55H 9f

AdamD98

Hi folks I hope you are all well.

I have recently taken the decision to sell up my modern image 00 collection and turn my attention to 0 gauge/7mm. Now it will still be modern image but I do find myself very intrigued by the above named model.

I wonder if any of you great folk could offer any advice on them at all please and thank you.

Have a great Monday all! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam,

They we’re produced by Finescale Brass and in my opinion are superb. Yes you could build a kit cheaper, but the models to me, are wonderful, albeit at over £2,000 they should be! But I believe in this case you do get what you pay for. Be aware that these will need wider radius curves than a Heljan diesel for example.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your reply. My up and coming project shouldn't pose any issues as far as radius is concerned so that's not to worry. 

They do look and sound fantastic as far as I have seen. Although I haven't seen one up close, only via YouTube videos and such like. 

9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Adam,

They we’re produced by Finescale Brass and in my opinion are superb. Yes you could build a kit cheaper, but the models to me, are wonderful, albeit at over £2,000 they should be! But I believe in this case you do get what you pay for. Be aware that these will need wider radius curves than a Heljan diesel for example.

Rich

The Finescalebrass range was produced in China by San Cheng.  The 55H/Loveless range are produced in South Korea and, whilst the Finescalebrass range were very good, the 55H range is to an even higher standard IMO. With the pound in free-fall they'll never be repeated at this price.

Ray.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

The Finescalebrass range was produced in China by San Cheng.  The 55H/Loveless range are produced in South Korea and, whilst the Finescalebrass range were very good, the 55H range is to an even higher standard IMO. With the pound in free-fall they'll never be repeated at this price.

Ray.

Sorry I’d forgotten the change to South Korea! Never reply the early hours of the morning!!!

Adam,

Have seen a DCC sound example at the GOG exhibition and Doncaster and one of the most realistic i’ve ever heard.

Rich

Thanks Ray and Rich, much appreciated.

I am assuming Ray that you mean there is likely or expected to be a price hike at some point? In your opinions then, they are quite reasonably priced?

• RMweb Premium

Masterpiece, who are another of the highly detailed brass loco manufacturers, charged around £2,300 for a Castle class in 2007. They just did another one recently for £3,400 (and said they had absorbed some of the extra cost) which gives some idea of the way prices are going.

22 hours ago, AdamD98 said:

I am assuming Ray that you mean there is likely or expected to be a price hike at some point? In your opinions then, they are quite reasonably priced?

I had a look at both the 55H and Loveless websites before I posted my reply and read that a price increase was inevitable due to the fall in value of the pound against the won.  The more recent productions, the Brit and Duke, are 2,750 and 2,800 respectively.

Whether the price is "reasonable" is a subjective question. Will they ever be cheaper? - I very much doubt it unless you can get a good secondhand one.  I've been very tempted but can't really justify one but if it's something you really want...........  As a mate off mine said "There's no pockets in shrouds!"

Ray.

Thanks Hal and Ray, much appreciated and all taken on board.

I'd actually be going the whole hog if I get one of these things with my DCC preference I might as well take the sound and smoke unit to go with it. 

Just wait until swmbo finds out what I won in a raffle! 

• RMweb Premium

I haven’t seen both so can’t compare directly but the Lee Marsh locos generally are incredibly researched and detailed, down to individual class member variations.

If money was no object I’d get their Castle over any others I’ve seen.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, AdamD98 said:

Thanks Hal and John.

Out of curiosity what makes the Lee Marsh model a better buy? Excuse my ignorance here as I am very new to 7mm modelling. 

Hi Adam

It is just personal choice, and i have been around the 7mm world for a while.

I just think the Lee Marsh stuff looks great and, I have never heard a single complaint about how it runs.

Best

John

• Agree 1

Hi Adam,

I have a couple of 55H models and have to say they are superb, John Riley who owns 55H is very approachable and will give you good advice on the models. He does a range of 9F's depending on which region of BR you are modelling and can arrange if you so wish to have sound fitted. This is undertaken by Modelyard in Leeds which is where I had mine done, they fit the ESU Loksound L decoder in the loco.

I also have one of the latest 7P Britannia's that John is selling which like the 9F is stunning, I fitted sound in this one myself which was pretty straightforward.  Attached is photo of my 9F (36A Doncaster)

Cheers

Ian

1375140167_92201FalconRoad.jpg.d35486e9c910136c48f53a8eccbb537f.jpg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Ian, the 9F is superb, (I have admired these at several shows) but the layout also looks fantastic.

Do you have a thread about it as I would love to see more?

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian, this link should work but if not, Ian's layout is on page two of this section, called Falcon Road...

Thanks Ian for the input, I had the pleasure of watching your stock at the Redcar show along with a very excitable two year old and his Granddad. Superb layout and very friendly members all to happy to keep the little man happy. 

I shall be calling 55H once I am home Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2019 at 22:56, John K said:

Hi Adam

It is just personal choice, and i have been around the 7mm world for a while.

I just think the Lee Marsh stuff looks great and, I have never heard a single complaint about how it runs.

Best

John

There is a weathered Lee Marsh 9F up on Martyn Welch’s website now (martynwelch.com in gallery 2).

Worth a drool.

Edited by Hal Nail