 33/0 33029 gets involved in some complicated shunting on the dock.EDC83040-C16A-48E4-9120-260BDEB554F8.jpeg.a9948c3f11d4bf6dc6e7ccc66f81fb66.jpeg

C297CA32-7414-435C-A32E-D1AC86AC4D6D.jpeg

Edited by Hampshire Hog
  • Like 6

Millway Dock has come along way in such a short time. The baseboards were picked up on the 5th June (Hampshire Hog and Tony inspecting MRS’s fine work). When you consider this was a day under 2 months from the pictures on the first post (Sunday 4th August) and it’s 99% finnished.

Maybe the “Hog” should enter a team for that channel 4 Model Railway program.

The second picture shows the buildings roughly placed before track laying commenced. It’s shame that the Grain Silo building didn’t stay (I think it looks good and makes a nice scenic break).

BF7DB28E-EC1F-4D86-9649-B7F85A3B3042.jpeg

6F5BD63F-807D-43FB-B278-6A5F7FFBFB18.jpeg

Edited by Melangoose
Typo
  • Like 4

Cheers for your nice comments guys, I just wish I could fathom posting pictures on here, I will have another go with this one, Rob mentioned Hamworthy. (although I am not sure that it was a National Coal Board Janus that was hired).B0F0335E-D73C-4BDA-A074-1921D42EB953.jpeg.a4c07dc931dfbe86d7e2ca0ff879e72f.jpeg

Edited by Hampshire Hog
to add text
  • Like 2

Thank you for your comment OOman it is appreciated.

In truth as can be seen above somebody else built the baseboards, the buildings, structures and ships already existed, all I had to do was set up the layout and then transfer everything from Leaford and place it on Millway Dock (mind you that leaves a big hole on Leaford). I don’t think I am ready for any TV appearances yet - I dunno though perhaps Love Island!!!

5D45880C-0749-4111-B479-0509DBED31E2.jpeg.7e4a49e59b817c2a3f03f826a7af90e8.jpeg

I am not sure this bloke chose the right career.

Cheers Kevin

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 09/08/2019 at 19:55, Hampshire Hog said:

Cheers for your nice comments guys, I just wish I could fathom posting pictures on here, I will have another go with this one, Rob mentioned Hamworthy. (although I am not sure that it was a National Coal Board Janus that was hired).B0F0335E-D73C-4BDA-A074-1921D42EB953.jpeg.a4c07dc931dfbe86d7e2ca0ff879e72f.jpeg

The Janus at Poole docks was loaned from Allied steel & Co, Cardiff between May and November 1992. (Rails to Poole Harbour - Colin Stone) 

• Thanks 1

Hello sb67 how I do the inlaid track?  l use Peco code 100 (because of the depth of the rail) inlaid with card (Metcalf Tarmac) which appears to be the right thickness cut to fit between the rails, cut the  Metcalf card into 17mm strips for straight track, and just paint the top of the rail  - carefully overlay the card face-up on to the area you wish to cover  - and then cut to the inside of the painted line for curves and everywhere else, once done to your satisfaction paint with your favourite shade of concrete coloured paint which when dry secures everthing into place. If done properly most modern rolling stock runs perfectly (as long as you keep the wheels of your stock and the track clean) but don’t use your old Triang, early Hornby or Lima - or anything else with pizza cutter flanges on your wheels. My best regards Kevin.

ps, Dont do as I did and forget that on larger areas between tracks you will need packing to support the card, I use 3mm or 4mm ply cut to shape as required, it doesnt have to be exact. Cheers Kevin

Edited by Hampshire Hog
  • Thanks 1

On 12 August 2019 at 07:05, Hampshire Hog said:

Hello sb67 how I do the inlaid track?  l use Peco code 100 (because of the depth of the rail) inlaid with card (Metcalf Tarmac) which appears to be the right thickness cut to fit between the rails, cut the  Metcalf card into 17mm strips for straight track, and just paint the top of the rail  - carefully overlay the card face-up on to the area you wish to cover  - and then cut to the inside of the painted line for curves and everywhere else, once done to your satisfaction paint with your favourite shade of concrete coloured paint which when dry secures everthing into place. If done properly most modern rolling stock runs perfectly (as long as you keep the wheels of your stock and the track clean) but don’t use your old Triang, early Hornby or Lima - or anything else with pizza cutter flanges on your wheels. My best regards Kevin.

ps, Dont do as I did and forget that on larger areas between tracks you will need packing to support the card, I use 3mm or 4mm ply cut to shape as required, it doesnt have to be exact. Cheers Kevin

Thanks Kevin, you've got the look pretty good.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...