Adverts in posts

@Andy Y Question, does the zoom function have any impact on processing a post.

I've just noticed when on 175% on Chrome that inserting the image in the above post didn't occur within the editing area and then it took an absolute age to save the reply.

Ironically, as soon as I reset the zoom to 100% the reply suddenly saved.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

does the zoom function have any impact on processing a post.

You wouldn't think it would; would you?

I'll have a play tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

OK; so how much would you think is reasonable to contribute to access to the site without adverts? 

Feel free to equate it to how many hours usage you get per month etc.

Conversely,  you could determine how much of the Gold member fee is taken up by the magazine subscription and thus how much a Silver fee could be.

And yes, I'd be prepared to pay for a non-mag membership.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Steve and I are discussing various possibilities but what have you got against having the mag? ;)

I'd consider paying for a membership that included a subscription to the print version (or a mag subscription that included enhanced membership of RMweb - don't mind how it's packaged...). I don't read online mags.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed on my Android phone that in posts the first one is at the top then I have to scroll down the equivalent of two complete pages to see the rest of the posts.

Odd!

Edit there was two ads below all the posts, so why all the blank space between the top and second posts?

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think advertising is supposed to be intrusive, if it faded into the background then it wouldn't be doing what it was designed to do. I do have an ad blocker on both this pc and my laptop but it's disabled for RMweb. I chose not to subscribe under the gold member scheme, so I consider adverts to be a worthwhile price to pay so that I can enjoy the benefits of the forum.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I spoke to Andy earlier today - it's still work in progress, things will change.

A form of membership that automatically excludes the adverts would be attractive to me. The current Gold membership is expensive in my terms because it doesn't offer anything I value for the price; which I find to be expensive even if I did value it. Which is a bit Irish I know, but you might get my drift. Something that contributes to the coffers but doesn't drain the pension.

I'd rather not go down the route of an ad blocker

On 27/02/2020 at 12:14, PenrithBeacon said:

I have to say that I'm finding the advertising to be intrusive.

Me too, a quarter of the screen width with nothing on it.......

• Moderators
4 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Andy also said the site was being optimised for desk top use.

Where did I say that?

A format needs to be determined which is scalable and responsive to all formats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

A format needs to be determined which is scalable and responsive to all formats.

That Andy, IMHO is the most crucial part, so that all devices get the same proportion, when in landscape mode.

Edited by melmerby

On 27/02/2020 at 14:19, melmerby said:

I've noticed on my Android phone that in posts the first one is at the top then I have to scroll down the equivalent of two complete pages to see the rest of the posts.

Odd!

Edit there was two ads below all the posts, so why all the blank space between the top and second posts?

I get that too, on an iPhone. If I click on first unread, and I’ve already seen the first post of a page, the page loads at a completely blank bit, which is kinda disconcerting!

759DFC96-40B1-4A53-B38E-CF70AB1EA5AC.jpeg
However on this particular page at this time I get the top post, then an advert for The Who, then a full page of blank before the second post

Edited by Talltim

On 27/02/2020 at 04:14, PenrithBeacon said:

I have to say that I'm finding the advertising to be intrusive.

We are beset with ads from every media source and a few others all the time these days.  Whats a few more?:rolleyes:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2020 at 13:26, AY Mod said:

The responsiveness in desktop format is the main issue which I have fed back through Steve.

I took this to mean preference for desk top as the reply was to a post about the proportion of the screen taken up by ads on different devices.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146611-adverts-in-posts/&do=findComment&comment=3859609

Edited by dhjgreen

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've searched and found this thread due to my concern with the animated ads moving the screen content and causing me to click on ads or topics unintentionally. I note this has been mentioned a number of times throughout the course of this thread.

I completely understand the need for advertising and that the selection of ads and their placement is largely down to Google. I am not particularly bothered by most advertising in itself , targeted or otherwise.

Can I add my hope however that when changes are made, as has been trailed above, something will happen to prevent ads from moving screen content outside users' control?  Its been getting beyond irritating recently causing me to curtail my browsing of RM Web in frustration, not a situation I want to become a habit .

Regards,

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1