If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium

Hi there, George from London here! 

I've been a lurker here for a short while and am so amazed by the quality of modelling and creativity here.

This being my first post, a bit of back story. I grew up in Paddington very near Royal Oak station in the 50s. So I can just about remember those nasty, noisy, smelly beasts, we hold so dear. I envied my brother as he was 8 years older and therefore saw a great deal more than I, of the end the steam era. He was an avid spotter and I used to join him at Royal Oak station. We often talked about building a layout, but never got past the train set stage. I would love to watch the Warships and the class 52’s. And there was a fair bit of shunting being carried out by class 08's I remember.

As we had relatives in Devon, we would often spend our summer holidays there. I can just about remember the journey from Paddington to Brixham probably changing at Torquay.

Then life got in the way and so it was many years later that I finally got a chance to design and build a layout. As we didn’t have a great deal of space, I decided on N scale. My wife and I set out to build a rural scene with a railway running through it. And after a couple of years of building, we were quie pleased with the results. We ended up selling it once our daughter was born.

Well that was over 25 years ago and now I’m retired and have got the time to dive back in. 

So this time I have about 12' x 2’ 6” for an end to end layout. And because I want to scratch build as many structures as possible. I’ve decided OO will be more practical. And of course my eyesight is 20 years older too! Am planning another rural landscape with lots of trees and a canal/river. Oh, and a railway running through it too. So inspired by the wonderful Pendon layouts, aren’t we all! And so here we go with another bloody GWR branch line.

• Like 2