Adverts in posts

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Kiwi said:

That’s a bit like asking a lawyer for an opinion. Ask enough of them and your bound to find the one that gives you the answer you want. :D

However, a typical reference regarding web hosting and ads might be this one:

http://blog.hostbaby.com/2014/06/1-reason-put-ads-site-5-reasons/

That's just an opinion piece, I'm looking for some actual research. Years of web usability testing make me wary of perceived wisdom, it's often wrong, or at least not as cut'n'dried as you might hope. Doesn't stop people repeating it though. 

• RMweb Premium

Another forum I'm a member of has a gold equivalent for £2 a month, which removes adverts. I'd pay that.

I'm not paying for Gold here as it's too expensive considering I'm not interested in any benefits other than any reduction in adverts. Perhaps something to consider if you do go down the "Gold subscribers don't see adverts" route.

I realise that isn't what you were saying, but something to consider perhaps. The ads are certainly intrusive at the moment. No issue whatsoever with the normal trade adverts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I think it is totally disgusting that they allow such randomly placed adverts for those sort of products and services on a website like this.

Something should be done to stop it!

I have actually seen a complaint that was virtually verbatim to the above elsewhere - but he more or less mentioned the products that caused such faux outrage :D

7 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That's just an opinion piece, I'm looking for some actual research. Years of web usability testing make me wary of perceived wisdom, it's often wrong, or at least not as cut'n'dried as you might hope. Doesn't stop people repeating it though. 

I totally agree. The same is true of all or any form of advertising / monetisation scheme. I’ve never seen any marketing campaign, before or since the creation of the internet, show fully researched results that can’t be contested. Even the definition of “perceived wisdom” has at least two interpretations. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Is this the shape of things to come? 

In Mobile view the size and form of the ads is intrusive and obstructive; it's a subject of discussion internally! ;)

It is all part of the platform testing so I hope common sense can prevail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 23:00, Colin_McLeod said:

Any progress Andy?  If anything my experience is that the adds on mobile are getting more intrusive and now appear in the middle of posts. See screenshot example:-

Screenshot_20190816-225724_Chrome.jpg

To be fair, that appears to be one of the better ones.........

I'm currently in the Czech Republic and am getting quite a few Czech adverts....

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581

Its not just in the mobile version!

I thought that when logged into the system, the advertising was supposed to be appropriate to (model) railway interests.

OddAdvertisingSmall.jpg.6f3a22039c4f58cb60ccd8169db1d3cc.jpg

The top banner ain't!

Unless its a resource for contemporary passenger decoration...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've never had those kinds of ads anywhere on RMWeb. Mine are limited to model shop/model manufacturer ads which don't bother me at all. 

Aren't those Google ads driven by personal tracking cookies? They note the websites you visit and try to tailor the ads accordingly?

If certain railway enthusiasts are regularly visiting websites selling ladies clothing then that might be the reason. :diablo_mini: 

• RMweb Gold

There are two types of adverts. The ones such as the RCTS banner ad in your screenshot is one where they have signed up with Warners and it is placed on rmweb. This will (presumably) be rail-related adverts, because I cant see Ford or whoever doing something direct.

Then there are google adverts (the top advert in your screenshot). These are delivered by Google, and are "context sensitive" in the sens that it will be based on things like recent browsing history or search terms. If they cant match you up, they will deliver an advert that is targeted at (for example) "everyone living in the UK". Google charge the advertisers for this, and in turn pay a (small) contribution to websites which host their adverts. 

You're right, I just saw the obnoxiously large banner and presumed that it was an artefact of the internal ad-serving system.

However...

Damned if I know why a cookie tracking ad should appear as Firefox is set to purge all History and Data when its closed, and I manually (History|Clear Recent History) do the same when moving from one website to another.  I'm not giving any of these advertising bu@@ers a free ride on my data if I can help it! 

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

If certain railway enthusiasts are regularly visiting websites selling ladies clothing then that might be the reason. :diablo_mini: 

I suppose I picked up an infection/cookie when viewing an external link from a posting.  I'm sure our colleagues might not be happy to reveal their other interests in such a manner!

I also have adblock plus running, though RMWeb is whitelisted to allow advertising support.  Occasional use of RMWeb on tablet/phone is different, ABP keeps the egregrious interpolated ads at bay.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Damned if I know why a cookie tracking ad should appear as Firefox is set to purge all History and Data when its closed, and I manually (History|Clear Recent History) do the same when moving from one website to another.  I'm not giving any of these advertising bu@@ers a free ride on my data if I can help it!

You'll still get an ad, it'll just be random (maybe they've got a pool of default ones).

Not at present, I've done a full clearance and logged back into RMWeb and the Ghastly Google banners have gone have returned after a short period of time.

Ruddy American business practices!

Spoke too soon, they've just come back and I've no idea as to what criteria they're basing their selection.  Currently its the OU...

Edited by Hroth

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Ruddy American business practices!

Scandalous; other people paying for you to have free access to a website.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Scandalous; other people paying for you to have free access to a website.

Its more a reaction to the thesis that the advertiser has the right to force the consumer to view their message (and must be allowed to track the consumer to mine their data at will) while the consumer is not allowed to take steps to prevent tracking or the often intrusive message being thrust under their noses!

As Ive said before, I've whitelisted RMWeb in ABP, but the Google ads are rarely appropriate and are frequently annoying.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well yes. My gripe is that it is my personal information they are earning money from. If they paid me 25% of the proceeds I might be a little more supportive - but I get nothing. And yet, if I refuse to allow these cookies I am not allowed to access many websites, especially ones like Google and Youtube. 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Well yes. My gripe is that it is my personal information they are earning money from. If they paid me 25% of the proceeds I might be a little more supportive - but I get nothing. And yet, if I refuse to allow these cookies I am not allowed to access many websites, especially ones like Google and Youtube.  

You do get free use of Google and YouTube for this. Would you be happy to have an advert-free version that you paid a monthly fee for?  I think YouTube already offer this, but I wonder how many takers there are.

• RMweb Gold

I'm seeing very much larger adverts today than previously. On my iPad in landscape orientation they are so big that I have to scroll to see the RMWeb content that I'm trying to read. Not good.

I had hoped that (non-railway) adverts would be disabled in Gold membership.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I had hoped that (non-railway) adverts would be disabled in Gold membership

If you head to the advert topic in the Gold lounge I have posted a workaround for Goldies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2