Location for Shrewsbury Caprotti Cl 5

Norton961

I aquired this photo some time ago showing one of Shrewsburys Caprotti Standard 5s with an 84G shedplate (they were later swapped with Patricroft for the normal valve gear locos in the late 1950s) but for the life of me I have no idea wher the photo is taken. Can anyone help?

73129 84G shedplate unknown location..jpg

4 hours ago, Winnie said:

Could be Landore as the head code 210 was Manchester London road -Swansea  

I don't think it was Landore;-

The curve with the coaches on it is not sharp enough

Landore didn't have a gasworks.

There was a big chimney stack belonging to the local copperworks which would be very evident in the background.

The same copperworks had a very large slagheap, which would be behind the last coach. This was still there in the 1970s.

I'd go with Tyseley.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Based solely on one particular object - which appears to be a signal - I am going for somewhere in the Bristol area but beyond that I can't place it.  A bit more delving suggests that it is probably Barton Hill although I can't find any maps or photos which show the gas plant although both the signal, running line curvature and the shed building in the background all fit for Barton Hill.

Edited by The Stationmaster

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Based solely on one particular object - which appears to be a signal - I am going for somewhere in the Bristol area but beyond that I can't place it.

It couldn't be Barrow Road, could it, with the line to Laurence Hill in the background? The only plan I have of that is pretty vague, as it's in the GWR/WR book by Cooke: there are some similarities, but the gasworks isn't shown, and the shed should be closer than it is in the photo.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It couldn't be Barrow Road, could it, with the line to Laurence Hill in the background? The only plan I have of that is pretty vague, as it's in the GWR/WR book by Cooke: there are some similarities, but the gasworks isn't shown, and the shed should be closer than it is in the photo.

No Brian - the signal and gas plant are all wrong for Barrow Road,.  As I've just added some further delving suggests that it is more likely to be Barton Hill

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

No Brian - the signal and gas plant are all wrong for Barrow Road,.  As I've just added some further delving suggests that it is more likely to be Barton Hill

Not the first time I've been on the wrong side of the tracks... however, I thought that the MR tracks at Barton Hill were at the same level as what was later to become the wagon works.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Not the first time I've been on the wrong side of the tracks... however, I thought that the MR tracks at Barton Hill were at the same level as what was later to become the wagon works.

Not always Brian.  In the 1930s  the resignalling there were at the temple Meads end two separate, diverging, entrances to what was then known as Doctor Day's Bridge Carriage Sidings.  What is there today is very different from what was once there plus I thin  the running lines between Temple Meads East and Doctor Day's were definitely slued onto a new alignment when the MAS scheme work was carried out.  At the same time the connection at the Temple Meads end into Dr Day's Sidings (aka nowadays as Barton Hill) was reduced to a single connection and nearer the station.