Featuring my dad's collection of SR locomotives

• 3 weeks later...

Guys a question, I am now on video 8 in this series, its a lot of work despite being short films but I have been very disheartened at the low view count.

Are kit and scratch built locos of little interest these days or am I doing something wrong?

Genuinely perplexed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6K2NC5c4iU&list=PLlCB0QttYAPoNF5umgBjLuQuH2crD31oH

Hi Mike,

Just looked at your 1st video. The production quality is really very good, video (sharpness, focus, focal interest, and I like the dolly shots using the adjacent track) and the narration is very clear. There are so many poor quality 'hand-held' videos on YT that I dismiss a lot within the 1st minute. Whilst the subject matter isn't my field of interest, I watched the whole way through. I wish you all the best with the rest, I'm sure the viewing figures will creep up as more people get to know of your channel. Perhaps see if other modeller's will give you a shout on their YT channel?

Question, does the view count increase if it's watched as an embedded video like here on RMWeb, or does it only count if you watch in YT?

Also, how long do you have to watch a video for before it registers a count? 1 second, the whole lot, 5% of the running time?

Anybody know?

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Hi Mike,

Just looked at your 1st video. The production quality is really very good, video (sharpness, focus, focal interest, and I like the dolly shots using the adjacent track) and the narration is very clear. There are so many poor quality 'hand-held' videos on YT that I dismiss a lot within the 1st minute. Whilst the subject matter isn't my field of interest, I watched the whole way through. I wish you all the best with the rest, I'm sure the viewing figures will creep up as more people get to know of your channel. Perhaps see if other modeller's will give you a shout on their YT channel?

Question, does the view count increase if it's watched as an embedded video like here on RMWeb, or does it only count if you watch in YT?

Also, how long do you have to watch a video for before it registers a count? 1 second, the whole lot, 5% of the running time?

Anybody know?

Hi and many thanks for the support and nice comments.

I do put a huge effort into my films so it's nice to know they are liked.

To answer your questions.

Yes watching an embedded video does count towards the views.

To get a count of 1 view you must watch 75% or more, but that does add up if you watch in up to three sittings and come back at the same point.

The reason I am chasing views is that once I hit a certain level YouTube grants me better tools and protections thus making better videos possible.

I run MikesMovies, that is a big channel and I get a lot more tools on that.

Thanks again

Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Mike, your dad was obviously a very capable modeller, and if he did the painting and lining as well it is to a very high standard indeed.

The locos must be some of your most treasured possessions.

John.

Hi John, that is so kind of you, yes dad did all of it from the kit or scratch build up.

He is still with us, but dementia has its claws on him so that he no longer remembers making them.

Fortunately I made a video of him and I in slightly better times.

Here it is in case you would like to see it.

This is hosted on my other channel but will transfer to MRU soon 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/08/2019 at 15:11, mikesndbs said:

Guys a question, I am now on video 8 in this series, its a lot of work despite being short films but I have been very disheartened at the low view count.

Are kit and scratch built locos of little interest these days or am I doing something wrong?

Genuinely perplexed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6K2NC5c4iU&list=PLlCB0QttYAPoNF5umgBjLuQuH2crD31oH

Possibly easy to explain, I for one didn't know about your videos until I saw this thread. Now I do know about them I'll be passing the word among my friends and others. Please continue your work which I thought excellent, I'm already thinking T9 into L12 and S11 now I know it can be done.

Although it is possible to buy some important Southern classes RTR the variety seen from the platform end is not possible without kits or conversions. So your videos are valuable for those of us who model the Southern.

CAT

• Friendly/supportive 1

Great to watch the video with your Dad, and get the inside story on his models.

As someone who has made a few kit locos, I think it's almost impossible for someone who hasn't to understand the amount of work they involve, and anguish if it doesn't go right, particularly if you're going to get the detailing in and correct, and produce a quality finish.

We are so fortunate now with the stuff we can buy RTR, but it will never, ever have the same emotional impact as something you or one close to you has made.

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1