Darstaed 7mm Finescale Thompson Mainline Coaches

Ellis Clark Trains

Good morning everyone.

As I'm sure you will have seen, included with the latest Guild 0 Gazette is our latest 8 page booklet!

Within this is our latest announcement, which is...

LNER/BR Thompson Mainline Coaches!

The main details however, are as follows:

RRP: £199 each, with the teak coach price TBC

Release date: Q1/2 2020

Specifications:

1. Finely detailed brass sides - professionally painted and lined
  2. Brass luggage racks
  3. Fully detailed die-cast under-frame
  4. Super detailed interiors with installed lighting
  5. Compensated die-cast bogies
  6. Super detailed door hinges
  7. Magnetic coupling corridor connectors
  8. Capable of running on Peco 2nd radius curves
  9. Brake ends and full brakes with detachable plug in rear light
  10. Sprung buffers
  11. Sheet of waterslide transfers
  12. Kadee couplings fitted as standard - link couplings available separately

Coach Variants: (all produced in simulated teak, crimson/cream and maroon)

1. TK (Third Class)
  2. BCK (Brake Composite Corridor)
  3. BG (Full Brake) - also produced in Crimson and Blue liveries
  4. BTK (Brake Third Corridor)
  5. FK (First Class)
  6. RB (Restaurant Buffet)
  7. RF (Restaurant First with Kitchen)
  8. RTO (Restaurant Third Open)

I've attached a few CADs below, with more information and pics on the website. Or click HERE.

What do we all think to this latest announcement?

All the best,
Ellis.

1752329239_TKBCkadeecoupling(1).jpg.566e6161d7662a9ecce535de8025200f.jpg

1334006331_BG1(5).JPG.3bd498f7bd6d05fa17f521b3e616a59d.JPG

125222895_RB1.JPG.c6c32467dd747c69c5d34b61e648b26f.JPG

1256319291_BCK(1).JPG.34a82777b6d3033f94e4804e359d4a49.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Buffet Lounge Cars were to LNER Diagram 352. Only two were built, numbers 1705 and 1706, and both were initially allocated to Flying Scotsman sets, transferred to the Talisman sets in 1953 and later in 1957 to general service stock, following which they were rebuilt during 1959  to the standard internal Buffet Car arrangement. As Flying Scotsman stock they may have had the additional fairing covering the solebars.

The CAD realisation above shows the original internal layout and arrangement of external windows; the rebuild resulted in substantial changes to the external appearance.

2 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

The Buffet Lounge Cars were to LNER Diagram 352. Only two were built, numbers 1705 and 1706, and both were initially allocated to Flying Scotsman sets, transferred to the Talisman sets in 1953 and later in 1957 to general service stock, following which they were rebuilt during 1959  to the standard internal Buffet Car arrangement. As Flying Scotsman stock they may have had the additional fairing covering the solebars.

The CAD realisation above shows the original internal layout and arrangement of external windows; the rebuild resulted in substantial changes to the external appearance.

Excellent, thank you. I was hoping they were that pair. So in theory with a bit of surgery they could be adapted and given a coat of blue and grey...   unless Ellis Clark Trains want to take up the gauntlet and offer them?! :-)

13 hours ago, Beclawat said:

Excellent, thank you. I was hoping they were that pair. So in theory with a bit of surgery they could be adapted and given a coat of blue and grey...   unless Ellis Clark Trains want to take up the gauntlet and offer them?! :-)

That surgery would need to be more than just a bit - the window re-arrangements, especially on the buffet bar/kitchen side, were substantial and clearly visible in photographs. If you have a copy of Michael Harris' LNER Carriages, Atlantic, there is a photograph of that side on p107 of E1705E in the Cambridge Buffet Express. Then the interior would need substantial repositioning and a quantity of replacement chairs and tables and who knows by how much the roof vents and other fittings were repositioned.

BTW if anyone has a copy of Hugh Longworth's BR Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 - GWR & LNER, the diagram he includes is as rebuilt in 1959, not original as the Darstaed model.

Having said all that, apparently this pair of pre-Nationalisation carriages were the last in service on BR, surviving until 1978.

And, finally, for some reason the RB is omitted from the advertising included in the recent Gauge O Guild Gazette mailing... in fact the telegraphic codes listed by Ellis are slightly confused:

The Kitchen Car should be RK; the RF is the 1st class car adjoining the RK with the RTO providing the 3rd class dining accommodation on the other side. These three cars together provided the equivalent of the Gresley Triplet Dining Set.

33 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

That surgery would need to be more than just a bit - the window re-arrangements, especially on the buffet bar/kitchen side, were substantial and clearly visible in photographs. If you have a copy of Michael Harris' LNER Carriages, Atlantic, there is a photograph of that side on p107 of E1705E in the Cambridge Buffet Express. Then the interior would need substantial repositioning and a quantity of replacement chairs and tables and who knows by how much the roof vents and other fittings were repositioned.

BTW if anyone has a copy of Hugh Longworth's BR Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 - GWR & LNER, the diagram he includes is as rebuilt in 1959, not original as the Darstaed model.

Having said all that, apparently this pair of pre-Nationalisation carriages were the last in service on BR, surviving until 1978.

And, finally, for some reason the RB is omitted from the advertising included in the recent Gauge O Guild Gazette mailing... in fact the telegraphic codes listed by Ellis are slightly confused:

The Kitchen Car should be RK; the RF is the 1st class car adjoining the RK with the RTO providing the 3rd class dining accommodation on the other side. These three cars together provided the equivalent of the Gresley Triplet Dining Set.

Interesting, thanks. I have to admit my earlier response was slightly tongue in cheek, I'm not likely to start adapting a £200 brass coach, although the possibility is intriguing.

Here is E1705E in blue and grey.

https://flic.kr/p/PJaHfF

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Beclawat said:

Given the construction method of Darstaed, etched brass sides, it woulld not be difficult for them to do. And I think there could be quite a few takers for a b/g vehicle that stands out from the norm.

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all,

Plenty of updates to this growing project with one big and exciting one...

We're happy to announce that within this range of coaches we will producing a very limited number of 'The Elizabethan' express coach sets. To save me repeating myself, full details can be found in the handout and on the website under the Darstaed section.

I'll also bullet point some of the other updates below:

Teak Prices - As you know, the price of the teak coaches was always listed as TBC. Unfortunately we cannot do these for £199, as we have had to invest heavily in new tooling and extensive labour to create a finish that we are happy with. Due to the very high quality paint finish of our coaches, we did not want to do anything "sub-par" on the teaks, especially as done right, they can look pretty superb. The price for these coaches, I can now announce, will be £229 each. We're still awaiting final CADs and will of course keep you all up to date with samples of the planned finish.

Round & Square Windows - We delved deep into this... We are now producing certain coaches with square cornered windows only, others with round windows only, and in the case of the TKs, BTKs and BCKs in Crimson & Cream and Maroon Lined liveries, they will be produced in both. We feel this should enable you to make a nice mix (if you'd like to of course) of round cornered and square cornered windows.

RB Change - We have slightly changed a few things. The RB will now be produced with the fairings over solebars, as we can't seem to find existence of it without this implemented.

Bogies - Three different types of bogies will be produced. The common 8' 6" light bogies, which were fitted to most vehicles, the 8' 0" bogies fitted only to the full brakes, and the 8' 6" heavy bogies used on the restaurant kitchens and Elizabethan stock.

Coach/Destination Name Boards - A nice addition to the large features list - on each coach will be 4 tiny brackets in which you can slot different destination or coach boards. This negates the need for glueing boards in place and means you can easily and quickly swap them around should you wish your train to have a new destination! We are working on a list of different boards which we will produce in house.

RTO now a TO - As a-pose to the original announcement with the RTO, we are now producing a Third Open TO/RTO to diagram 350. These were also used as restaurant cars, alongside having them lettered 'Restaurant Car' when in the 'Elizabethan Express' train.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call, or reply to this thread 

What do you all think to the above?

All the best,
Ellis.

The_Elizabethan_Rake_CAD.jpg.ed856217e2249510ec338e0ca80bfa6a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning all,

We've got two bits of exciting news...

We've been waiting a while for these drawings, and they're now here, as our lead designer has finished the CADs for the simulated teak coaches.

Our designer has spent 8 weeks working on a slightly different finish for each coach, alongside creating each panel from scratch. What do we all think?

All the best,

Ellis.

1723539715_BCKTeak.jpg.ec6e4014fe2780f8f9b5c80f19aca264.jpg

1173330163_BGTeak.jpg.5c2de6559abe6cbe4891b9d69b1332da.jpg1840582761_BTKTeak.jpg.c30a2755cd98ec1560ef5790be1190c1.jpg698607902_FKTeak.jpg.85474a2bf104b0e73e4559bb9220ce3b.jpg777400174_RFTeak.jpg.79c8875cb4dc02d853ebad36923a5d72.jpg495547071_RTOTeak.jpg.50d4f318de1ba0e27220e973682423c2.jpg718073681_TKTeak.jpg.f17ae172a0123183496d481b702f8e54.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, micklner said:

LNER and Numbers way oversize.

As you say the number and letters are too big. They should be 4 inches high over the gold with the gold placed equidistant vertically within the pseudo upper panel. The "1" in the windows should be 10" high and white, not gold.

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, micklner said:

LNER and Numbers way oversize. As to the Teak sorry  looks like its been sandpaperd .

1 a thommo.jpg

How can you disparage the final finish when it's a CAD realisation??? In the above photograph it could as easily be Fablon (remember that?).

42 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

How can you disparage the final finish when it's a CAD realisation??? In the above photograph it could as easily be Fablon (remember that?).

Very easy as thats what it looks like to me, nothing like "Teak" .

The person posting asked for views, and that what he has got !! It actually looks better than the latest Bachmann Thompson effort however !!

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Hope you're all well.

A few updates on this ever-expanding coach project.

1. We are now offering, for each coach produced, the option of un-numbered or a factory applied running number, with a few options on the third class (TK) coaches. I've attached a full production table/list to this message, or you can go to the Thompson project page on our website (click HERE) to view it. I think the table shows the depths in which we've gone into, thanks to the help of some very knowledgable chaps .

2. We have removed the full brake in crimson & cream and replaced it with the Elizabethan style coach sides, as with standard coach sides it was painted in full crimson livery.

The table may look a little daunting, so let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Ellis.

1110036747_ThompsonProductionList.jpg.89c13912c4233ba4129805d1eb86d2ac.jpg

• 6 months later...

Evening all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

Firstly, sorry for not updating everyone sooner regarding the Thompson project.

The past few months have been a tad challenging, but have also given us time to revisit many areas of this project, among others.

Essentially a few things have come from this. Firstly, and unfortunately, we are having to increase the RRP for these coaches.

Secondly, the good news, we have taken more time to improve the design, features and finesse of these models, with the latest CAD images attached at the bottom of this message.

The Price Increase
We have always worked closely with Darstaed to maintain what we think, considering the level of detailing and components, a very fair retail price.

Unfortunately, due to the increased levels of details and parts, alongside other factors outside our control, we are having to increase the RRP.

We have, however, tried to keep this as low as possible, alongside offering the following multi-buy deals!

A few bits of good news:

We will honour all pre-orders to this date. Therefore, if you have pre-ordered any coaches at £199, we will stand by this (when we take payment upon delivery of the coaches)

There is no increase on the RRP for the Elizabethan coaches or simulated teak coaches, which remain at £229 (individually)

We have a few 'multi-buy' options for purchases of 3 or more

The new price moving forward, for all liveries/coach types, is £229 with the following multi-buy discounts:
3-4 Coaches = £227 each

Release Date
We are now expecting these coaches in the following schedule

Q4 2020 - Elizabethan Coaches
Q1/2 2021 - Crimson & cream, Blue/Crimson BGs & some lined maroon coaches
Q2/3 2021 - Lined maroon & simulated teak coaches

5-7 Coaches = £225 each

8-10 Coaches = £222 each

11+ Coaches = £220 each

Improved Design
Over the past three months we have been working very closely with Darstaed on the design of these coaches, adding fine details and improving the overall look of the model.

We have added details such as etched brass steps to the bogie sideframes, improved interiors, finer detailing to the die-cast bogies, further enhancements to the chassis detailing (such as dynamos, battery boxes, tank reservoirs), and tweaks/improvements to many other parts.

We always aim to offer the best possible product with super fine detailing, whilst keeping the construction and quality to a very high and long lasting level.

A reminder of the specs
Finely detailed brass sides - professionally painted
Brass luggage racks
Fully detailed die-cast under-frame
Super detailed interiors with lights
Compensated die-cast bogies
Super detailed door hinges
Magnetic coupling corridor connectors
Kadee couplings as standard - link couplings available separately
Capable of running on 2nd Radius Curves
Sprung metal buffer
Brake ends and full brakes with detachable working (plug in) rear light
Sheet of prototypical running numbers for you to apply as you see fit
Removable slot-in coach name boards

And Finally...
I understand a price increase is never good news, it's also something we really wanted to avoid.

It's always a balancing act getting the best possible level of detail, whilst keeping the price point realistic and affordable.

We're always striving to deliver the award winning models and I believe that these coaches have raised the bar again - if you like the Darstaed mainline and suburban Mk1s, you'll love the Thompsons.

As always, I'd love to receive all feedback, both positive and constructive.

Once again, thank you to all for your continued support.

All the best,
Ellis.

BCK.png.afc7a9a9b82cc158b5363f5878797688.png

RF.png.13e4d03e74bab3e9b2f902a5388f056c.png

TK.png.e94278d5fe29b343e6bb2ff68f0fa0ba.png

• Like 4

having spent 39 years building 12" - 1ft passenger vehicles for the Big Railway, price increases and a delay only add to the realism!!

They look fabulous to me!!

Unfortunately, as a BR 1970 modeller, I'll have to limit it to the BG .

Great job!

Edited by Clarky1000
typo
  • Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 17:32, davidw said:

I'm amazed at such a comprehensive set BG,RF TO and pressure ventilation for the "lizzie". Would you ever shrink them to 4mm scale?

Hi David,

Thank you!

We'd love to one day (Neil who works for us keeps bugging me to do EM scale stuff! :D).

All the best,

Ellis.

On 20/06/2020 at 19:24, Clarky1000 said:

having spent 39 years building 12" - 1ft passenger vehicles for the Big Railway, price increases and a delay only add to the realism!!

They look fabulous to me!!

Unfortunately, as a BR 1970 modeller, I'll have to limit it to the BG .

Great job!

Hi Clarky,

Great nickname btw!

Thank you very much - that means allot coming from some one whose worked on the real things!

We've been working hard on this project and spent a lot of time at the NYM railway trying to catch the realism/feel!

I myself am looking forward to showing samples of the 'simulated' teak finish!

All the best,

Ellis.

10 hours ago, Ellis Clark Trains said:

Hi David,

Thank you!

We'd love to one day (Neil who works for us keeps bugging me to do EM scale stuff! :D).

All the best,

Ellis.

Thanks for the reply