Mid Wales Model Railway Exhibition 2019

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

The programme for the 2019 show is now available. It looks like being a great event. We are trying to move on from just being a local show attracting passers by and locals to one it is worth coming to Welshpool for. I hope you think the programme is suitably attractive and look forward to meeting lots of RMWebbers:

The Mid Wales Model Railway Show 2019

Organised by the Newtown Model Railway Society

Welshpool Town Hall, Saturday 26th October 2019,

Doors open 10am, close 5pm

Layouts in the main hall;-

Roy Link “Crowsnest Tramway” – taking a break from his publishing business to show his superlative 16mm scale model – we believe for the first time in public.

Karl Crowther “Hebble Vale Goods” – guest editor of Model Railway Journal and professional modelmaker with a superb rendition of the Lancashire and Yorkshire borders in 4mm scale EM gauge.

Paul Holmes “Hulme End” – another new narrow gauge layout in 7mm scale from a prolific builder of quality models. 17.5mm track gauge, DCC with sound and smoke effects

Ben Lord “Amalgamated Wagon Works” – showing the 7mm standard gauge layout first built by David H Smith, Ben and the Rochdale group have turned this in to an entertaining shunting layout, proving that good 7mm scale can be built in small spaces.

Barrie Johnston “Pen-y-Graig” – a skilfully executed slate quarry model in 5.5mm scale. Completely scratchbuilt with working incline and man powered wagons. Possibly the most atmospheric slate quarry model since Dave Rowe’s early dioramas.

Iain Chippendale “Clough Street Sidings” – 7mm scale standard gauge – Iain and his team from the Alsager MRS have supported our show in the past – This is another of the excellent layouts that they have built over the years. Visitors are encouraged to try their hand at operating.

Peter Kazer “Blythborough” – Peter is probably one of the best narrow gauge modellers in the country today and has been a long term supporter of the Welshpool Show. The model is built to a scale of ¼ inch to the foot and represents the intermediate station on the Southwold Railway – absolutely top class modelling.

Tony Bucknell “ Harkness” – based on the North Sunderland Railway this is a first for Tony in EM gauge , and features some excellent kit built rolling stock.

Newtown Model Railway Society “Pool Road” - the host club’s 4mm finescale layout has recently been rewired and renovated. Not often on the exhibition trail – enjoy it while you can.

Full support from the Corris Railway Society, the Bishop’s Castle Railway Society and the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway Society, including Dave Rowe’s iconic “Llareggub” in OO9.

Trade support from Tractex, Buffer Books and John Percival’s Walsworth Models.

Full demonstration of modelling by Phil May and Derek Mundy.

Tea, Coffee and cakes will be available to the public in the lower hall, together with displays by the Cambrian Engineering Society, Walter Turner, Alan Crowe with the W&L town trail and a first appearance of the Newtown MRS “Montgomery (Bishop’s Castle Railway)“.

Jonathan David

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Several layouts at this exhibition have considerable attraction for narrow gauge modellers. In addition there is the opportunity to visit the W&L Railway.

It is therefore very unfortunate that the date chosen clashes with the annual ExpoNG held at Swanley in Kent.

My own position is that despite living a 100 mile drive from Swanley and 161 from Llanfair, I would very gladly attend both events were it possible.

CP

• RMweb Premium

I appreciate that it clashes with other events. There is a specific reason for the date. It is the weekend at the end of the Powys school half term and the beginning of that in Shropshire. As we have to book the hall a year ahead we are not usually aware anyway of clashes. We just assume there will be some. In fact can anyone suggest a week other than Christmas when there are not at least two clashing shows? This year two of the three national societies I belong to managed to have their AGMs on the same day because both were trying to avoid other events in the locality.

BTW were I still living in the Home Counties I would have had Expo NG near the top of my list of shows to attend. I used to go from the days when it was in Greenwich.

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I appreciate that it clashes with other events. There is a specific reason for the date. It is the weekend at the end of the Powys school half term and the beginning of that in Shropshire. As we have to book the hall a year ahead we are not usually aware anyway of clashes.....

Jonathan

My post above was an expression of sadness rather than anger.

However, that said I find the statement -

"As we have to book the hall a year ahead we are not usually aware of any clashes ....."

- an inadequate explanation. ExpoNG has been held in late October (and specifically on the last Saturday during at least the last decade) for more years than I care to remember. It is a fixed date on the calendar for narrow gauge modellers as should have been known.

With so much attractive content this year I find the date of Welshpool Exhibition to be a very serious disappointment.

CP

2 hours ago, cp409067 said:

My post above was an expression of sadness rather than anger.

However, that said I find the statement -

"As we have to book the hall a year ahead we are not usually aware of any clashes ....."

- an inadequate explanation. ExpoNG has been held in late October (and specifically on the last Saturday during at least the last decade) for more years than I care to remember. It is a fixed date on the calendar for narrow gauge modellers as should have been known.

With so much attractive content this year I find the date of Welshpool Exhibition to be a very serious disappointment.

CP

Speaking as one of a team that organizes two exhibitions in the UK I find that the above comment somewhat puzzling. It is normal for most clubs/societies/organizations to book at least a year in advance, and with availability of layouts, some years in advance. As previous comments have already stated the date suggested itself as being the best compromise in a local context, and not with another show some 200+miles away uppermost in mind.  The fact that there is a larger element of NG layouts at this years show is coincidental, as availability of layouts changes from year to year, which obviously affects the layout line-up . Bear in mind also that some of these may have travelled a fair distance to get to Mid Wales, as may have many of the potential customers.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Speaking as one of a team that organizes two exhibitions in the UK I find that the above comment somewhat puzzling. It is normal for most clubs/societies/organizations to book at least a year in advance, and with availability of layouts, some years in advance. As previous comments have already stated the date suggested itself as being the best compromise in a local context, and not with another show some 200+miles away uppermost in mind.  The fact that there is a larger element of NG layouts at this years show is coincidental, as availability of layouts changes from year to year, which obviously affects the layout line-up . Bear in mind also that some of these may have travelled a fair distance to get to Mid Wales, as may have many of the potential customers.

As a seasoned exhibitor (in excess of 200 exhibitions and on three occasions having driven with layouts from the UK to Liepzig and back) I fully understand the issues of forward planning, distance, etc.

For more than 25 years I have driven approximately 100 miles each way to ExpoNG (either as a visitor or exhibitor) and intend to do so again this year.

The NG content at the Mid Wales exhibition this year is very attractive. Three of the layouts I have seen before and would be happy to see again. I would especially like to see Roy Link’s “Crowsnest Tramway” (making its first appearance) and would gladly drive the 160 odd miles each way for the privilege of doing so were it not the same day as ExpoNG.

I appreciate that my viewpoint in this matter is that of a dedicated narrow gauge modeller, but I suspect I am not alone in feeling that this tragic clash of dates is both unfortunate and very disappointing.

Yesterday the latest issue of Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review arrived on my desk. On page 384 there are two (and only two) exhibitions of interest to narrow gauge modellers detailed.  These are ExpoNG and Welshpool exhibition. For those unaware of the matter the editor of this most excellent journal is the aforementioned Roy Link.

I rest my case.

CP

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, cp409067 said:

tragic clash of dates

You know, sometimes you can't have everything in life. No-one's going to change a date now so you just have to make a big-boys' trousers decision as to where you spend the day but I would suggest RMweb is not the best place to post your thoughts in bold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

See your location is Gwynedd! Are you doing a car share or train?

Hi,

Travelling by car, but combining it with SWMBO doing clothes shopping and food shopping in Welshpool while we are there.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all who struggled through the weather, floods etc to get to the show. Hope your journey home was not too stressful. To get back to Newtown after the show from Welshpool we detoured via Llanfair C (not on the train) which was still wet but passable. Not sure how my colleague from Montgomery got on as all roads to the town seemed to be flooded.

I enjoyed talking to lots of people about our 7mm Montgomery Town project.

Jonathan

I thought last year's show would be hard to even match, let alone beat, but the organisers succeeded.  Well Done.

I was also impressed with the way some of those based in the vicinity were monitoring social media to keep us all abreast of what roads were open, what roads were shut and which were passable with care.  It meant I set off home at the end of the day with considerably more confidence than I had on my outward journey.

And would anyone care to second my proposal that whoever was responsible for the ginger cake be given a special award?  Fabulous!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I echo what Mike wrote. The 160 mile journey was well worth it. Thank goodness the Shrewsbury to Welshpool road was just about passable through the various amounts of flood water. Entering the show there was heavy rain and low lying cloud. Spirits were soon lifted by the layouts which were all first class. and it seems innocuous to single any particularly one out.  As to the cakes... I know one person purchased 3 slices of the ginger cake to home with him! The cakes came from Sidoli a Welshpool factory bakery.

Left the show in bright sun light 4 hours later and visited the cattle docks which have been completed. A sunny day was spent visiting the Severn Valley Railway before returning south.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone get any pictures of Roy Link's Crows Nest layout showing the whole thing as it was set-up for the show? I have seen close-up pictures but I would love to see how the whole thing looks.

I didn't hear about this show until too late! But that's just me. I have only just started to think about going to shows again and haven't been monitoring lists.