Inertia Controller using LM317

RobertW

Hi All,

I'm currently designing an LM317 based model railway controller for a shunting layout (essentially just using the standard LM317 circuit with the resistors trimmed for a maximum of 9V).

I'm trying to add inertial simulation to the controller, but I'm not sure how would be best to do it. On previous controllers where I'm using a Darlington circuit, I can add it to the base of the Darlington.

It occurred to me that I could add a capacitor between the adjustment pin of the regulator and ground it would gradually decrease the voltage on the adjust pin, which would then lower the output voltage slowly as well, but this would be harder to control in terms of the amount of inertia provided and it would possibly have to be quite large to sustain the inertia.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use an inertial simulation element with an LM317 regulator.

Thanks,

Rob

There’s no need to “ sustain “ the inertia only applies to situations where the control voltage is changing so an RC circuit on the feedback pin and make the “ R” adjustable to simulate different levels of momentum 

Edited by Junctionmad