Leamington & Warwick MRS Exhibition 7-8 March 2020

LWMRSNews

It was still busy as visitors did not know about it until arriving at the show. It’s not been advertised by the LWMRC as that my have put people off attending but that’s just my thoughts. It was all open fully by midday but I had left by then. 

cheers

shane

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

It was still busy as visitors did not know about it until arriving at the show. It’s not been advertised by the LWMRC as that my have put people off attending but that’s just my thoughts. It was all open fully by midday but I had left by then. 

cheers

shane

That's a bit unkind, we didn't know until arriving, and then didn't know how long before the police allowed entrance to the crime scene.  People arriving were told what had happened / what couldn't yet be seen and offered reduced ticket prices accordingly.  When the full show was available ticket prices returned to normal - some lucky punters got the whole show at a reduced price, but it was heart-warming that some returned to the cash desk to pay the extra when they realised.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 minutes ago, steve4rosegrove said:

That's a bit unkind, we didn't know until arriving, and then didn't know how long before the police allowed entrance to the crime scene.  People arriving were told what had happened / what couldn't yet be seen and offered reduced ticket prices accordingly.  When the full show was available ticket prices returned to normal - some lucky punters got the whole show at a reduced price, but it was heart-warming that some returned to the cash desk to pay the extra when they realised.

Cant see what's unkind about Shane's post, merely just stating the facts?

As an ex member of the Society its a horrible thing to have happened but I echo Shane's comments that it was still busy and obviously someone within the society made the decision to lower the prices not any of the paying public, so your point is a bit of an odd one. 

12 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Cant see what's unkind about Shane's post, merely just stating the facts?

As an ex member of the Society its a horrible thing to have happened but I echo Shane's comments that it was still busy and obviously someone within the society made the decision to lower the prices not any of the paying public, so your point is a bit of an odd one. 

Unkind to suggest that it was "deliberately kept quiet to avoid putting people off"  .  No-one knew until the horrible discovery in the morning, and it was hoped to open up the whole show as soon as the police allowed it.  They were informed as soon as possible and they came as fast as they could, so we hoped that we wouldn't need to put people off.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Following the incident that occurred overnight on Friday reported here and elsewhere please be advised that the exhibition continues in full today and will be open at 10am today as normal.

Please do come along and enjoy our efforts to entertain you.

As soon as appropriate a further statement will be issued with more details as we are able to release them.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I wonder how secure the building is?

I also wondered that, as well as feelings of sympathy for the Cheltenham Model Centre team.

Hope the Police can catch those responsible.

I also hope that insurance will cover the losses?

Best of luck for the show for the rest of today.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Administrators
13 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I wonder how secure the building is?

As secure as any similar building. These people came with equipment and a plan. It wasn't a casual break in. However, the trader affected has asked for no publicity so can we move on. 

15 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

As Steve said, we didn't know until 7am and then had to follow police advice. Quite how should we have advertised it? The hall was reopened by lunchtime and those that came in before this were given a discount. I'm not sure what else we could have done. All the traders wanted to get open too.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a very enjoyable morning at the show. So unaccustomed to good weather for this show so well done organisers there! 

I’m a bit old school and it always does me good to see pre grouping layouts and Clarendon and Hope under Dinsmore are both superb examples and this was the first time I’d seen Scrubbs Lane in operation so worth the entrance money alone for these two layouts.

One constructive observation for future years if I may, but would it be possible to have a few chairs in the gym as there were only three on the public side of things and not inside exhibitors barriers. 2 in front of the 009 stands and one at the rear door occupied by a steward. 

A small thing, but I for one would have appreciated the opportunity to take the weight off as they say for a few minutes while down there.

Edited by Dragonboy
  • Like 1

Break-in at the Model Railway Exhibition at Leamington Spa. Friday 6th / Saturday 7th March 2020.

The opening of the Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society exhibition was delayed on Saturday morning as the result of a break in at the exhibition centre where the event was being staged. Intruders cut their way through the perimeter fence before forcing an entry to a building. They made off with a considerable amount of new model railway stock belonging to one of the trade stands attending the exhibition. The stolen items were loaded into building material cube bags and a larger section of the perimeter fence was then cut away to enable the bags to be dragged away to a parked vehicle on a remote track running between the grounds of the venue and the river the police believe. The raid was almost certainly pre-planned and well executed by an organised crime group from outside of the area. (Other exhibition organisers please take note).

Scenes of crime investigators attended and collected a number of items of interest left by the raiders. Police Officers are also collecting CCTV material for review from the venue and the wider local area.

The exhibition was eventually able to fully open to the public at 12:30 pm on Saturday morning and has been open as normal today, Sunday 8th March 2020 from 10:00am.

Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society club members expressed concern that there have been a number of similar incidents across the country in the recent past but are pleased to report that on this occasion the intruders have not touched any of the models on display and no further damaged was caused.

Edited by LWMRSNews
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

To be fair, LWMRS you did open on time on Saturday (I was in the queue!), though perhaps not fully! I don't know why we have some negative comments, you did all you could at the time by letting people know before we came as to what had happened and the reduced entrance fee. Regrettably I couldn't stay long but I appreciate what you did and I am sure most of the early visitors on Saturday felt the same. 

Well done and I hope they catch the ratbags that did it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, LWMRSNews said:

Break-in at the Model Railway Exhibition at Leamington Spa. Friday 6th / Saturday 7th March 2020.

The opening of the Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society exhibition was delayed on Saturday....

....Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society club members expressed concern that there have been a number of similar incidents across the country in the recent past but are pleased to report that on this occasion the intruders have not touched any of the models on display and no further damaged was caused.

May I thank you for a well written, clear and unsensationialised report of the incident.

John K

Edited by John K
Typos
  • Like 2

I thought the show was good; they had some very good N gauge layouts and all with plenty of movement.

If they catch those who did the break in their punishment should be two days in the stocks at next year's exhibition so we could all show them how we feel towards them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I visited on Saturday morning and my heart did sink a little, given past events, when I was told the news as we got to the door.  Like Hobby I had a limited time slot so couldn't hang around too long.

However given the situation, I think it was handled very well from my viewpoint and whilst I was a little disappointed that the bit I wanted to see wasn't available it was fully understandable and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show overall.

I wish all those affected well and with luck Warwickshire's finest can get a break on tracking those responsible down.

Thanks L&W MRS, I had a thoroughly enjoyable morning out, well worth the effort of getting up early on  Saturday for.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

On behalf of the Hope-under-Dinmore team we would like to thank the LWMRS for a very friendly and enjoyable show. The catering was top notch and we really enjoyed our own little room with the LNWR Society and the EMGS. The unexpected best in show award was the icing on the cake.

• Like 4