Creating a Newly Painted Finish

• RMweb Gold

By and large, the colours and finish of RTR coaching stock of recent years has generally been quite acceptable. However, I pondered that it would be nice to have a rake of coaches, or maybe just an individual having "newly repainted/revarnished paintwork"; in other words, a highly reflective, glossy finish. 

Would any member have a recommendation as which varnish might achieve this. My existing acrylic gloss varnish leaves a somewhat speckled appearance which refracts light andI would look awful on a railway coach.

Ideally a clear gloss varnish which can be airbrushed over the entire side, windows. and all.

On 06/08/2019 at 01:11, sb67 said:

Good luck with your airbrushing Adrian, that's something I'd like to get the hang of. I've tried both lifecolour and Vallejo, and found them both ok,  I like Model Air as it doesn't need thinning and the Vallejo dropper bottles are dead easy to use. I've found Ultimate thinners work with pretty much all acrylics I've tried and I've always added a tiny bit of acrylic retarder to slow down the drying time of the paints.

I'd like to try Tamiya paints as they seem to have a good reputation for airbrushing.

The thing I cant quite master yet is a cleaning and working routine so that the nozzle wont block between colours and creating effects etc, and I need to practice not putting too much paint on the model as that is, in my opinion, fundamental to weathering.

I'll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Steve.