Dapol none corridor set

farren

• RMweb Gold

After going to do this for many years I started building a composite D1686, to drop into a four coach set. But I'm sure I've seen a set which were all flat sided so have i bought the D number? And if would the D1686 ever have been used with the Dapol non-corridors or do i need to build another set to use it. 20190804_211300.jpg.e039dd11e225abb17d074b4ac4e6cc5b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Up to the time that the DMUs were introduced and most non corridor stock was displaced the local trains through New Street were real Pick'n'Mix sets. There's a picture of one with a Period 1 Lav Brake, Period 1 Composite and Period 2 Brake.  Another of a football special at Stechford had a mix of all three periods of LMS non-corridor stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your replies i will carry on as I was going to. But I had a look at the comet coaches on wizard website last night, and have to say I think a 4th non-corridor set may have  to be had. Using some off the kits. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit confused which side do the Coache numbers go ? Hornby's non-corridors (BR) have them on the right. I have a photo off the D 1735s and D 1921A in LMS livery with them on the right. 

But Dapol in BR Lively I admit have them on the left. Which I copied on two coaches I've done so far. Not redoing them now. But I have 2 more to do one being a diag 1680. 

BR era was right hand end as was the LMS and LNER. There was a few BR carriages that got them applied to the left hand though. Almost certainly as an experiment, details in the BR Coaches book by Parkin where it discusses liveries and has photographs with them applied to the "wrong" end.

The SR and GWR had the numbers at both ends I think.

Jason

On 04/08/2019 at 22:22, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Farren

Period 1 (paneled)  and period 2 (steel sided)  lavatory coaches would work in mixed sets. They could also be marshaled with similar pre-grouping coaches.

Indeed.  LMS carriage workings were based on number of seats, so a composite was a composite provided it had the right number of 1st  and 3rd class seats. A lot of period 1 coaches had direct period 2 and 3 equivalents. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2019 at 14:19, Wheatley said:

Indeed.  LMS carriage workings were based on number of seats, so a composite was a composite provided it had the right number of 1st  and 3rd class seats. A lot of period 1 coaches had direct period 2 and 3 equivalents. 

Many LMS coach internal layouts remained invariant throughout the LMS period and were in fact continuations of what the LNWR had been doing - the LNWR being the dominant constituent of the LMS as far as passenger business was concerned. The traffic people no doubt didn't like the hassle that change would cause and so were quite happy for the carriage & wagon people to churn out "Derby" carriages, so long as the seating plan was still "Wolverton"! A consequence was that late LNWR carriages - 57ft elliptical-roofed ones - remained very much part of the mix along with LMS carriages of any period, at least on local (non-corridor) and secondary (lavatory in earlier days but corridor by nationalisation) services, at least until the LNWR carriages became life-expired - generally, mid 50s. The summary table in Jenkinson's LNWR Carriages gives the withdrawal date ranges for diagrams that survived beyond nationalisation.

Edited by Compound2632