Adverts in posts

• RMweb Premium

I was told that a website still gets the revenue from advertising even if at the other end it has been blocked by an Adblocker.

The advert is still there, you just can't see it.

• Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I was told that a website still gets the revenue from advertising even if at the other end it has been blocked by an Adblocker.

The advert is still there, you just can't see it.

That being the case, why do some sites get quite jumpy about you employing ad block technology and will block access to the site unless you enable ads.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Do the (hosting) sites actually get more revenue if the adverts are actually clicked?

Supposedly yes, but it gets more complex than that. Unsurprisingly!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A new one for me, only since this morning - banner ad spaces down the RHS. Two large blocks run the length of the page. Appears on all 'menu' pages but not in the actual threads (Samsung Tab A, using Chrome browser):

Screenshot_20200225-085915_Chrome.jpg.03322ee952faff4d73b2c93773ca6922.jpg

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, keefer said:

A new one for me, only since this morning - banner ad spaces down the RHS. Two large blocks run the length of the page. Appears on all 'menu' pages but not in the actual threads (Samsung Tab A, using Chrome browser):

Screenshot_20200225-085915_Chrome.jpg.03322ee952faff4d73b2c93773ca6922.jpg

We're currently testing a few advert configurations throughout the site.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I think one of the problems with certain types of pop-ups is that they may use a type of script that could potentially be malicious.

Kaspersky by default blocks this type of script, which means some websites won't open because "you have an adblocker" even with adblockers turned off.

"railpictures.net" does this and I had to disable the script blocker to see it.

• RMweb Premium

This new layout is very intrusive, especially on a tablet device where the Ad accounts for over a third of the width of the screen and squashes the post onto many more lines.  Please take it away!!

image.png.e2f6c44d8e0044b750b39b8c7a0d21b8.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
Just now, dhjgreen said:

Please take it away!!

Layouts are being tested, just let them get on with it rather than shouting at people - especially when you're not paying anything for the service.

When the techies have settled things down I will ensure it's less obtrusive to Gold users.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Layouts are being tested, just let them get on with it rather than shouting at people - especially when you're not paying anything for the service.

When the techies have settled things down I will ensure it's less obtrusive to Gold users.

We can wait. Everything is still perfectly legible on a 13.3" Macbook.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

You'd think Gold users would get more adverts, seeing as those are the ones with the money :)

Perfectly fine on my phone, what blank bits there are appear below all the interesting bits.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Layouts are being tested, just let them get on with it rather than shouting at people - especially when you're not paying anything for the service...

I take your point, and am not going to shout, but when it becomes uncomfortable to access RMweb because 40% of the screen is taken up by a gratuitously flashing ad, then my need to avoid having a migraine type vision disturbance initiated must take priority.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, keefer said:

Two large blocks run the length of the page. Appears on all 'menu' pages but not in the actual threads (Samsung Tab A, using Chrome browser):

These appear on the thread pages as well for me - iMac, Safari 13.0.4 (which reminds me, I must apply the most recent update).  They don't scroll with the thread which means that for most of the height of the page there's just a large area of grey space on the RHS.  Which seems a waste.

image.png.0ddf7f4fe09f8ea337690855f9de3e3c.png

(Just providing user feedback in case they haven't got round to testing this browser yet.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Is the panel on the RH side to be a fixed number of pixels wide?

On my desktop with (1920x1080) 27" monitor it is only about a 25% of the screen compared with the (1366x768) 16" laptop with about 40%

The responsiveness in desktop format is the main issue which I have fed back through Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for information Andy, On  7" Android tablet. . . Reading a topic In Landscape I get the three adverts at the top/ RHS then blank space down the page below the adverts, loses about a third ? Of the available viewing screen. In Portrait I get the topic full width of screen and then the three adverts appear at the BOTTOM of the page, after all posts.  My preference would be to put the adverts either at the top, or bottom, before or after the thread posts as in the portrait version so that full viewing screen is available for viewing te actual thread content  :good_mini:  I'm sure the little backroom tinkerers will get there eventually :rolleyes:

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

In Portrait I get the topic full width of screen and then the three adverts appear at the BOTTOM of the page, after all posts

This is a result of the responsiveness I referred to a bit earlier. With having to do a software upgrade this afternoon it's meant that they haven't had chance to look at what I fed back to Steve. This will end up going back and forth a bit before we get to a balance. 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

This is a result of the responsiveness I referred to a bit earlier. With having to do a software upgrade this afternoon it's meant that they haven't had chance to look at what I fed back to Steve. This will end up going back and forth a bit before we get to a balance. 

20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Did you mention the incidents of double-posting? I would guess it's to do with the user re-clicking the 'Submit reply' button, as they don't believe they clicked it 1st time.