Adverts in posts

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If you head to the advert topic in the Gold lounge I have posted a workaround for Goldies.

That sounds great.....just I ain't a gold member, none of the benefits seem worth the price, but that is a different issue......anyhow I was offered a VEGAN leather miniskirt at a reasonable price, just they didn't do them in fat bald bloke size. :cry:

Isn't modern technology wonderful you can get adverts for sorts of trash you would never even thought was on sale when reading how terrible the latest model from Hornby is. :good:

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You do get free use of Google and YouTube for this. Would you be happy to have an advert-free version that you paid a monthly fee for?  I think YouTube already offer this, but I wonder how many takers there are.

I take your point, but others are still free to sell my personal info to anyone and everyone who will buy it - not all for legal purposes, and yet I get nothing from this sale (except spam, or phishing, emails). 

I realise it has been the same with junk mail for decades, but I was not happy with that either. I now discover that someone has hacked a family tree website and has gained all my family history which was added innocently in an effort to help others with research. Is nothing about me sacred? (I really am a miserable old geezer). 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Talltim said:

I’m really not convinced that Google understands the demographics of this forum!

29784722-C16D-4860-A239-9BD049AFF6F2.png

39B6FD4D-8674-4B00-A437-42352CAF1BD5.png

Do you have any idea how many years, PhD's and billions of dollars have been spent getting that ad so wrong? :unsure:

Came across this a while ago:

product.jpg.83c6bb0f50fecf903b45c0b8e2b353ea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 21/08/2019 at 10:47, Hroth said:

Damned if I know why a cookie tracking ad should appear as Firefox is set to purge all History and Data when its closed, and I manually (History|Clear Recent History) do the same when moving from one website to another.  I'm not giving any of these advertising bu@@ers a free ride on my data if I can help it! 

Deleting search history and cookies won't stop an advert being displayed - it will only stop a relevant advert that you might be interested in being displayed.   If there are no model railway cookies in your browser because you have deleted them, then you will at random be shown ladies dresses or solar panels.  If you leave the cookies and history, then you should, in theory, get less annoying adverts.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Deleting search history and cookies won't stop an advert being displayed - it will only stop a relevant advert that you might be interested in being displayed.   If there are no model railway cookies in your browser because you have deleted them, then you will at random be shown ladies dresses or solar panels.  If you leave the cookies and history, then you should, in theory, get less annoying adverts.

HI David

A dress made of solar panels, sounds a good idea. Ladies would be able to recharge their phones on the go.

I am not sure this advert thing and linking with people works all the time. On Faceache I was getting adverts for catheters and undertakers and on Spotify they keep trying to get me to join the army, I done that over 40 years ago.

• Funny 1

I keep seeing lots of ads recently that are no way related to model railways in any way.  If its based on google history then that is a load of b***%&s as the ads that I see bear no resemblance or relation to any websites that I have looked at.

I did try and attach a screen grab shot but for some reason unable to paste the link.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Some of these new ads seem suspiciously like download scams/malware. Is Google choosing them, or has Invision's software been hacked?

No, the software hasn't been hacked. That's a daft thing to say. Google Ads are served based on browsing history, if enabled, or wider blanket ads if you haven't. I haven't seen anything which causes any concerns in that respect.

21 minutes ago, irishmail said:

1. I keep seeing lots of ads recently that are no way related to model railways in any way.  2. If its based on google history then that is a load of b***%&s as the ads that I see bear no resemblance or relation to any websites that I have looked at.

1. Yes, that's what the topic is about.

2. It depends on your settings too.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No, the software hasn't been hacked. That's a daft thing to say. Google Ads are served based on browsing history, if enabled, or wider blanket ads if you haven't. I haven't seen anything which causes any concerns in that respect.

1. Yes, that's what the topic is about.

2. It depends on your settings too.

1.  That is topic drift, my OP was about ads within posts

• Agree 1

If you go to one of these adverts and click the little X in the top corner, Google will close the add.  You can then select "stop seeing this add" or "Why this add?".  If you select the later option, then you can view what Google thinks your add preferences are.  You should see something like the page below.  Therefore Google thinks I'm a 45-54 year old male (which is correct) and then lists categories of websites that I've visited or things that I have searched for or styles of music that I have listened to on Youtube.  All of the adverts that Google serves up will be assigned to one or more of these types of categories and if Google assigns a category to an advert in my profile, then it will be one that I may be shown.  The details for me shown below has a category called "Education", so therefore Google may choose to show me adverts from The Open University.

If you don't want to see a particular category of advert, then you can select it and delete it from your Google profile.  Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a 'model railway category'

image.png.d52f76b6098dc928c92775a8cdb488e2.png

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I can live with (ignore) most of the adverts - it's how things are these days.

What I do find annoying is the large banner ad at the top that comes in a few seconds after the rest of the page, moving everything else down. I open a page, such as 'recent activity', see something that looks interesting and go to click on it. Then everything shifts down and I have clicked on something different.

Could the advert display first, or could an empty frame be inserted so the advert does not shift everything when it appears?

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

1.  That is topic drift, my OP was about ads within posts

I've made my views known internally on the ads within posts. It needs resolving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

With reference to the adverts that have started to appear on posts on this forum I wonder whether it is linked to ones personal browsing history or is it just random ? From a personal point of view I find the situation most annoying and I know a lot of others feel the same even to the point that some have stopped using the Forum's altogether which is a shame. I come onto RM web to relax and share my modelling experiences with other like minded folk and to learn of others points of view and the last thing that I'm looking for is to be bombarded with a load of adverts .....don't we get enough of this from day to day living :angry:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

To all the moaners

I know how you feel, it's so selfish when people provide us a resource we can use and abuse for free, and only put some adverts on to help cover costs (I'm sure they don't get anywhere near paying the running costs of the site), and they provide a way to make them go away by paying a nominal fee to help cover the costs lost by not having the adverts. It's just terrible of them.

To Andy, Phil, and anyone else at Warners who helps maintain and run this site.

You have my sympathy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, gismorail said:

I come onto RM web to relax and share my modelling experiences with other like minded folk and to learn of others points of view

And how does that freedom get paid for?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, gismorail said:

With reference to the adverts that have started to appear on posts on this forum I wonder whether it is linked to ones personal browsing history or is it just random ? From a personal point of view I find the situation most annoying and I know a lot of others feel the same even to the point that some have stopped using the Forum's altogether which is a shame. I come onto RM web to relax and share my modelling experiences with other like minded folk and to learn of others points of view and the last thing that I'm looking for is to be bombarded with a load of adverts .....don't we get enough of this from day to day living :angry:

its definately linked to your browsing history,  at the moment the banner showing metal, clip together, frame company I was looking at a couple of days ago, the bottom ad a metal supply company I was looking at yesterday.. However sometimes this sort of thing can go wrong.. I'm on a company computer on an internal network, so  i occasionally get adverts from what i assume other people are looking at.. like under wear for LARGE women..

I don't find the positioning of the two ad's any problem.. but the top banner ad slows the pages loading..

Oh I've never bought anything from an Ad yet, and don't intend to do so..

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

its definately linked to your browsing history,  at the moment the banner showing metal, clip together, frame company I was looking at a couple of days ago, the bottom ad a metal supply company I was looking at yesterday.. However sometimes this sort of thing can go wrong.. I'm on a company computer on an internal network, so I occasionally get adverts from what i assume other people are looking at.. like under wear for LARGE women..

I often find ads for some product I've considered buying, though not on this site as far as I recall.  However they usually appear after I've bought the product from the supplier in the ad (surely they can check for that and save themselves some money?) or from someone else, or decided not to buy it at all.  

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Wha

t Ian said.

Was there an Ad in that space and you deleted it?

i am certainly happy for the relevant Ads we saw in the past, but all these non-railways/modelling Ads are irritating because the page loads, you go to click and the page readjusts itself to include the Ad and you're now looking - or typing - somewhere else. In some cases at least i don't get an Ad, just a great big grey band occupying 2/3rds of the screen!

Hope you can resolve this satisfactorily for non-Gold members.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, gismorail said:

From my experience it has nothing to do with personal browsing history.   The ads that keep appearing have no relation or links to any websites that I have looked at recently or in the past.  And yes it is very frustrating seeing all these irrelevant ads appear, I would not mind so much if they where model railway related.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

I often find ads for some product I've considered buying, though not on this site as far as I recall.  However they usually appear after I've bought the product from the supplier in the ad (surely they can check for that and save themselves some money?) or from someone else, or decided not to buy it at all.  

I don't think the advert choice is that specific.  If you visit a few websites looking for a garden shed, then Google will add its 'garden' category to your profile and then when you subsequently visit a site like RMWeb, the Google ad server will look at your Google profile, detect that Google thinks you have an interest in gardening products and will show you a random advert, possibly for a garden shed or some similar product, based on the types of product you have previously looked at (and were presumably interested in at some point in time).  Since Google will only add the interest to your profile after you have considered buying something, it makes sense that you will subsequently see an advert after you have made your decision.

The product supplier has only bought an advertising package with Google to place their advert in front of say 100,000 visitors to various sites.  They are not going to try to ascertain whether or not you are or have been a customer for a particular product.  What Google are trying to do with the data that they hold on you is to put what are hopefully more relevant adverts on your screen (as opposed to irrelevant adverts) and from the advertisers point of view, put their advert in front of the right demographic.  For example, knowing that I am a 45-54 year old male, Google will probably choose not to show me adverts for women's sanitary products!