Where does one get a loco?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

If one wanted to build a model of a British Railways standard 3MT tank, where would one start? Does anyone make a kit for this sort of thing in 7mm, or is it exclusively roll-your-own? I haven't got any idea how to scratchbuild a loco - least not the chassis?Insert other media

Amanda

Amanda

Scorpio models do a kit. Its the old Transport Age model by Jim Harris. Slightly modified b ut not ideal for a beginner I would venture to suggest. I have one to build but not started yet. Scorpio does not have a web site but are advertising on page 5 of the current GOG Gazette.

The phone number is 01633 279897 - PG Ennis is the man

Paul R

Guest WM183

Hello Paul,

Thanks much! I've built a number of brass kits, just nothing in 7mm. I'll get hold of Scorpio and see if they've got a kit that suits me! 

82004 is still waiting for a decision on paint as I have been sidetracked by other modelling projects. If you accept one or two dimensional compromises, do lots of research and approach it as you would a scratch build you will be fine. The 82045 website is an essential source of information.

The kit is what it is: a not too expensive example of an old school kit where some of the components sort of represent rather than exactly mimic the real thing. If MOK were to do one to go with their 4MT, the extra cost would still be money well spent. The new breed of kits are genuinely from a different century.

I thought Scorpio does now have a web site but can’t find it

if Amanda can get to the O gauge Guild  show at Telford on 31st Aug 1st Sept there is everything ones heart desires - except perhaps the limitless riches with which to pay for it.

Perhaps choose a simpler kit (Connoisseur perhaps?) as a first attempt ?

atb

Simon

40 minutes ago, Simond said:

I thought Scorpio does now have a web site but can’t find it

if Amanda can get to the O gauge Guild  show at Telford on 31st Aug 1st Sept there is everything ones heart desires - except perhaps the limitless riches with which to pay for it.

Perhaps choose a simpler kit (Connoisseur perhaps?) as a first attempt ?

atb

Simon

Whilst "old school" in nature, Jim's kits are much more novice friendly. I can certainly recommend the J39, or for that matter, the Ace models D2. To be fair to Scorpio, the instructions begin with a written assumption that the builder has already developed a wide range of skills. There are much easier kits to start with than one where there are fundamental issues with the walschaerts valve gear.

Oh, and don't be tempted by a Hachette Scotsman at a giveaway price..........

Unfortunately, I live in the Netherlands, and will not be able to attend any UK shows this summer - urgh! I'd love to, but the finances just don't work at the moment. I don't mind a kit with some compromises, if a nice looking model can be had - assuming I do my part, of course.