Howard Smith

BRM September 2019 DCC SPECIAL

Welcome everyone to the September 2019 issue of BRM, the running theme for which is Digital Command Control. From interviews with manufacturers, to professionals who provide DCC services with a sprinkling of helpful practical articles to boot - we hope you'll find solace in this issue to answer your digital questions.

On-sale this afternoon at pocketmags.com/BRM or available in stores from August 15.

LAYOUTS

Yorkshire Pennines (N): This exhibition crowd-pleaser demonstrates computer control excellence, with a surround-viewing experience.

Feature_6.jpg.94ac8d39b5f554cc9f5c9b6169f369f4.jpg

Gamston Bank (OO): Following an interesting career touring shows, this layout met a fiery end, though its locomotives live on.

Gamston_15_04.jpg.039494f74b8f3a2a3f83bd851f36ac59.jpg

Derwent Road (O9): Set in the mid-1980s, this compressed model showcases authentic mid-century architecture.

Derwent23.jpg.7173a470612cfa8e7105553b466da6a9.jpg

PRACTICAL

Modelling Autumn: Creating a seasonal shift from the summer on your model railway has never been easier, as Michael Russell shows.

Photo76.jpg.fa0767fb16f44da96862f9ebebf6a797.jpg

The BRM guide to DCC decoders: Howard Smith provides a quick guide to the most popular DCC decoders.

DCD-ZN218-6A.jpg.ac41c9b77bc9b2b2b6bb2ed400f987eb.jpg

Decoder functionality explored: Ian Mellors takes a closer look at advanced decoder features and their configuration.

906681437_Step2.jpg.946200684ed15294170d8ff57a50bb41.jpg

Hardwire a chip: Phil Parker fits a DCC decoder to a veteran Hornby Class 25. Here's how you can fit DCC to your older models, too.

Lead.jpg.2193a183e414d2e35dba059ed973df77.jpg

Fit a DCC uncoupler: Howard Smith installs an automatic uncoupler to a Hornby LNER J36.

13.jpg.e490b31e1a71686fa1ee99ddcf00deb1.jpg

BRM meets Rail Exclusive: Howard Smith visits the UK distributor for Zimo DCC products.

2.jpg.4f148c91fce14c79c02ab551623c0a75.jpg

Behind the scenes: DCC Supplies’ Worcester store offers a great deal more than your average model shop, as Howard Smith discovers.

LEAD_1.jpg.35dfcd444b6e515b98b50a0ef36fc2cb.jpg

Q+A with DCC Fitting: We collated your common questions on DCC and put them to the experts.

209196064_mainpic.jpg.e95a4a956010e24ebb7e9f2f3e74d358.jpg

Grandad's train set: Phil Parker creates this miniature train set diorama in a large scale.

Finished1_(2).jpg.6cc6c394e5654468c56dc4a575243af5.jpg

REVIEW

Bachmann ex-ROD 2-8-0 L&NWR Class MM: Andy York takes a closer look at this new tooling.

Bachmann_ROD_6.jpg.cbedec55b0dcf62ad546f21981f008dc.jpg

Graham Farish TEAs: These new wagons are put to the test by Andy York.

Farish_TEA_2.jpg.df19fed2b2868313a0f8892310a73711.jpg

All this and more in the September 2019 issue of BRM, on-sale this afternoon at pocketmags.com/BRM or available in stores from August 15.

Happy reading!

• Like 4

Hi guys, looks like the BRM TV link on the frontpage  of this issue needs an edit, it currently gives no result and points to: https//youtu.be/-VjYB4eayhg (sic).

16 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Hi guys, looks like the BRM TV link on the frontpage  of this issue needs an edit, it currently gives no result and points to: https//youtu.be/-VjYB4eayhg (sic).

Odd. It's playing for me (Android tablet) and I get the same link (but it won't play from copy/pasting the link).

Hi Andy, looks like there's a colon missing after https. My browser (Chrome on Win 10) doesn't accept that. Works fine if I add the colon.

• Informative/Useful 2

Print edition arrived today. DCC supplier articles are interesting. Plenty more to read when I have a mo.

Minor typo in the book reviews, Malden is in Surrey but Maldon is in Essex :)

Glad to be able to contribute, payment already invested in a set of Tim Horn baseboards :)

Please can you get my name right in the OP though Howard, it's gamekeeper not politician ........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Please can you get my name right in the OP though Howard, it's gamekeeper not politician

Fixed; apologies!

No photos in your Chelsea outfit?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Fixed; apologies!

No photos in your Chelsea outfit?

Glad someone understands my objection to the missing "s" LOL

• Like 1

When will the print version be release to newsagents etc?

Thanks in advance

Just now, davidw said:

When will the print version be release to newsagents etc?

Thanks in advance

Thursday this week. Subs copies are already out.

Many thanks for such a quick reply...

21 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Glad to be able to contribute, payment already invested in a set of Tim Horn baseboards :)

Please can you get my name right in the OP though Howard, it's gamekeeper not politician ........

Apologies Ian, wrist duly smacked! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There was a great little article on how someone had converted a LMS brake and composite coach into a push and pull coach. Shame it wasn't a detailed 'how to', as I would of bought a copy.