Woodhead Transfers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Once they start to break up - that's it.

You could try a coat of Klear though, wait for it to dry, then you would have to cut the decals out to the print line and apply to the model using Klear to keep them in place.

I've tried this - before the decals covered were introduced by another maker, but it's a lot of messing about.

Accept the loss and move on!

Thanks

Phil H

Hi Andy - don't throw them away just yet!

I have successfully 'revived' several sheets of old Woodhead transfers using 'French Polish' and meths.

Thinly coat the formerly sticky side of the transfer sheet with pale french polish and let it dry. Cut out around the required transfer and apply a small amount of slightly diluted meths to the area of the model where the transfer is to be located. Immediately place the 'french polished' transfer in place and lightly brush on some more diluted meths. Keep applying small quantities of the dilute meths until the carrier paper floats away.

I have been able to use several hundred individual Woodhead transfers with this method that had previously dried up and broken up using normal methods of application. In my opinion the quality of Woodhead transfers is excellent and I'm so pleased that I can still use them decades later.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, andytrains said:

I have some old sheets of Woodhead Transfers.

They have deteriorated and when you try to use them they fall to bits.

Is there anyway of restoring whats left on the sheets, so they are useable?

It was the demise of Woodhead Transfers - by far the best at that time - that prompted me to produce my own; hence https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

I have successfully used Microscale Liquid Decal Film.  I painted a thin layer (or two - I can't remember) of the film onto my sets of Woodhead Transfers.  This gives them a bit of strength again and allows them to be used as ordinary water slide transfers.  I also tend to use Microscale's Microset and Microsol when applying transfers - the Microset is painted onto the area that the transfer will reside, once the transfer is in place any residual Microset is wicked away with a small paint brush or corner of tissue..  The Microsol is painted over the transfer to soften it and allow it to follow any contours.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It was the demise of Woodhead Transfers - by far the best at that time - that prompted me to produce my own; hence https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

I have successfully used Microscale Liquid Decal Film.  I painted a thin layer (or two - I can't remember) of the film onto my sets of Woodhead Transfers.  This gives them a bit of strength again and allows them to be used as ordinary water slide transfers.  I also tend to use Microscale's Microset and Microsol when applying transfers - the Microset is painted onto the area that the transfer will reside, once the transfer is in place any residual Microset is wicked away with a small paint brush or corner of tissue..  The Microsol is painted over the transfer to soften it and allow it to follow any contours.

Ian

Ian.

Thanks for the tip I will try the Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Just ordered some off EBAY.

John.

I use your transfers and Modelmaster for most things.

Just don't like throwing the Woodhead ones away.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Andy Neil.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ah, but, Woodhead realised the railway didn't end in 1965!

Mike.

(Tongue firmly in cheek as a satisfied CCT customer).

• Funny 1

58 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Mike,

I realise that too - but I know my limits !

A-Levels commanded my attention around 1965, and I lost touch with what was happening after that. I could see the end of steam coming, and that was it for me.

I produce transfers - for the period that interests me - for my own use, and I make them available to other modellers.

I have no interest in, (or knowledge of), the subsequent years; and to gain that knowledge and extend the range period would require considerable research and design time.

As things stand, supplying transfers to others is likely to mean that my much anticipated 'Evercreech Junction 1961' is unlikely to ever materialise - there aren't enough hours in the day.

Other suppliers service the post 1965 period - if they aren't supplying what you need then I'm afraid that you'll have to pressure them; I will not be extending the period that I cover.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

When I started building model railways I found that the world had apparently ended on 31st December 1947, BR transfers of any sort only appeared in the 1960s.