Queen of Scots rake

Good morning all from deepest Surrey,

I recently found a thread by Penguin of Doom on fitting Comet sides to Hornby Railroad Pullmans. I have wondered about this for a while, and Penguin’s thread encouraged me to try.

I picked up a number of Railroad Pullman from a certain auction site, and a set of eight sides from Wizard models.

Then it was the cutting disc in the Dremel and away we go. The only hic-cup was fitting the first pair of sides the wrong way around. I had to prise them off and soak the sides in nail varnish remover to remove the Evostick.

I have finished the first stage of the "Queen of "Scots" rake:

Top is a Brake 3rd Parlour, then 3rd Kitchen, 3rd Parlour, 1st Kitchen, and 1st Parlour. There are three more 3rd class cars, the same as the top three. The eagle eyed will notice that the 3rd Kitchen space is larger than the 1st kitchen space. This was not because 3rd class passenger had bigger appetites, but a 3rd class Kitchen catered for 102 passengers, and a 1st class Kitchen only catered for 44 passengers.

I wish to construct my own interiors from Southern Pride products, and Penguin’s use of Keen Systems upgrades is impressive, so both these have been ordered.

While waiting for these to arrive, I decided to build a loco to haul the rake. I found that the “Hush-Hush” loco worked the “Queen of Scots” in 1930, so have started the SEF kit, which has sat in my roundtuit cupboard for a while

Malcolm

Pullma_crop2.jpg.9aa2c8aad147509ff3f760f18ae6faaf.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2019 at 08:41, Thane of Fife said:

Good morning all from deepest Surrey,

I recently found a thread by Penguin of Doom on fitting Comet sides to Hornby Railroad Pullmans. I have wondered about this for a while, and Penguin’s thread encouraged me to try.

I picked up a number of Railroad Pullman from a certain auction site, and a set of eight sides from Wizard models.

Then it was the cutting disc in the Dremel and away we go. The only hic-cup was fitting the first pair of sides the wrong way around. I had to prise them off and soak the sides in nail varnish remover to remove the Evostick.

I have finished the first stage of the "Queen of "Scots" rake:

Top is a Brake 3rd Parlour, then 3rd Kitchen, 3rd Parlour, 1st Kitchen, and 1st Parlour. There are three more 3rd class cars, the same as the top three. The eagle eyed will notice that the 3rd Kitchen space is larger than the 1st kitchen space. This was not because 3rd class passenger had bigger appetites, but a 3rd class Kitchen catered for 102 passengers, and a 1st class Kitchen only catered for 44 passengers.

I wish to construct my own interiors from Southern Pride products, and Penguin’s use of Keen Systems upgrades is impressive, so both these have been ordered.

While waiting for these to arrive, I decided to build a loco to haul the rake. I found that the “Hush-Hush” loco worked the “Queen of Scots” in 1930, so have started the SEF kit, which has sat in my roundtuit cupboard for a while

Malcolm

Pullma_crop2.jpg.9aa2c8aad147509ff3f760f18ae6faaf.jpg

I've two sets of brake third sides if you need them.