National Collection in Miniature - D6535 'Hertfordshire Rail Tours'

AY Mod

• Moderators

Press Release Class 33 No D6535 - SMG-1.jpg

Locomotion Models are delighted to announce that they have commissioned a OO Scale Class 33/1 locomotive No. D6535 ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ from Heljan. This is the first exclusive edition model produced for Locomotion Models by the Danish manufacturer.

Built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company it was delivered on the 10th December 1960, it entered service on British Railways Southern Region as D6535. It was renumbered 33116 on 31st December 1973 and was named ‘Hertfordshire Rail Tours’ on 11th December 1993 at Weymouth station by John Farrow and Ian Kapur of Hertfordshire Rail Tours. The name was carried until April 1998. It was withdrawn from traffic in August 1998 and stored out of use at Old Oak Common until June 2003 when it was acquired for the National Collection. The National Railway Museum loaned it to the Great Central Railway in April 2005 where it has been located ever since and is available for traffic.

The Heljan model utilises existing tooling and will be produced DCC READY which requires the fitting of an 8PIN decoder into the socket provided. The model carries the Eastleigh depot ‘Spitfire’ plaque, has working directional lighting, NEM coupling pockets, etched nameplates and sprung buffers. The model will cost £149 and is due for release in December 2019.

The model will be available across the counters at both Locomotion (Shildon) and The Railway Museum (York) as well as through the Locomotion Models website at www.locomotionmodels.com

The model can be pre-ordered for a deposit of £30.

• Like 10

• 9 months later...

Does this model have the ehnacements that wer applied to the 33/0 i.e. etched side grills etc.

I actually have the previous HJ version of 33116 and it runs like a dog - low speed is very difficult to control, plus the printed detail is wrong on one side (depot plate at the wrong end) so interested in how this compares

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Does this model have the ehnacements that wer applied to the 33/0 i.e. etched side grills etc.

It has the moulded grilles, which I feel look finer anyway. The bogie springs are correctly inset compared to the original. It runs fine.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 6

On my list to buy, remember seeing it on a railtour which I think the footage is on an old vhs so no photos. 

Just the one from its previous life before railtours. 

1021697589_basingstoke04.png.f7451f92253d33882d751622555d8948.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Am i missing something as the model in the artwork and Stuarts Picture is different to the model in Andys pictures.

Andys photo shows a device on the cab roofs where as Stuarts picture and the artwork do not.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Andys photo shows a device on the cab roofs where as Stuarts picture and the artwork do not.

The model includes, as customer-fit parts, the radio control roof pods (as carried in later use) as shown in my pictures with the etched name and depot plaques fitted too. The review sample will head back to Locomotion for use on their show stand so it will be seen in this form.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine came today. Out of the box, an excellent runner. My only minor gripe is with the slow ploughs. Heljan used to provide 2 sets, one set pre-fitted on the bogies without the middle part so as not to foul the couplings, another set covering the full ploughs which they still provide in a packet. Today they only provide the full ploughs, so if you fit one end with a coupling, you end up with at least one end having no ploughs at all and the loco looks weird with ploughs just on one end.

Below is the new Heljan model next to their original Ashford that has partial ploughs and couplings fitted. Another pic is next to the very old Lima version done in 1994.

33_a.jpg

33_b.jpg

33_c.jpg

33_d.jpg

33_e.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2020 at 10:57, JSpencer said:

Mine came today. Out of the box, an excellent runner. My only minor gripe is with the slow ploughs. Heljan used to provide 2 sets, one set pre-fitted on the bogies without the middle part so as not to foul the couplings, another set covering the full ploughs which they still provide in a packet. Today they only provide the full ploughs, so if you fit one end with a coupling, you end up with at least one end having no ploughs at all and the loco looks weird with ploughs just on one end.

Below is the new Heljan model next to their original Ashford that has partial ploughs and couplings fitted. Another pic is next to the very old Lima version done in 1994.

33_a.jpg

33_b.jpg

33_c.jpg

33_d.jpg

33_e.jpg

Any chance of reinstating the photos?