addiscombe EMU depot

18B

evening,

EMU's have never held much of an interest for me, but the "old stations" website certainly has and while looking at it I came across Addiscombe station, carriage shed and later EMU depot,

My question is, when was it electrified? for looking at this pic

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/addiscombe/index38.shtml

a third rail seems to have been added to each of its four roads?

I got my driving job at Addiscombe in June 1978, being promoted from 2nd man at Kings Cross. It took 6 months in the training school at Waterloo before I passed out, then about 3 months road learning. Addiscombe drivers worked into Charing Cross and Cannon Street, and from there to Dartford via 4 routes as far as Gillingham; via Orpington to Sevenoaks; the "mid Kent" lines from Lewisham to Hayes, Addiscombe and Sanderstead. So route knowledge was fairly limited with just the 2 London termini to go to.

Semaphore signalling was the order of the day from woodside to Sanderstead and Addiscombe. Sanderstead was a rush hour only service, trains reversing on the crossover to the south of the station on the main line. a lot of money was spent in that period replacing semaphores with semaphores, new station signs and lights, which all added up to the running costs and reasons for eventual closure.

My time at Addiscombe was short, as my preference move to Waterloo came up in May 1980.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2