Weathering windscreens

• RMweb Gold

In that case, John, you will not have any problems with fogging. If you feel you want to be ultra safe then mask the glass before starting, but you could quite safely airbrush your mix over the glass and then clean up afterwards with white spirit on a cotton bud.

There's an example here, albeit not a class 25:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/21575-a-land-rover-series-1-of-indeterminate-length-step-7-windows/

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Blog link added.
  • Thanks 1

I think white spirit does tend to fog clear plastics. I use Flory Models washes for clear parts, they're basically a clay suspended in water which is slathered on, left to dry, then wiped off leaving behind bits that you want dirty. you could also get a similar effect from pigments or pastels.

I used Flory Dark Dirt on my Sentinel which turned out fairly nice.

422562086_2019-06-0219-59-41(C)crop.jpg.3010a67547bf1eec71747383cfebed7f.jpg

776206778_2019-06-0219-55-21(C)crop.jpg.89243ecd065f0908d40f18c4f3903054.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2019 at 19:39, Dunsignalling said:

If you mask off the area covered by the wipers, any fogging to the rest of the screens should add to rather than detract from realism.  

John

Important mention of the wiper-swept area. Few drivers want to drive while peering through a dirty screen. After all, if they misread a signal, they will be the first ones to suffer any consequences! Try to ensure that part of the screen is squeaky-clean.