Adverts in posts

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'm getting them too, in particular one for a gadget labelled 'xtra-PC'. I have an ad blocker on both the PC and laptop I use but have disabled both for RMweb as I understand that the advertising revenue helps fund the forum. I'm not getting any security alert so I expect that they're kosher but I thought it worth a mention just in case something untoward is going on.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

The IT dept have been migrating to a new ad-serving platform and there are some things which need sorting out still. Steve and I are discussing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Neil said:

Yes I'm getting them too, in particular one for a gadget labelled 'xtra-PC'. I have an ad blocker on both the PC and laptop I use but have disabled both for RMweb as I understand that the advertising revenue helps fund the forum. I'm not getting any security alert so I expect that they're kosher but I thought it worth a mention just in case something untoward is going on.

1 hour ago, Nelson Jackson said:

Removed by Admin

I do not want to remove all ads thanks, I am happy with the site funding model.

Edited by AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

I do not want to remove all ads thanks, I am happy with the site funding model.

I don't mind official, authorised and legitimate model railway-related ones, but I loathe all others with a passion.

If I want advertising, I'll watch ITV, thanks.

And I don't believe Google when they say, 'we'll try not to show that ad again'. They're lying barstewards.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And I don't believe Google when they say, 'we'll try not to show that ad again'. They're lying barstewards.

I would have thought a barsteward would have to

be standing up, in order to carry out their duties. :)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I used to have it set to the old version on my phone without the ads, this option appears to have been removed 

its not too bad on a PC but the ads take over half the screen on a phone

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

this option appears to have been removed 

Yes, because someone thought he was being clever (as he often does) drawing attention to it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yes, because someone thought he was being clever (as he often does) drawing attention to it.

I’d lost sight of the fact that the ads help towards funding the site which has been incredibly useful and I’ve had a lot of help and advice from fellow members

With this in mind I’ve signed up to become a Gold member so I can continue to benefit from the help and encouragement the site provides

I suppose I’d better change my avatar soon :lol:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JohnR said:

Many adverts seem to be context sensitive, and picking up on browsing history. I'm getting a lot of them for tents at the moment. 

For instance, I am now seeing an advert for software to create an advert!

21 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

With this in mind I’ve signed up to become a Gold member so I can continue to benefit from the help and encouragement the site provides

I may be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that Gold members get ad-free viewing?

I quite like the banner ads that have always been shown - the ones strictly related to railway modelling, model shops, manufacturers etc. I presume those businesses pay for them?  I regard those as useful, relevant and thoroughly justified. 

But the random (or supposedly) “targeted” Google ads are a very unwelcome intrusion. My understanding of their true marketing value to most companies is that any income they generate is more than offset by the business lost due to web site viewers put off by the incessant ads. People either use ad-blockers, or stop visiting Google-ads heavy sites. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I may be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that Gold members get ad-free viewing?

chuffinghell was actually doing it as a gesture of solidarity at that point over the weekend but I have taken steps this morning to eliminate the presence of the additional Google Ads for Gold members. They still see the trade ads; no-one's ever grumbled about those.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

chuffinghell was actually doing it as a gesture of solidarity at that point over the weekend but I have taken steps this morning to eliminate the presence of the additional Google Ads for Gold members. They still see the trade ads; no-one's ever grumbled about those.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet.

Mike.

19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Interesting. Brings to mind an earlier tongue-in-cheek comment on the same subject (April)

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Interesting. Brings to mind an earlier tongue-in-cheek comment on the same subject (April)

I can assure you it wasn't any masterplan; that would involve planning.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

My understanding of their true marketing value to most companies is that any income they generate is more than offset by the business lost due to web site viewers put off by the incessant ads.

I'd be interested to see the research you are basing this on, assuming it's more than just a gut feeling. I'm interested for another project and you appear to have the numbers I need. Thanks in advance.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

My joining was nothing to do with ads, it was more about giving something back as I have found RMWeb and its members very helpful and friendly

My apologies if my previous post was misleading

Plus I wanted to contribute to the BRM team's Christmas party :P (joke!)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What I find interesting is that I never clear my cookies or hide my browsing trail in any way yet the ‘targeted’ Google ads I get here are distinctly not targeted. Eg the last one was for becoming a nail technician! Not relevant for me or (I suspect) a far higher proportion of the forum than the average of the population. You’d have thought they’d be a bit more sophisticated by now

• Agree 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Plus I wanted to contribute to the BRM team's Christmas party :P (joke!)

I'll mention to Steve tomorrow that this is ring-fenced crowd-funding.

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I'd be interested to see the research you are basing this on, assuming it's more than just a gut feeling. I'm interested for another project and you appear to have the numbers I need. Thanks in advance.

That’s a bit like asking a lawyer for an opinion. Ask enough of them and your bound to find the one that gives you the answer you want. :D

However, a typical reference regarding web hosting and ads might be this one:

http://blog.hostbaby.com/2014/06/1-reason-put-ads-site-5-reasons/