A 7mm photo plank/ diorama.

We,  swmbo, and I had a new fire surround delivered a while ago. On the bottom, to keep the sides straight was a piece of 12mm MDF, 48" x 15". I took one look at it and thought, "this is too good to waste", so the little grey cells started working and I decided to make a plank to photograph my models after building and painting them.

I also didn't fancy a flat earth board so I glued some polystyrene foam on the top so I could carve it for landscaping.

Next thing I decided I fancied a river with rail bridge over. While at a show I spotted some reject Skytrex resin castings and in the box were a pair of steel girder bridge sides, as far as I could see, the only thing wrong with them were the sides were slightly bent, an easy fix with warm water and a straight edge.

I built a couple of brick supports for them, wrapped them in cling film (Saran wrap) to stop anything sticking to them as I poured the varnish river and the mucky plaster/filler river banks.

Pete. Oh, I also laid the track on some 6mm ply glued to the foam.

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

• Like 10

Pete,

Great to see you starting this thread. I will be using your photos showing the build as advice and reference for my own pointless project. 

What is the origin of the little diesel loco? 

Cheers and looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Pete,

Great to see you starting this thread. I will be using your photos showing the build as advice and reference for my own pointless project. 

What is the origin of the little diesel loco? 

Cheers and looking forward to seeing more.

It is an O scale Lima rtr shunter. Suitably Anglicied and weathered. I have also replaced the motor and added a LaisDcc chip, so it now runs a treat.

• Thanks 1

After the track laying and river sorting I slapped a load of plaster/filler to create the ground form at the front.

The end where the buildings would be planted I left the foam uncovered. The third photo is the pub rear almost ready for planting.

Finally I started on the static grass using my home built applicator.

Pete. 

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The first photo is of my derelict house the second its in place. Also in the foreground of the second photo is the fencing I built with coffee stirrers and old rocket sticks for posts, before painting a mucky weathered wood grey.

Third is the fencing in place plus taller fencing the opposite side of the track and fourth the fencing with bushes and weeds etc detailing it.

I will try and take some more photos of it as I have done a little more work on it since these were taken.

Cheer's, Pete. 

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

• Like 12

12 hours ago, toplink@()1989))(( said:

It is an O scale Lima rtr shunter. Suitably Anglicied and weathered. I have also replaced the motor and added a LaisDcc chip, so it now runs a treat.

Thanks Pete, it really looks the part!

The derelict house is fantastic too.

Edited by south_tyne
Added stuff

• 2 weeks later...