Railways of the West of England in the 1980s

Rivercider

Many thanks to those who read my first book (Railways of the Western Region in the 1970s and 1980s), I hope you found something of interest.

I am grateful to Amberley Publishing for my second book 'Railways of the West of England in the 1980s', it will be published in September 2019. 

The book covers the former West of England Division of the WR, with photos from Worcester to Truro, via Swindon and Westbury. The Bristol/Avonmouth area is well covered, as is Somerset and Devon which were my local areas. The photos were mostly taken between 1980 and 1986, and are of the BR Blue era, before Sectorisation had taken hold.  1991905648_Bookcover300dpi.jpg.90a17d67740c0862ad6c9ccb65c3eeed.jpg

Cheers

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 18/09/2019 at 19:41, SouthernBlue80s said:

Just bought your book Kenny -

Railways of the Western Region in the 1970s and 1980s

Very much enjoyed the pictures

Many thanks.

I found it interesting looking through my old photos and notes, and spent quite some time cross-checking details.

The pre-sectorisation era is one I with many happy memories for me,

cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 02/10/2019 at 20:57, brushman47544 said:

Like the book, but find it incredible that all the Peak photos are of 45s. Not a 46 to be seen, despite LA having an allocation.

Only had an allocation until 1980 ?

i have both books by Kevin and they are very good, very informative caption s

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/10/2019 at 20:57, brushman47544 said:

Like the book, but find it incredible that all the Peak photos are of 45s. Not a 46 to be seen, despite LA having an allocation.

Sorry Andrew, I had not seen this comment before. 

Yes that is a fair point, I have tried to get a balance of photos in the book(s) between various classes and types of train, but failed in that respect.

I am just looking through my photo collection at the moment, I did take quite a few class 46 photos. Most of them were in early 1980 when I was getting to grips with the camera. I did not think most of them would scan well enough to reproduce in a book, but there are a couple I should have included.

cheers

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/01/2020 at 22:33, rob D2 said:

Only had an allocation until 1980 ?

i have both books by Kevin and they are very good, very informative caption s

Thanks for your kind comment Rob.

Looking in my books I see Laira had class 46s into 1981, and of course they still visited the Region after that, until 1984.

Most of the class 46 photos I took were on dull days in early 1980, but there are a couple I could (and should) have included.

cheers   

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

Sorry Andrew, I had not seen this comment before. 

Yes that is a fair point, I have tried to get a balance of photos in the book(s) between various classes and types of train, but failed in that respect.

I am just looking through my photo collection at the moment, I did take quite a few class 46 photos. Most of them were in early 1980 when I was getting to grips with the camera. I did not think most of them would scan well enough to reproduce in a book, but there are a couple I should have included.

cheers

My comment wasn’t intended as a criticism. It just seemed strange all those Peaks and not one a 46!

• Like 2