Bluebell Railway 'O1' No. 65

Davey

I'm looking for some information on the Bluebell based, preserved 0-6-0 'O1' class locomotive No. 65 and would be grateful if anyone could provide some answers to my questions.

There are two circular holes slightly above the coupling hook, cut in the front buffer-beam of the locomotive. Photographs of No.65, clearly show these holes and a photograph on the Bluebell website showing the same locomotive, in Southern Railway days, shows the same two holes, so clearly it has carried them for a very long time. However a photograph of it in it's original form as a South Eastern Railway class 'O' does not show them, so I am assuming they appeared after it was rebuilt by Wainright into class 'O1'.

So my questions are,  (1) what was the purpose of these holes, and (2) were they common to all 'O1' class locomotives? I have trawled the internet for pictures of 'O1's, but unfortunately, none of the photographs I have found are sufficiently sharp to answer my question.

Thanking you in anticipation of any replies I may receive.

Davey

Hadn't noticed those before - but I think they WERE present in original form : just about visible on the bottom photo on http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/65/jh16.html

I'd GUESS that they are to take the end of the valve rods when dismantling IF the valves are between the cylinders ( can someone confirm the latter ? ) .......... you'll see similar holes on other locos - though often covered by blanking plates ( Complete with lamp irons on the three-cylinder mogul family ! ).

Thanks Wickham Green, what you say makes sense.

Regarding the original SER 'O' Class Locomotives, I have a couple of SER kits for the 'O' class, one partially built, but the said holes don't appear on the buffer-beam etches, but of course that is no proof that they shouldn't be there.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else comes up with alternative theories, but as things stand I'm inclined to believe that you have identified the reason for them.

Many thanks, 

Davey

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't mind, but I copied your question on to National Preservation. One of the guys on there is a driver at the Bluebell, he doesn't know the answer but will ask at the loco department. Something to do with valve removal is his suggestion as well. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A few pictures of 01 class 0-6-0:

image.png.0e11448f1ad89c0552588e07aa9015aa.png1859328454_O10-6-0.jpg.d7ba02bf0fb4c2585e5e124ad9fd3b06.jpg

I hope that these help, no sign of the removable plates on the buffer beam.  I do have a picture somewhere of an Sterling "R1" 0-6-0 tank on Ashford works with the centre section of the buffer beam dismantled for access to the pistons and valves. 

Perhaps the Bluebell Railway have carried out there own modification to the preserved 01 to make valve/piston inspections and repairs that much easier?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

Thanks 5944,

I don't mind at all, and look forward to what your request turns up.

That's the beauty of this form, there is so much untapped knowledge out there, and in this instance it's a case of I don't know, but someone may know a man who does.

Davey

• RMweb Premium

My pleasure Davey, I have one to build too, kit purchased from Branchlines if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your build.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thanks Richard B.

My build will be  to Scale 7 standards, with a combination of scratch built frames, SER Kits and Laurie Griffin kit etches. I will use SER Kits etches where possible as they are far superior to the Laurie Griffin ones. Having said that, the LG castings are superb, so will be used almost exclusively.

The scratch built locomotive main frames and spacers will be milled from 0.028" nickel silver. I am undecided as yet whether to fit the working inside motion  an additional purchase from Laurie Griffin.

Davey