EE Type 4 D352

MarkC

I'm looking for some photos of D352 whilst still in green - I have an unstarted MTK kit to build, and D352 is my chosen prototype. I do know that she had a centre mounted headcode box, and never had nose doors as far as I'm aware. I would appreciate help. Thanks in advance.

Mark

D352 was delivered to York 07/61 with no yellow panels by 65 it aquired SYP and later on acquired full yellow ends. There are several photos of it out there on the web. Just google class 40 D352 images.

28 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

D352 received a yellow panel some time before April 1964, and full yellow ends before June 1967.

Oh, that is great info, stovepipe. Thank you so much.

My model will represent the only known main line diesel run between Whitby and Scarborough in May 1964, (1Z26) so small yellow panel it is.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I have to admire your tenacity and patience in building a MTK kit and I know the Class 40 kit well as I built (and I use the term loosely) one in the late 70’s.  I had nearly finished it after nearly two years of blood, sweat, copious amounts of profanity and tears, only for Jouef to bring out their OO Scale version.

I wish you well, your going to need it lol.

Edited by jools1959
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2019 at 01:20, jools1959 said:

I have to admire your tenacity and patience in building a MTK kit and I know the Class 40 kit well as I built (and I use the term loosely) one in the late 70’s.  I had nearly finished it after nearly two years of blood, sweat, copious amounts of profanity and tears, only for Jouef to bring out their OO Scale version.

I wish you well, your going to need it lol.

Thank you, jools. In my defence, I did complete a Q Kits Class 28 many years ago, so looking at the MTK beastie, it <should> be a 'walk in the park' by comparison. Oh, and it's been in the roundtuit pile for long enough!

Mind you, a friend of mine picked up a beautiful Class 40 on eBay for £11.50, including postage, a couple of weeks ago. It had been listed wrongly...

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
On 05/08/2019 at 07:50, MarkC said:

I'm looking for some photos of D352 whilst still in green - I have an unstarted MTK kit to build, and D352 is my chosen prototype. I do know that she had a centre mounted headcode box, and never had nose doors as far as I'm aware. I would appreciate help. Thanks in advance.

Mark

D200-D324 were built with doors and discs. D260-266 (I think?) were later modified to no doors /4 character boxes - they were quite recognisable from a distance as the lower edge of the front had the "dip" that followed the original door profile

D325-D344 were split headcode boxes and doors

D345-D399 were 4 character boxes

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, newbryford said:

D200-D324 were built with doors and discs. D260-266 (I think?) were later modified to no doors /4 character boxes - they were quite recognisable from a distance as the lower edge of the front had the "dip" that followed the original door profile

D325-D344 were split headcode boxes and doors

D345-D399 were 4 character boxes

The corners of D260 to D266's headcode boxes were squarer than those on the D345 to D399 series which had more rounded corners.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Leander said:

The corners of D260 to D266's headcode boxes were squarer than those on the D345 to D399 series which had more rounded corners.

There was one odd one with rounded corners - D265/40065 if my memory is correct.

Yep -a quick flickr search.

40062+40065 Crewe Works 3-6-79

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, newbryford said:

There was one odd one with rounded corners - D265/40065 if my memory is correct.

Yep -a quick flickr search.

40062+40065 Crewe Works 3-6-79

You can also tell these locos because of the different profile of the nose front above the draw hook compared to those fitted with centre headcodes from new. It is where the gangway doors used to be.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, slilley said:

You can also tell these locos because of the different profile of the nose front above the draw hook compared to those fitted with centre headcodes from new. It is where the gangway doors used to be.

Per Micks post above.

Mike.

• Thanks 1