Planning a model

• RMweb Premium

Even though I space that most here would consider as generous if not huge, I do not model actual locations because I do not consider that the space available could do justice to the sorts of locations I have in mind.  [The total space available is roughly 10m x 6m but houses several layouts.]

I therefore build a layout based on what might be typical for the area I am modelling but necessarily quite truncated and simplified to fit the space.  For each layout I create a history to explain why the line was built, how it developed, and from that decide what traffic will run on the layout and what facilities will need to be built into the layout.   This process sometimes has to recycle because all of the things in my history and plan will not fit in the space available.   Often it is possible to model what has to be discarded off-scene, so the traffic continues to run but is handled somewhere else - if that makes sense.  

The history construction is important for me since it justifies everything we see - static and mobile.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For my last 2 serious layouts (not the children's one) I found real locations. For the first of these locations I was dictated by the space that I had available. This space severely restricted the choice of location, however this in turn proved to be a blessing as it allowed me to really go to town with the model. For the next and current serious model I still had space limitations however I recognised that I wanted a more active layout as opposed to the very small single track branch station. I realised that a station was out of the question with the space that I had (the compromises would have been unacceptable to me). This started me looking at other options that would be scenically interesting to model, but that also had some operational interest. Coombe Viaduct seemed to fit both of these criteria. A wonderful viaduct crossing a small creek hit the scenic part and operationally you have the entrance to the goods yard on the viaduct (I have now started looking at the goods yard as an extension, it only adds a couple of foot to the overall length). There is are regular services that turn back at this point. There is heavy passenger traffic and some goods traffic. This traffic was obviously time frame dependant but it hit my preferred modelling period a treat. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My approach was determined by decisions taken in the following order:-

.Area and period to be modelled (South Wales 1950s in my case)

.Viable location.  Ports/harbours were considered but I eventually chose a Valley BLT set in an actual location that in reality is not populated and never had a railway.

.Space available to build layout. 

.Minimum radius. 

.Maximum train length. 

.Control method (DC/DCC)

.Couplings

No start was made until these questions were settled, and I didn't draw a scale plan, just laid track ‘freestyle’ with regard to traffic needs, i.e. clearance in run around loop, and for loco in run around headshunt.  The layout has developed in a fairly organic form from that and taken on a life and identity of it’s own within the framework of a mental idea of what it was eventually going to be like. 

This method has worked well for me, I suspect because I have had a clear concept in my mind’s eye to match the actual model to.  It might not be suitable for everyone...

• Like 1

I've copied most of the below from a reply I left on another thread

When planning a layout what I do is ask myself....

Which sphere of model railways I enjoy the most?

What space do I have?

What era do I like best?

What stock to I want to run?

What layouts do I gravitate towards at an exhibition?

I then design a plan - not to scale, or 2 or 3.... and usually end up with a plan containing elements from them all, then try and fit that plan into the space I have available, on paper/Anyrail.   If I cant, then I drop off bits that are duplicated or not needed for operation. 

To give you an example, my current (under construction layout) started off as an 11ft x 6ft u-shape, with a goods yard, mainline and parcels depot.  By taking into consideration layout storage and transportation, stock I have at the moment vs stock I would need for the whole plan, I now have this down to a 6ft by 15" goods yard.  This gives me what I need, a line for trains to arrive and depart, and some sidings to shunt the stock around in.  I can also easily change it from a goods to parcels scenario.  I've designed my layout to be extendable and I've recently been sketching another layout that will incorporate it, eventually taking me back to the 11ft x 6ft u-shape.

Remember you dont need to cram lots in to make a layout interesting, put thought into the design, give it a reason, give your stock destinations, design the track plan so that it has to be 'worked'  The key element of my layout is the arrival/departure siding, this is the same length as the fiddle yard (sector plate), however the headshunt is shorter and not all wagons can go in all sidings, this means the incoming trains have to be broken up and shunted around.  I have a steel loading shed, a general loading dock and a distribution warehouse siding

Once you have the basics, draw the plan full size either on paper or with track and work some stock on it, then when fine tuned, get the boards built asap.  Seeing the layout start shape, even at baseboard stage, is a major boost 

I forgot to add - if you are struggling, try base your initial plan on a layout that you like, and then modify it.  The basis of mine is the oft copied Inglenook

Joe

All good advice above.

I would add that if you have no or little experience on the scenic side I would start with something very modest.  Say a couple of 3' x 18" boards and a 3 ' fiddle yard.  Within this size you can accommodate a small platform with loop and a couple of sidings and the board size makes it portable and easy to work on, say at a friend's house.  As you develop your scenic ideas and skills you may want to re-do some things but the modest size means you will probably complete it before you move on to more complex things.  This size will limit you to tank locos, autotrains, a couple of bogie coaches and 4 wheel wagons.  If you are into stock construction rather than RTR the layout can make a good photo display backdrop.  Operation will be limited but once you have honed your construction skills you could plan something more complex to suit your operational interests for the next layout!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You need to think about what you want it to do as well.  Do you like shunting, breaking down and making up trains, or do you want to see trains in action running through a scene?   Or some sort of combination of these?   Are you a loco fan happy with a shed/MPD/TMD layout?  Do you need passenger traffic, which on a steam layout basically trebles the space you need?

Nobody but you can answer these questions, which are better answered before you start!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1